Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wariner Equals PR At 20.59

(story on front page)

Guess he should move up to the 800 after all; he's clearly a bum as a short sprinter. :-)

edited to note that it was EQUAL of his PR

'Only' equals his PR from two years ago. He's gonna have to show me more before I let him off the hook as a half-miler!

Comment

Originally posted by tafnut
      'Only' equals his PR from two years ago. He's gonna have to show me more before I let him off the hook as a half-miler!
      His HS PR was 20.41 but there was no wind guage, so it is not a "wind-legal" mark. However, given a 20.41 time from so long ago, he clearly has speed. Also, Wariner has generally not tried to gear up quickly in the spring, so this mark is likely no where near what he can run when in top shape.

Comment

Headwind

It should be noted that this time was into a -1.0 headwind with no real competition pushing him.

Comment

Re: Headwind

Originally posted by txag
          with no real competition pushing him.
          I would think 100's of rabid track geeks trying to make him a half-miler would be enough incentive to make him run as fast as possible!

Comment

I worked the meet at Baylor Saturday. I heard the 200m but did not get to see it because I was on the opposite side of the field with my back to the finish side and my eyes glued to the LJ takeoff board . Happens all the time.

Comment

Tafnut:

Only idiot distance runner type coaches would even contemplate a move to the 800m so early in his career. Unfortunately, there are too many idiot distance runner coaches now acting as head coaches at the university, college, and high school ranks.

Kurt

Comment

KF, please go on record with these coaches names and universities.

Comment

Originally posted by Kurt Francis
                  Tafnut:
                  Only idiot distance runner type coaches would even contemplate a move to the 800m so early in his career. Unfortunately, there are too many idiot distance runner coaches now acting as head coaches at the university, college, and high school ranks.
                  Kurt
                  He SEEMS to be doing OK in the 400. If it ain't broke . . .

Comment

Originally posted by tafnut
                    He SEEMS to be doing OK in the 400. If it ain't broke . . .
                    Are you kidding us, tafnut?! What, you're referring to his Olympic title? How many have already done that? Or do you mean his World title? Others have done it! Or let me guess - you're referring to his sub-44 clocking? Please! Seven other men have done that!

Clearly Wariner needs to something - and quickly - if he expects to make a name for himself in this sport.

Comment

What is the world record for running 200m (or 400m) backward? Maybe he has a shot there.

Comment

Originally posted by EPelle
                        What is the world record for running 200m (or 400m) backward? Maybe he has a shot there.
                        Literally? Up on his tippy-toes? Or going around the track in the non-traditional route, with the turns on his right?

Comment

Wariner will be running the 200 meters at the Drake Relays as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Kurt Francis
                            Tafnut:

Kurt
                            I hope my former (distance) coach is not included. He tried that with me when I was running.

Comment

EPelle:

Nice try at baiting me into naming names...my friends in the coaching world know who I would name off the top of my head. The "idiots" I refer to are sometimes great guys and gals personally, but quite often they think of sprinters as a necessary evil on a team. I can name you programs out there that are obviously HEAVILY biased towards distance runners while neglecting the sprints, hurdles, and field events. I think we can all name those programs without using too much brain power.

Kurt

Comment

Working...
                              X