X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mu pulls out of Pre...

... sparking some fierce debate

If athletes have said they are competing and they are not injured, they have a responsibility to paying spectators to turn up. There should be a financial penalty for athletes withdrawing without good reason.

Comment

Originally posted by Chafford1 View Post
      If athletes have said they are competing and they are not injured, they have a responsibility to paying spectators to turn up. There should be a financial penalty for athletes withdrawing without good reason.
      100% agree!!!

Comment

A recent example - a fan posted that they bought a ticket for Birmingham to see ETH.and was very disappointed she didn't show up but then subsequently appeared at a meeting in Jamaica. That fan will think twice before buying a ticket for next year's meeting.

Comment

I guess Mu didn't want to face Hodgkinson in that form...

Comment

Originally posted by Wiederganger View Post
            I guess Mu didn't want to face Hodgkinson in that form...
            Sarcasm? Mu just ran 1:22.74 and 50.42

Comment

Unless she's injured, Mu should turn up.

Comment

It would ruin international meets, if athletes get punished for not appearing;if an athlete or manager or agent says the athlete is not fit to compete,whether true or not, how do you prove if the athlete and team are being economical with the truth. You cannot. The same if your fave player who wish to see gets a little injured in all pro ball sports. It's tough enough for the powers that be to convince us of all athletes being tested and found clean so how would you check up on injuries,supposed or otherwise. Just the way it is in all entertainments and sport.

Comment

Originally posted by clementina View Post
                  Just the way it is in all entertainments and sport.
                  No.

If I paid money to see Black Flag and when I turned up to the venue and I got Wilson Smith's Accordion Orchestra playing hits from the '30s I'd demand my money back and get it! If I paid money to see ManU vs Barca and got local 2nd grades sides I'd demand my money back and get it!

However, your point about the difficulty of validating injuries is true but not the real issue. The issue is that the sport remains amateur in attitude despite being supposedly professional.

The IAAF reserves the right to sponsorship money but doesn't employ the athletes and deems them independent contractors. This creates a fundamental misalignment between the needs of the sport and the needs of the athletes.

If athletes were truly independent contractors, they'd be able to have, and advertise, any personal sponsor they wished whenever they wished. The IAAF has typically half arsed the "professional" era just like they do with everything else.

Comment

Originally posted by ATK View Post

Sarcasm? Mu just ran 1:22.74 and 50.42
                    So why- very unprofessionally - has she pulled out? Indeed, has Athing given a reason for her absence? BTW, in that 600m Mu beat Goule by 1.35sec, whereas, in Birmingham, Goule was 1,50sec behind a Hodgkinson who seemed to be running well within herself.
                    Last edited by IOM1944; 05-25-2022, 03:55 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by IOM1944 View Post
                      BTW
                      So why- very unprofessionally - has she pulled out? Indeed, has Athing given a reason for her absence? BTW, in that 600m Mu beat Goule by 1.35sec, whereas, in Birmingham, Goule was 1,50sec behind a Hodgkinson who seemed to be running well within herself.
                      Unprofessionally? Just the opposite.
                      Obviously it was not in her professional best interests to compete there and then. That's between her and her coach, certainly not us. Second-guessing their motives, which she is not obligated to share, perhaps for personal reasons, is a fool's errand.

Comment

Originally posted by Atticus View Post
                        Obviously it was not in her professional best interests to compete there and then. That's between her and her coach, certainly not us. Second-guessing their motives, which she is not obligated to share, perhaps for personal reasons, is a fool's errand.
                        What! She shouldn't have signed up for the meet in the first place! Her actions have put fans out of pocket. Fans who might not turn up next time she is SUPOSED to run. I'm amazed that you even try to defend her actions. Again, T&F is showing, again, that it doesn't know how to handle its affairs. It's a business! Imagine going to a rock festival, and finding that the act you were most looking forward to see perform have decided that the moment isn't right for them, and don't turn up. And, we wonder why t&f is still a Cinderella sport.

Comment

Originally posted by IOM1944 View Post
                          What! She shouldn't have signed up for the meet in the first place!
                          It's a business!.
                          When she initially agreed circumstances were obviously different.
                          It's a business to her too! She must do what's best for HER in the long run.
                          I am most certainly defending her actions, just as you wish that people would defend the choices you make.

Comment

Disagree!
                            Athletes are performers---i.e. entertainers!
                            The networks & other media have been using their names to promote the meet---not that the Pre Classic NEEDS promoting!!
                            I'm sure they're not happy having to explain to their viewers or readers why a star athlete has withdrawn--without knowing why!
                            Just a simple 1 line tweet would suffice---I felt a hamstring tightness and won't be at Pre as a precaution!
                            And then add an apology!
                            NOT because said athlete is "obligated" to do so, but because they want to be seen as reliable, as a Professional in any profession should want to be!
                            Enough DNS's, and fans might not attend or view future meets!

When a person calls in sick to work----even if they are NOT sick!!---at least they're courteous enough to give their boss an excuse!
                            Except for Jacobs, all the other drop-outs have NOT said why, as far as I know!
                            It's like they called their boss---said I'm staying home today!---then hung up the phone!!

True story--
                            I was a taxi driver in Eureka CA, but wanted that day off to go to a marathon to cheer my friends on!
                            I called in sick, moaning on the phone to make it sound real!
                            Then I got out on the road to hitchhike to the race (40 miles south).
                            Another taxi driver saw me!
                            OOPS!!

LOL
                            Last edited by aaronk; 05-25-2022, 04:18 PM.

Comment

So, if you go to a show because the headline act is famous and a fave of one and that person isn't there do you expect to hear why or do you accept without demur or question the shows promoters etc refuse to say why. Weird. !!.I dont want to know the details of Mu's health if she is slightly ill or injured.Every week in soccer certain players dont appear for some time due to knocks ; it's not a state secret for goodness sake. So the clubs always tell the fans what's up. The phrase turning professional is used about athletes, so be a pro.If I pay money to see someone I feel fully entitled to know if the very best, who are used by meet promoters to entice the punters, cannot be there for whatever reason.

Comment

Working...
                              X