This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by IOM1944 View Post

So why- very unprofessionally - has she pulled out? Indeed, has Athing given a reason for her absence?
    How could you say it was done very unprofessionally if you don't even know the reason?

Comment

The athletes can choose to not show up or withdraw but, particularly if their names are being used to promote the meet.....and in this particular meets case...STILL being used to promote the meet since their names and pictures appear on the current start lists which do not include them there should be some required explanation. However how that is enforced is up to more informed thinkers than I.

Comment

Originally posted by ATK View Post
        How could you say it was done very unprofessionally if you don't even know the reason?
        Wouldn't the fact that we don't know the reason be the unprofessional part?

Comment

Some of the examples are way off. Track has a multitude of events, it is not like the main band is not playing, but a key signer is out....

Comment

Originally posted by NotDutra5 View Post

Wouldn't the fact that we don't know the reason be the unprofessional part?
            No because, IMO, were making an assumption. I think because of all the other pull outs, were assuming weather, Which it could be. But for all we know it could be a serious personal issue that would make everyone say she was justified in pulling out. We just dont know.

Sure, Ill be attending the meet and she was one of the top names I was hoping to see run, but unless she says something like "I just wanted to annoy the meet and fans" I dont see it as unprofessional.

And this is Prefontaine. There are HUGE names still running.

Comment

I would look at a concert or football match differently than a track and field meet. Pre, for example, has amazing fields across the board. I might rue not seeing Mu or someone else, but there are dozens more great athletes I can watch.

Comment

This thread centers on Athing Mu.
                But imagine if there were suddenly threads for ALL of the drop-outs!!
                Doesn't the curiosity about Mu then become an echo heard ad infinitum?
                And then it becomes what it is---a professional not fulfilling his or her agreement with no reason/excuse given---a dozen or so times over!!

Comment

Originally posted by aaronk View Post
                  a professional not fulfilling his or her agreement with no reason/excuse given
                  We know the terms of her agreement with Nike and the Prefontaine Classic?

Comment

No because, IMO, were making an assumption. I think because of all the other pull outs, were assuming weather, Which it could be. But for all we know it could be a serious personal issue that would make everyone say she was justified in pulling out. We just dont know.

Sure, Ill be attending the meet and she was one of the top names I was hoping to see run, but unless she says something like "I just wanted to annoy the meet and fans" I dont see it as unprofessional.

And this is Prefontaine. There are HUGE names still running.
                    In other professional sports when a player is unavailable, there is nearly always a reason provided. I haven't assumed anything. Whether it be injury, weather, personal issue or I just don't feel like running I think the professional way of doing things is to at least acknowledge the missing athlete whether that comes from the athlete, their reps or the meet itself.

Comment

My God, be reasonable!
                      Imagine this---
                      You have a date with someone new.
                      You shower, brush your teeth, dress carefully, drive to the restaurant...but she doesn't show up!
                      No phone call, no text message, nothing!
                      She just leaves you hanging!
                      An evening wasted!

Would you ask her out again?

Comment

Originally posted by gm View Post
                        I would look at a concert or football match differently than a track and field meet. Pre, for example, has amazing fields across the board. I might rue not seeing Mu or someone else, but there are dozens more great athletes I can watch.
                        This sure would be a miserable method for the meet promoters to be handling things....although in this case that seems to be the method.

Comment

Originally posted by aaronk View Post

My God, be reasonable!
                          Imagine this---
                          You have a date with someone new.
                          You shower, brush your teeth, dress carefully, drive to the restaurant...but she doesn't show up!
                          No phone call, no text message, nothing!
                          She just leaves you hanging!
                          An evening wasted!

Would you ask her out again?
                          maybe!

Comment

But, what about her fans? Again. it;s like going to a rock festival only to find that the act that you really wanted to see didn't turn up because "artistically" the moment wasn't right. And then - to add insult to injury soebody tells you, "but there are lots of other acts to see".

Comment

Everyone sure seems to be in a hurry to trash people without having all the information!!!

Comment

Here's another way of looking at the "no show" situation. I have been following athletics for over 60s years but within T&F I have a very small area of interest. Toss out the throws because they don't interest me at all. Also, I'm not interested in the jumps. The sprints? Not interested! Too short with no tactics and no unfolding storyline Don't follow the hurdles or the steeplechase. Now, as you can see that narrows down my interest to middle/long distances races, and so if one of those races is compromised then a big chunk of what interests me is gone.

Comment

Working...
                                X