Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by EPelle
    I:ve told this story before, but it is worth mentioning again.
    There used to be a guy like you on the historical board, Swede! :P

Comment

Aha, just caught the drift there sunny. ;-)

Comment

Originally posted by HST
        He is a little over 6'4", 210 lbs, and squats 475 as far as his physique goes, and this was the first race he has ever run.
        A 16-year old who is 6'4, 210, 475-squat, is definitely excellent raw material. If football doesn't get him, I'd say try discus first, but then learn many others. A Deca may be in his future. But this is all moot, cuz we all know he'll end up full-time football.

Comment

EPelle - thanks for sharing that story, he is a sophomore, and is also very determined. He has had what I consider to be extraordinary luck in crossing paths with someone a week ago that seems to see potential in him and I must admit, is solely responsible for his sudden interest in running in a race. Was it not for the good fortune of meeting Claston Bernard, he would never have entered this race...

Track fan - scarily good call, he is a TE on the football team

Comment

Very good fortune, meeting an accomplished decathlete. Bernard can certainly point him in good directions. And maybe even keep him away from, ssshhhhhh, f***ball.

Comment

"Remember when that man wanted you to play foosball, Bobby?"

Comment

I was a football and track guy, so I ran a lot of both events, and watched a lot of other people run both. It's very hard to infer a 40 yard dash time from a 100 meter time because the two events measure very different kinds of speed. A 40 captures mostly acceleration, whereas the 100 requires much more top-end speed.

For example, I was 400 guy. I ran the lead-off leg on our 4x100 relay in high school and college because I had an obscene start, but I never had the top end speed to be a true 100 runner. My fastest 100 meter times were never below about 11.2. However, I ran consistently in the 4.43 - 4.47 range in the 40. You can see it in the few tapes I have of my 100M races. I'm in front until about 40 meters into the race, no matter who I'm running against. Then I get wasted over the final 60M. I'm confident that the times are accurate, as many of those times (although they are obviously hand) were recorded by a conditioning coach from an excellent athletic department. In a similar vein, I knew a guy who ran as fast as 4.40, who never broke 11.1.

By contrast, I had friends who generated way faster 100 and 200 meter times than me, but could never match me in a 40. Some of them ran into the high 10's or high 21's, but had trouble running a 4.6. Their top speed was higher, but it took them longer to unwind.

Here's a guess: At 16, I also ran 11.5 At the time, my 40 yard dash PR was 4.62. Although at 5'9, 150lbs, I had a rather different build than your sprinter.
                If he has a good start, he may be looking at 4.6ish. If not, it could be more like 4.7 to 4.8. At 6'4, his height may be a liability in something as short as a 40.

Wish I could be more helpful. But it's hard to make a good guess about these things.

I would amend my post to add that I think brute leg-strength is a lot more help in the 40 than in the 100, so that's probably working for him. I think most of the drop in my 40 time from age 16 to age 20 is due to my squat and clean maxes shooting up. It didn't help my 100 or 400 very much t hough.

Comment

Given his build, I am impressed with his time. At his size and age, I would not be surprised if he ran the first 40 better than the entire 100.

Remember that in track, the stopwatch begins with the report of the gun. In a "football 40" (or baseball for that matter) the watch begins when the timer sees the athlete begin. So his 40 time might be better than you think.

Since this was his first race, I would also expect to see him improve rather rapidly, as he is still learning the event. Starting experience, alone, ought to bring his time down a couple of tenths. That would also be reflected in a similar reduction in his 40 time. For a big guy, I think he has true promise.

Eldrick could weigh in with a much more authoritative assessment of his speed, but I am impressed. Wish him luck for me.

Comment

Working...
                  X