This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SoCal45 View Post
    Everyone sure seems to be in a hurry to trash people without having all the information!!!
    They're bitter because they thought this would be the weekend where she throws the kitchen sink at the WR.

They need to get over themselves. She's young enough that there'll be another time for her to cross the 600 mark in 1:23.x or 1:24.x, on a day (unlike her last Prefontaine appearance) where she'll feel good enough in that last 200 to kick hard and take Kratochvílová down...

...And besides, she announced her withdrawal yesterday, 4 days in advance! It wasn't like she withdrew that same morning or on the spot! It would have been a mistake if she went there and sandbagged it because of an injury or something else.
    Last edited by CookyMonzta; 05-25-2022, 06:09 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by IOM1944 View Post
      Here's another way of looking at the "no show" situation. I have been following athletics for over 60s years but within T&F I have a very small area of interest. Toss out the throws because they don't interest me at all. Also, I'm not interested in the jumps. The sprints? Not interested! Too short with no tactics and no unfolding storyline Don't follow the hurdles or the steeplechase. Now, as you can see that narrows down my interest to middle/long distances races, and so if one of those races is compromised then a big chunk of what interests me is gone.
      Quick solution be a fan of the entire sport; it makes meets so much miore enjoyable. Mu's out - oh, well, on to the race as it is and all the other events.

I'm with SoCal, why are we making assumptions without knowing the reasons, which the athletes may not what to share for personal reasons, esp, an injury or a personal life reason!

Comment

Originally posted by IOM1944 View Post
        Here's another way of looking at the "no show" situation. I have been following athletics for over 60s years but within T&F I have a very small area of interest. Toss out the throws because they don't interest me at all. Also, I'm not interested in the jumps. The sprints? Not interested! Too short with no tactics and no unfolding storyline Don't follow the hurdles or the steeplechase. Now, as you can see that narrows down my interest to middle/long distances races, and so if one of those races is compromised then a big chunk of what interests me is gone.
        You don't like to watch Ryan Crouser, Grant Holloway, Mondo Duplantis, SAFP, ET-H, Yaroslava Muhuchkh, Gianmarco Tamberi, Valarie Allman, Anita Wlodarczyk??
        And you say you're a Track and Field fan??
        LOL

Comment

Originally posted by aaronk View Post

My God, be reasonable!
          Imagine this---
          You have a date with someone new.
          You shower, brush your teeth, dress carefully, drive to the restaurant...but she doesn't show up!
          No phone call, no text message, nothing!
          She just leaves you hanging!
          An evening wasted!

Would you ask her out again?
          Actually, your date texted you. She is just not telling you why she isn't coming.

Comment

Originally posted by TN1965 View Post

Actually, your date texted you. She is just not telling you why she isn't coming.
            But Mu has NOT texted us!
            She hasn't tweeted, nor has her agent, nor have her friends or her coach!!
            She says I'm not coming, but no word as to why!
            We're not asking for much!
            And BTW, other athletes in the past HAVE tweeted or messaged about a niggle or a twinge or whatever!
            Mu and the others (aside from Jacobs) haven't said a word!!
            THAT is what this is about!

Comment

Originally posted by gm View Post
              I would look at a concert or football match differently than a track and field meet. Pre, for example, has amazing fields across the board. I might rue not seeing Mu or someone else, but there are dozens more great athletes I can watch.
              Agree with this, and Atticus. The concert headliner is not the right analogy. It is more like going to a Broadway show only to find out before the curtain goes up that the understudy will be filling in for one of the main actors. Sure you're disappointed, but it usually does not entirely eliminate the enjoyment of live theatre on Broadway.

Comment

But Mu has NOT texted us!
                She hasn't tweeted, nor has her agent, nor have her friends or her coach!!
                She says I'm not coming, but no word as to why!
                We're not asking for much!
                And BTW, other athletes in the past HAVE tweeted or messaged about a niggle or a twinge or whatever!
                Mu and the others (aside from Jacobs) haven't said a word!!
                THAT is what this is about!
                In your scenario, Mu texted her date (the meet organizers) at least four days ahead of time. They won't be left hanging at the restaurant.

When is the last time you bought a ticket to a meet?

Comment

You don't like to watch Ryan Crouser, Grant Holloway, Mondo Duplantis, SAFP, ET-H, Yaroslava Muhuchkh, Gianmarco Tamberi, Valarie Allman, Anita Wlodarczyk??
                  And you say you're a Track and Field fan??
                  LOL
                  Well, T&F is artificially put together. For example, one of my mates was a power lifter and he likes the throws but the distance running events don't interest him at all. Put, another way, marathon running has more in common with tour cycling than the throws or the jumps. I hope you get my drift.

Comment

Originally posted by wamego relays champ View Post

Agree with this, and Atticus. The concert headliner is not the right analogy. It is more like going to a Broadway show only to find out before the curtain goes up that the understudy will be filling in for one of the main actors. Sure you're disappointed, but it usually does not entirely eliminate the enjoyment of live theatre on Broadway.
                    Aye. And if their enjoyment of the theater was ruined by a main actor's (or the main actor's) absence, then it proves my point, that they were really clamoring for Mu's presence, and for her to break her AR once again and launch a serious attack on the WR. There will be another time for that.

Comment

The only thing i was thinking was that she and her coach believes she's not in the same form she was in last year at this time which is understandable. Who knows what the issue at this point is.
                      Apparently Ignorance is bliss

Comment

Originally posted by Wiederganger View Post
                        I guess Mu didn't want to face Hodgkinson in that form...
                        Yeah because Mu has so much to prove.

Comment

My God, be reasonable!
                          Imagine this---
                          You have a date with someone new.
                          You shower, brush your teeth, dress carefully, drive to the restaurant...but she doesn't show up!
                          No phone call, no text message, nothing!
                          She just leaves you hanging!
                          An evening wasted!

Would you ask her out again?

If she can run 1:55.04 for 800 meters, the answer is absolutely YES!

Comment

Originally posted by NotDutra5 View Post

In other professional sports when a player is unavailable, there is nearly always a reason provided. I haven't assumed anything. Whether it be injury, weather, personal issue or I just don't feel like running I think the professional way of doing things is to at least acknowledge the missing athlete whether that comes from the athlete, their reps or the meet itself.
                            There's a lot of examples these days, especially in the NBA regular season, of star athletes simply taking a game off to rest. The NBA, MLB, NFL or NHL can guarantee the team will play, but not individual players (even if no injury).

Comment

Originally posted by CookyMonzta View Post
                              ...And besides, she announced her withdrawal yesterday, 4 days in advance! It wasn't like she withdrew that same morning or on the spot! It would have been a mistake if she went there and sandbagged it because of an injury or something else.
                              This

Comment

Originally posted by ATK View Post

Sarcasm? Mu just ran 1:22.74 and 50.42
                                Nope. Hodgkinson appears to be in great form. If Mu does not feel on top of her game, for whatever reason, why would she want to potentially lose to her? Better to withdraw.

Comment

Working...
                                X