Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: What was the worst event at the Worlds?

>>>will repeat my point again: if you're only
    looking for close finishes, you are as likely to
    find them at your local elementary school meet -
    they do not, in and of themselves, make a race
    great.<<

This is true. But the fact that these races were World Championships races made them very exciting. The outcome did matter, and in almost every race on the track, the outcome was in doubt at a very late stage of hte race.

I think you really have to be at a WC or OG to understand just how exciting those events are, even when they're not so great on paper. In fact, it kind of calls to mind an old joke, which I can repeat here only in a very bowdlerized version:

Describe the worst event at the World Championships.

FAN-TASTIC!

Comment

For the record: I was in the stadium in Paris, and I was excited by the sprint finals - of course, the 100 final is one of the most anticipated moments of any major championship, so you get excited by it by definition. This, however, does not mean I'm not able to look at the actual quality of these races and say they were very poor by WCh-final standards.
      Było smaszno, a jaszmije smukwijne...

Comment

The 100 mens. The track was supposed to be fast and it was the slowest winner since the first outdoor WC. Over hyped also.

Comment

Who said it was supposed to be fast? Here's a post I made the day before the meet started (see "Paris Track"):

<<OK, it has been 7+ years since I walked on the Atlanta track, so my memories are probably a bit fuzzy, but i took a cruise around the Paris oval yesterday and I would say it's substantially softer than the Atlanta one, for whatever that's worth. (In theory,at least, it would mean sprint times might be a bit slowish, but also means that distance runners--especially doublers like Bekele--won't be chewing their feet up like Geb did in '96.

Note: It's also not the same stadium where Monty ran the 100 WR last year.>>

You're probably thinking it's whre the WR was set.

Comment

The other races, ie womens were fast 100 & 400. So why was the mens 100 and 200 so slow?

Also, Atlanta's track was the hardest allowed by IAAF standards.

Comment

men's 100: 70 degrees, 53% humidity
              women's 100: 79 degrees, 39% humidity

men's 200: 63 degrees, 82% humidity
              women's 200: 75 degrees, 61% humidity

Comment

>men's 100: 70 degrees, 53% humidity

That doesn't sound too bad... In fact these conditions were very similar to the women's 400 final (72 degrees, 53% humidity), where Guevara ran 48.89 and the other women were fast as well.

Comment

I would posit that the explosive needs of the 100 (and 200) compared to the 400 are far more constricted by cooler/damper weather.

Comment

You're probably right, but 70 degrees is hardly below freezing point... You may remember Frankie Fredericks running 9.87 in Helsinki with temperature in mid-50s (that was in 1996) - now that's what I call sprinting !

Comment

Working...
                    X