Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: What was the worst event at the Worlds?

>Bronze medalist Boris Henry is Kelli White's boyfriend, and her doping story broke just before he had to compete. He still medalled!<

Hey, look at what Marion Jones did in Sydney, notwithstanding all the shit that was happening with her husband at the time. Now THAT's overcoming major distraction. I give Henry credit, but what he did was nothing by comparison.

Comment

If I was just looking for a close race, I could just as well find it at an elementary-school meet. If I do follow elite T&F, it is because I do look for quality performances, something that the men's 200 final lacked. As I already said, there were half a dozen people who could have beaten Capel in that race, but did not make it to Paris for various reasons... It sucks when you have a world championship race and the best in the world don't show up. OK, I acknowledge the fact the conditions were not optimal (in fact, I was in the stadium myself, so I do know what they were), but they were not so much worse compared to the earlier rounds to justify the athletes running as slow as they did (after all the 20.0s and 20.1 in the quarter- and semifinals).

And yes, I do agree men's jav was bad as well.
      Było smaszno, a jaszmije smukwijne...

Comment

Since there were not American's in the 1500 meter finals the whole thing was a flop.

Comment

>Since there were not American's in the 1500 meter
          finals the whole thing was a flop.<

Since you never learned that the plural of "American" does not include an apostrophe, your whole education (whatever it may have been) was a flop.

Comment

Shut up fool.

Comment

>> It sucks when you
              >have a world championship race and the best in
              >the world don't show up. OK, I acknowledge the
              >fact the conditions were not optimal (in fact, I
              >was in the stadium myself, so I do know what they
              >were), but they were not so much worse compared
              >to the earlier rounds to justify the athletes
              >running as slow as they did (after all the 20.0s
              >and 20.1 in the quarter- and semifinals).>>

In checking out my eTN, I find that the temperature for the m200 final was 17C/63F (humidity 82%). In the semis it was 24/75 (61%) and in the quarters it was 25/77 (41%). Those are monstrous differences to a sprinter (to say nothing of a normal human being not worried about tight muscles). I pity you for apparently being unable to appreciate what you saw.

Comment

You are an idiot Annoying Bastard. You just proved it.

Comment

<You are an idiot Annoying Bastard. You just proved it.>

Grow up guys.

Comment

>Hell they were all good to me.

I agree, but I thought the W 5K was pretty boring, primarily because nobody showed any initiative. I was particularly surprised that Yinglie Sun allowed the pace to crawl, but she was probably just too tired from the 10K and the heat of the 5K. Actually, the heats were more interesting than the final, to me. The other thing was the poor performances of some of the favorites: Adere, Szabo, O'Sullivan. After 3K went by in 9:09, I kept expecting someone to either surge or make a long run for home, but lap after lap went by without anyone seriously attempting to win the race. The penultimate lap was just 68, so it turned into a 400m. With 300 to go I thought it was Adere's race, but she faded. Even then, the last lap was not tremendously fast, just 62.

The last 200 was exciting, but I had anticipated a great final, with Sun forcing the pace to run the kick out of Adere, Szabo and O'Sullivan.

Cheers,
                    Alan Shank

Comment

You guys are too hung up on final times. It was an intriguing race, to say the least! Who can't be thrilled when kilo 3 is faster than 2, 4 is faster than 3 and 5 is faster than 4? Funny things happen when the tempo keeps picking up and it was absolutely amazing to watch first Sullivan, then Szabo, then Adere slide out the back door.

We have Dibaba's last lap in 60.1 by the way. That's faster than what Yegorova ran in Edmonton last time in a race which I think everybody recalls as having a dynamite-kick last lap.

Comment

>Men's 200 gets my vote. The times were awful, and
                        >I can think of about half a dozen people who
                        >should have won it but weren't competing.

the times were crap, although it had recently rained so that slowed them down.

runner up: men's 100. Exciting to see all the men lunge for the line, not knowing who had won but it was the slowest 100 in a WC/Olympics final since 1983 or so. not very impressive.

Comment

I'll just repeat what I said above. The men's 200 was a terrific race as was the 100. Fast is ok, but competitive and interesting have nothing to do with the time. For true track fans, those were two great events in Paris.

Comment

At the real big-time meets, or on TV, there is a tendency to look at the finish-line clock right away, and that may temper one's opinion about a race, but think about 99% of the meets you go to. You may not know the results for 5 minutes up to an hour afterwards (if it's a HS meet with no announcer). Do you sit on your hands and say, "I'm not cheering until I see the time?" I think not.

And even if you do have access to a clock, do you hold your applause until they cross the line? Of course not. You're standing up and roaring all the way up the homestretch. Watching the athletes get there is more fun than knowing how long it took them. You know this in your heart, don't you?

Comment

>You guys are too hung up on final times. It was
                              >an intriguing race, to say the least! Who can't
                              >be thrilled when kilo 3 is faster than 2, 4 is
                              >faster than 3 and 5 is faster than 4? Funny
                              >things happen when the tempo keeps picking up and
                              >it was absolutely amazing to watch first
                              >Sullivan, then Szabo, then Adere slide out the
                              >back door.

Gary, I am not "hung up on final times." Also, the tempo didn't pick up that much, and not dramatically at all. Come on, 3:04.3, 3:05.6, 2;59.0, 2:57.5 is not exactly "putting down the hammer." The only thing I found "intriguing" was that those runners let go despite the fact that the pace was not tough and there were no surges.

>We have Dibaba's last lap in 60.1
                              >by the way. That's faster than what Yegorova ran
                              >in Edmonton last time in a race which I think
                              >everybody recalls as having a dynamite-kick last
                              >lap.

My 62 was leader to finish, not on a specific runner. IIRC, Yegorova just ran away from everyone on the last lap, and I thought that race was relatively boring, too. It's not that this was a terrible race, but I'm talking about compared to the other distance races.

Cheers,
                              Alan Shank

Comment

>>You guys are too hung up on final times. It
                                >was
                                >an intriguing race, to say the least! Who
                                >can't
                                >be thrilled when kilo 3 is faster than 2,
                                >4 is
                                >faster than 3 and 5 is faster than 4?
                                >Funny
                                >things happen when the tempo keeps
                                >picking up and
                                >it was absolutely amazing to
                                >watch first
                                >Sullivan, then Szabo, then Adere
                                >slide out the
                                >back door.

Gary, I am not
                                >"hung up on final times." Also, the tempo
                                >didn't pick up that much, and not dramatically at
                                >all. Come on, 3:04.3, 3:05.6, 2;59.0, 2:57.5 is
                                >not exactly "putting down the hammer." The only
                                >thing I found "intriguing" was that those
                                >runners let go despite the fact that the pace was
                                >not tough and there were no surges.

Good point. Plus O'Sullivan wasn't in great shape this year to begin with, and I believe Adere and Szabo were in it until the last lap, when they just couldn't put in as much of a sprint finish as the others did. The race was actually very boring for the first 4600 meters - it's not just that it wasn't very fast, but none of the women was trying to do anything there.

As for the sprint finals, i will repeat my point again: if you're only looking for close finishes, you are as likely to find them at your local elementary school meet - they do not, in and of themselves, make a race great. The men's 100 and 200 finals certainly had excitement (as in 'not sure who will win until the last meters'), but they were the sort of races nobody will remember in a few years. To me, a great final is one in which athletes really rise to the occasion, while in these two nearly everyone folded (after running well in earlier rounds) - Darren Campbell was probably the only exception to that in both of them.

And to make one thing clear - to me, the 'worst' in the title of this thread refers more to quality than to the level of excitement generated.
                                Było smaszno, a jaszmije smukwijne...

Comment

Working...
                                X