Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• National Championships This Weekend?

Has anyone seen a comprehensive (or even something reasonably approaching that) list of the National Championships happening this weekend? Besides the obvious issue of the various countries sorting out their teams, it can easily impact the final "Road to Oregon" lists because of the impact of the additional points that National Championships provide.

Originally posted by donley2 View Post
    Has anyone seen a comprehensive (or even something reasonably approaching that) list of the National Championships happening this weekend? Besides the obvious issue of the various countries sorting out their teams, it can easily impact the final "Road to Oregon" lists because of the impact of the additional points that National Championships provide.
    We know from the WA 'Calendar/Results' page that it's at least

Brazil
    Canada
    Croatia
    France
    Germany
    Greece
    Italy
    Jamaica
    Kenya
    Netherlands
    Poland
    Spain
    Switzerland
    UK

but it's surely dozens of others too.

Comment

Originally posted by Atticus View Post

We know from the WA 'Calendar/Results' page that it's at least

Brazil
      Canada
      Croatia
      France
      Germany
      Greece
      Italy
      Jamaica
      Kenya
      Netherlands
      Poland
      Spain
      Switzerland
      UK

but it's surely dozens of others too.
      Hungary, Czech Republic & Slovenia too (and, like you say, probably many others). However, Poland have already had theirs (it's their U20 champs this weekend).

Did you know? ... If a country holds its national championships after the World Championships (e.g., Finland & Sweden) they have a right instead to hold a "Ranking competition" that awards the same level of world ranking points as the national championships (i.e, Category B ranking points). Finland have their "Ranking competition" this weekend in Oulu.

Comment

Wonder if Russia will also be holding one?

also, I heard Bahamas will have theirs this weekend. You think some of the smaller Caribbean countries would have a joint event to fill out fields and make it more competitive.

Comment

Originally posted by LuckySpikes View Post

Did you know? ... If a country holds its national championships after the World Championships (e.g., Finland & Sweden) they have a right instead to hold a "Ranking competition" that awards the same level of world ranking points as the national championships (i.e, Category B ranking points). Finland have their "Ranking competition" this weekend in Oulu.
          does the bonus disappear for the real Nationals or do they get to double-dip??

Comment

Originally posted by gh View Post

does the bonus disappear for the real Nationals or do they get to double-dip??
            Neither ... ... From para 1.3b at https://www.worldathletics.org/world...g-rules/basics ...

"During a calendar year, only one National Senior Championships per each Member Federation can award Placing Scores according to the Categorisation as shown below [i.e., Category B points]. In case a Member Federation organizes more than one National Championships, or an equivalent type of competition (e.g. trials), in any discipline within one calendar year, the first such competition is regarded as the National Championships unless the MF informs World Athletics otherwise, prior to the beginning of the season."

So, the Finnish Federation want this weekend's competition to count for Placing Scores (in order that their athletes' World Rankings benefit in time for Eugene). Then, at their National Championships in early August athletes can still use their Performance Scores on their ranking (if they have a lower points result to replace). However, they won't receive any points at all for their placing at those championships.
            Last edited by LuckySpikes; 06-22-2022, 05:20 PM.

Comment

Neither ... ... From para 1.3b at https://www.worldathletics.org/world...g-rules/basics ...

"During a calendar year, only one National Senior Championships per each Member Federation can award Placing Scores according to the Categorisation as shown below [i.e., Category B points]. In case a Member Federation organizes more than one National Championships, or an equivalent type of competition (e.g. trials), in any discipline within one calendar year, the first such competition is regarded as the National Championships unless the MF informs World Athletics otherwise, prior to the beginning of the season."

So, the Finnish Federation want this weekend's competition to count for Placing Scores (in order that their athletes' World Rankings benefit in time for Eugene). Then, at their National Championships in early August athletes can still use their Performance Scores on their ranking (if they have a lower points result to replace). However, they won't receive any points at all for their placing at those championships.
              So on the "Road to Oregon" Sanne Erkkola (wJT) is listed with Finish Champs placing points from the 2021 championships if you highlight her. Is that going to go away, or does that actually depend on whether she competes in Oulu? This seems a bit messy.

Comment

So on the "Road to Oregon" Sanne Erkkola (wJT) is listed with Finish Champs placing points from the 2021 championships if you highlight her. Is that going to go away, or does that actually depend on whether she competes in Oulu? This seems a bit messy.
                There are no points that will go away. "Finnish Ch" is actually Ranking competition (becoming weekend in Oulu), and the real Finnish Ch. is called "Kalevan Kisat" usually competed in August.

Comment

Originally posted by gh View Post

does the bonus disappear for the real Nationals?
                  Yes it does.

Comment

Because Para 1.3b I quoted refers to "calendar year" she will keep her 2021 National Championships result. Since Rankings in some events are based on results from the last 18 months I think there's probably a number of athletes (especially in less successful athletics nations?) who have results from 2 national championships on their ranking. ... Aha, I found one by "random" clicking ... Mayu Kobayashi, ranked 132 in the W 400m, has this year's and last year's Japanese Championships results counting on her ranking ... https://www.worldathletics.org/world...mitByCountry=0
                    Last edited by LuckySpikes; 06-23-2022, 12:26 AM.

Comment

Because Para 1.3b I quoted refers to "calendar year" she will keep her 2021 National Championships result. Since Rankings in some events are based on results from the last 18 months I think there's probably a number of athletes (especially in less successful athletics nations?) who have results from 2 national championships on their ranking. ... Aha, I found one by "random" clicking ... Mayu Kobayashi, ranked 132 in the W 400m, has this year's and last year's Japanese Championships results counting on her ranking ... https://www.worldathletics.org/world...mitByCountry=0
                      But I am specifically asking about qualification for Eugene World Champs, not the "normal" world ranking. Those are not the same things.

Comment

But I am specifically asking about qualification for Eugene World Champs, not the "normal" world ranking. Those are not the same things.
                        What's the difference? Multievent wind rules?

Comment

Originally posted by jupo View Post
                          What's the difference? Multievent wind rules?
                          The qualifying for Eugene only goes back 12 months not 18.

Comment

The qualifying for Eugene only goes back 12 months not 18.
                            It goes back 18 months with same events as the "normal" world ranking.

Comment

Originally posted by jupo View Post
                              It goes back 18 months with same events as the "normal" world ranking.
                              Ok. My mistake. My overall point is any event that only has a 12 month qualifying period, should only allow placing points for one national championship.

Comment

Working...
                              X