Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Will Athletics ever Produce another Alberto Juantorena?

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Will Athletics ever Produce another Alberto Juantorena?

Will Athletics ever produce another Alberto Juantorena (Cuba), double Gold Medalist in the 400/800m at the 1976 Olympic Games?

His 1:43.50 set a new Olympic and World Record, and his :44.26 was the fastest sea-level 400m time ever recorded- and this was in Olympic Finals.

Juantorena still remains the 20th fastest all-time performer over 400 meters, so it would seem to me that someone with the tools of a Jeremy Wariner (USA) or Kerron Clement (USA) would have to be persuaded, like Juantorena was, to run the 800m "just for a warm-up" in order to realize their potential. However, the question is this: with the premium for 400m runners, would a Coach risk the attempt at 800m with his athlete, or would he go "down" in distance to the 200m, a la Michael Johnson (USA)?

Currently, who are the World's best prospects to produce the next Alberto Juantorena? Russian Yuriy Borzakovskiy or perhaps a new Kenyan or Jamaican prodigy?

Thoughts?

Re: Will Athletics ever Produce another Alberto Juantorena?

Originally posted by Coach Rod
    Will Athletics ever produce another Alberto Juantorena (Cuba), double Gold Medalist in the 400/800m at the 1976 Olympic Games?
    Did Cruz ever run 400m? He looked like Juantorena in 84.

Comment

If Borzakovskiy ever does anything of note over 400m, in or out, I'll happily eat my words- of all my posts ever posted on any message board.
      Just sayin'.

Comment

I know of no 400s Cruz ever ran, but in the '84 Oregon-UCLA dual he anchored the Duck 4x4 with a 46.9.

Comment

Cruz:s best 400m is listed as 47,17

http://www.guiadebrasilia.com.br/cidade ... aquim.html

Comment

i'm biased, but i wouda have to say this man probably had the greatest 800 potential in history :

44.18 Samson Kitur KEN 25 02 1966 2sf2 Barcelona 03 08 1992

i only base this one slender piece of logic - those initials KEN

( go ahead & all have a laugh ! :P )

Comment

And he had his 43,75 anchor on that 2.59,82 from Stuttgart.

Comment

Must I belabor the obvious??!! Jeremy Wariner!

[just kidding]

the answer is a resounding YES. All things come and go. When The Horse ran, everyone was saying he was the prototype of the future - big strong fast 400 guy who could bull his way to a great 800 also. The next one will be built more like Wariner (and Kitur) than Alberto. Krachtovilova was the same as Alberto. We will have another in MY life-time? Perhaps not, but that's not a very big window!

Comment

There will never be another Horse but some day his double times will be broken by a new horse or Warnier just horsein around.
                  phsstt!

Comment

Will Athletics ever produce another Alberto Juantorena
                    Already has! His name was Michael Johnson. Problem was he never ran the 800. If only . . .

Comment

Originally posted by bekeselassie
                      Will Athletics ever produce another Alberto Juantorena
                      Already has! His name was Michael Johnson. Problem was he never ran the 800. If only . . .
                      I don't agree with this. Long full stride and giant of a man vs short stubby strides (in the best sense, of course). I certainly don't remember MJ being that tall, anyone know their comparable heights?

This is how i think of Juantorena:

vs. Johnson (not the best picture)

Comment

Fair enough, Daisy. Not agreeing with me is actually to your credit. :wink: But I was just thinking in terms of athletic performance. I will not be dissuaded that Mike would have been an awesome 800 guy. I'm dissappointed that he retired without giving it a season.

Comment

Originally posted by bekeselassie
                          Fair enough, Daisy. Not agreeing with me is actually to your credit. :wink: But I was just thinking in terms of athletic performance. I will not be dissuaded that Mike would have been an awesome 800 guy. I'm dissappointed that he retired without giving it a season.
                          Actually, i'm just questioning the imagery not the athleticism. For me it was not just the fact that he did 400m and 800m but how he did it. I'm not sure if that was what Rod meant but that's how I interpreted the question. Hence, Cruz is pretty close.

Comment

Originally posted by Daisy
                            Actually, i'm just questioning the imagery not the athleticism.
                            Well, in that case, Mike had both better hair and prettier shoes! :P

Comment

not that this has anything to do with the thread but juantorena's son is a promising young decathlete, apparently...

Comment

Working...
                              X