Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What was the worst event at the Worlds?

Men's 200 gets my vote. The times were awful, and I can think of about half a dozen people who should have won it but weren't competing.
    Było smaszno, a jaszmije smukwijne...

Re: What was the worst event at the Worlds?

Hell they were all good to me.

Comment

Track was wet; therefore it slowed the times. In terms of sheer get-back, you couldn't ask for anything more than Capel atoning for his dismal performance in Sydney.

Comment

>Men's 200 gets my vote. The times were awful, and
        >I can think of about half a dozen people who
        >should have won it but weren't competing.>>

Statistically speaking, the two that will look the worst are indeed the m200 and LJ, each having worst winning mark in many a year. But it's also (very) instructive to note that both are speed/explosive events and both were held on the night of 8/29, which was wet and cold. At start of LJ it was (temperature 18/64; humidity 77%) and at startof 200 it was (temperature 17/63; humidity 82%). That's surely no coincidence.

Comment

The most BORING event was M Javelin. The 3 medal throws came in direct succession in the first round, nobody could throw far because of the windless enclosed stadium. Both the M200 and the MLJ were incredibly exciting competitions. The 200 prelim times were excellent, and I'm convinced that there would have been a sub-20 final without all the puddles.

Comment

In fact, as a group, the throwing events (M/W) were the worst of the meet. Very few dramatic goings on in the late rounds. I usually enjoy the throws, but they didn't produce much excitement in Paris.

From comments on the other thread (best of the Worlds), I gather that some of you find a direct correlation between the times/distances and the quality of the competition. You think that a race that is not very fast (like the men's 200) is not very good. I feel sorry for you.

Comment

">Men's 200 gets my vote. The times were awful, and
              >I can think of about half a dozen people who
              >should have won it but weren't competing.>>

Statistically speaking, the two that will look the worst are indeed the m200 and LJ, each having worst winning mark in many a year. But it's also (very) instructive to note that both are speed/explosive events and both were held on the night of 8/29, which was wet and cold. At start of LJ it was (temperature 18/64; humidity 77%) and at startof 200 it was (temperature 17/63; humidity 82%). That's surely no coincidence."

The long jumps would have been sub-par anyway. As I've said on other threads, nobody has done much of anything (distance-wise) since Powell, Myricks and Lewis were around. All you need these days is about a 27-8 to win an elite meet.

Comment

I have said it before, the Men's 200m did not look slow. When I saw the winning time I was shocked. Times alone do not make an event. I thought it was very exciting. Throws were very disappointing. The men's shot putt was mildly interesting, Godina being unlucky to not make the last 8
                why don't people pronounce vowels anymore

Comment

Holy mackerel - you have the best in each discipline trying desparately to win. So what if the marks are off; that's not the point. I followed the Javelin, throw for throw on the IAAF's live results page (awesome - thank you IAAF) and yes the fireworks were over early, but I was still mesmerized by whether Zelezny was going to pop a big one. It helped that the 'Five Live' crew were webcasting simultaneously and and describing the arc of the throw. I have been to zero WC's and this was the best ever because I had some sense of liveness. Only LA '84 and Atlanta '96 surpass this because I was there.

Comment

The 200 may have been poor in terms of marks, but it was certainly exciting to watch through the rounds. Almost anyone could've won. Let's not confuse poor marks with unexciting competition.

Yeah, the men's javelin was a real stinker.

Comment

"I have said it before, the Men's 200m did not look slow. When I saw the winning time I was shocked. Times alone do not make an event. I thought it was very exciting. Throws were very disappointing. The men's shot putt was mildly interesting, Godina being unlucky to not make the last 8"

Good point, and indicative of the fact that the 200 and the long jump are quite different.

In races, the time is not important, because what you have is a bunch of guys out there at the same time trying to reach a finish line first. That is exciting, no matter how fast they run.

The jumps are different; the situation in the jumps is that you have athletes taking turns. In this type of situation, the distance is more important.

Tafnut made a good point about the jav; waiting to see if Zelezny would uncork a big one was exciting.

The long jump is different though; given the fact that nobody can seem to jump 28 feet anymore, I just didn't get the feeling that anyone even had a chance of popping a big one.

Comment

In defense of the javelin guys, it must be noted that they competed under the toughest conditions in the meet. Warmups and first few rounds interrupted nonstop by marathon finishers (throwers didn't just start on the track; they started in a vomitory outside of lane 8). Add to that the 800 final, 4x1 final (and their victory laps) and 5-6 victory-ceremony stoppages and it's a wonder that the poor stiffs were able to concentrate at all.

That the women's high jumpers were able to compete so well under almost-identical conditions (some runups were possible during the marathon finish), Cloete even trying for a WR, makes that one of the very best performances of the meet.

Comment

Garry, thanks for teaching me a new word; I looked up "vomitory" in the dictionary !

Comment

Is it the place in the stadium fans go to express their views on US javelin-ists?

(or is it javelin-ers?)

Comment

I was the first guy to trash the men's javelin, but there was actually a fascinating human interest story that may not have gotten much coverage in the US. Bronze medalist Boris Henry is Kelli White's boyfriend, and her doping story broke just before he had to compete. He still medalled!

Comment

Working...
                              X