Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

¶'22 wUSATF 400H—Sydney McLaughlin 51.41 WR

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Originally posted by JMysterio View Post

    I'd check the Q standards for that answer. I think you can only get a qualifying time in the specific event if it is en route. Such as running a mile and passing the 1500 mark in below the standard. But even that may not be true, if it were someone could run the first 200 of a 400 in 20 flat and I've never heard of someone qualifying that way.
    En route times tend not to be recognised as being full automatic timing. This isn't an issue for 1500 times during a mile as hand times tend to be accepted as qualifying times for 1500 but they tend not to be for 200m.

    Comment


    • Originally posted by Trickstat View Post

      En route times tend not to be recognised as being full automatic timing. This isn't an issue for 1500 times during a mile as hand times tend to be accepted as qualifying times for 1500 but they tend not to be for 200m.
      Right. And using a 400h time for a flat 400 isn't done either.
      I'm the best poster. Just ask me.

      Comment


      • Originally posted by JMysterio View Post

        Right. And using a 400h time for a flat 400 isn't done either.
        Personally I don't see why it shouldn't be allowed.

        I remember that Gowry Retchakan who was the UK's number 2 400 hurdler behind Sally Gunnell for a few years in the '90s had a flat 400 best that was slower than her 400h one.

        Comment


        • Originally posted by Trickstat View Post

          Personally I don't see why it shouldn't be allowed.

          I remember that Gowry Retchakan who was the UK's number 2 400 hurdler behind Sally Gunnell for a few years in the '90s had a flat 400 best that was slower than her 400h one.
          It's a completely moot discussion in any case. The women's 400 and 400h semis are 30 minutes apart.
          I'm the best poster. Just ask me.

          Comment


          • Originally posted by JMysterio View Post
            It's a completely moot discussion in any case. The women's 400 and 400h semis are 30 minutes apart.
            Well, the question is one in general, not in terms of 2021(2022) WCs.

            Comment


            • Originally posted by JMysterio View Post
              It's a completely moot discussion in any case. The women's 400 and 400h semis are 30 minutes apart.
              But what of next year or the year after?

              Comment


              • Originally posted by CookyMonzta View Post

                But what of next year or the year after?
                I'd assume that would give someone like Syd a change to jog a 400 to meet the standard.

                Comment


                • Originally posted by CookyMonzta View Post

                  But what of next year or the year after?
                  I would have thought in McLaughlin's case it would still be a moot point. If she wins the Eugene Worlds in the 400H she will get a wild card for the event at next year's Worlds. She runs the flat 400 at the US Trials with a view to attempt to make the team in that event as this time the timetable makes it a feasible double. Barring utterly horrendous weather conditions, I think it highly unlikely that she would finish in the first 3 at the Trials whilst running slower than the qualifying time.

                  Comment


                  • A non-tracknut friend recently emailed me asking about Sydney McGlaughlin, and at what age athletes in her event reach their peak. I said around age 25, but she may be an outlier, since she was world class at age 16. Also mentioned that she might become bored with the 400h due to lack of competition, long before age 25. Suggested she might look to 100h and open 400 for more competition, at some point.

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by Bruce Kritzler View Post
                      A non-tracknut friend recently emailed me asking about Sydney McGlaughlin, Suggested she might look to 100h and open 400 for more competition, at some point.
                      No G.

                      She could be a factor at
                      200
                      400
                      800 !
                      100H
                      LJ
                      TJ !

                      She could probably make the Paris team in the Hep, if she started training this Fall !

                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by CookyMonzta View Post

                        But what of next year or the year after?
                        Pure conjecture here, but McLaughlin's 400h time of 51.41 was just .06 off of the qualifying standard in the open 400. Had she run 51.35 hurdles earlier in the year, could she have qualified for the 400 with her hurdles mark?

                        Comment


                        • Originally posted by 26mi235 View Post

                          Well, the question is one in general, not in terms of 2021(2022) WCs.
                          No, the question is if the hurdle time can be used as a qualifier for the flat 400 no matter what year it is.
                          I'm the best poster. Just ask me.

                          Comment

                          Working...
                          X