Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

¶'22 wUSATF 200—Abby Steiner 21.77 (WL)

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Originally posted by 18.99s View Post

    And if she'd signed with anybody, the sponsor would have told her to post that fact (but not the $ amount) on her social media, which she has not done.
    Yes, contracts have NDA.
    If the rumour is true, $2 million should be a multi year deal. No way she's earning $2 million a year.

    Comment


    • Why is $2 million / yr unthinkable?

      Before McLaughlin singed with NB, the industry estiamate was around $1.5-2 million / yr.

      https://www.letsrun.com/news/2018/09...ggest-secrets/

      Andre De Grasse reportedly signed a multi-year $11+ million deal with Puma in 2015.

      https://www.cbc.ca/sports/olympics/s...-pro-1.3350515

      Comment


      • https://twitter.com/d9monti/status/1...WuuBktwiw&s=19

        Comment


        • Originally posted by TN1965 View Post
          Why is $2 million / yr unthinkable?

          Before McLaughlin singed with NB, the industry estiamate was around $1.5-2 million / yr.

          https://www.letsrun.com/news/2018/09...ggest-secrets/

          Andre De Grasse reportedly signed a multi-year $11+ million deal with Puma in 2015.

          https://www.cbc.ca/sports/olympics/s...-pro-1.3350515
          Agents have an incentive to inflate the numbers. I don't trust them.

          Comment


          • From Abby Steiner:

            I have been subjected to a few different social media narratives this year. Just because I don't speak on it doesn't mean I don't see it. I work very hard on my mental health with the sport of track and field and I'm proud of the progress I've made. However, people trying to leak my deal and contract have been some of the most invasive and bothersome narratives I have seen. This information is between my sponsor and me. Any source outside of that is simply speculation.

            As a reporter, it is your job to fact check. As a consumer of news on social media, it is also your responsibility to fact check. It is common knowledge that contracts are not public. My income is not on public record, nor should it be reported as such. Any reporter should know this, and reporting otherwise is extremely harmful in a time period of life that is already stressful.

            Please keep in mind that athletes are human. We are worth more than being used in attempts to gain social media likes. A simple DM to me could have prevented false narratives in our track community. As reporters, former athletes, and coaches who should understand the pressures athletes face, I urge you to be mindful of this for the next athlete.
            https://twitter.com/abbysteiner1/sta...34260437483520

            Comment


            • Originally posted by Davidokun View Post
              From Abby Steiner:

              "This information is between my sponsor and me. Any source outside of that is simply speculation."
              This reminds me of one of my favorite quotes:

              "Man's most valuable trait is a judicious sense of what not to believe." - Euripides
              '
              The bottom line is that the people who know aren't talking and the people who are talking don't know. However, one thing that's notable is that Puma hasn't posted anything about Steiner. For all we know she may not have even talked to Puma. Also note that none of the sources for this stuff would fit my definition of a journalist, they're just internet clowns.

              Comment


              • Originally posted by chukuyute View Post

                Very bad analogy. Bolt won both Olympics and worlds almost always every time. ET has only proven herself on the Olympic stage. She cannot beat a fit and in form SJ at Eugene. 21.55 with 0 wind is crazy stuff without being in championship form. When Franno tapers her for the next 2 weeks, only God knows what she will run at Eugene. SJ might be in MJ 19.32, WVN 43.03, Bolt 9.58, etc rarified air come worlds.
                I'm with you on this! If SJ has already ran 21.55 - nearly as fast as ETH last year in Tokyo - she is going to drop a scary scary time in Eugene in a couple of weeks. The world record watch is officially on for me.

                Comment


                • It's far from the first time the media fabricated facts to make a story out of nothing.

                  I recall back in 2007 when Mary Wineberg relegated Sanya Richards to 4th at the USATF championships almost immediately chatter began how a "deal" had been struck for Wineberg to step aside, allowing Richards - who would have been a medal favorite - to take her spot. It didnt take long for a supposed expert "in the know" - Steve Cram - to say it was definite. Finally, Mary had me post a letter on these very boards very similar to what Steiner posted on twitter today. Basically - you fools don't know s**t. And that was that(and the very reason I've stayed the hell out of this one).
                  There are no strings on me

                  Comment


                  • Originally posted by jazzcyclist View Post
                    The bottom line is that the people who know aren't talking and the people who are talking don't know. However, one thing that's notable is that Puma hasn't posted anything about Steiner. For all we know she may not have even talked to Puma.
                    Agreed. One thing that is odd is that while neither Steiner nor Puma has announced anything, Steiner implies that she has signed with someone by stating that "This information is between my sponsor and me." But maybe she has not signed a contract yet.

                    One would think that any sponsor would want to announce something if there is a deal. And, on the other hand, if there is no deal yet, that might explain why the speculation would significantly add to the stress level for an athlete being pursued by multiple parties while trying to stay focused preparing for the biggest meet of her life.

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by wamego relays champ View Post
                      Agreed. One thing that is odd is that while neither Steiner nor Puma has announced anything, Steiner implies that she has signed with someone by stating that "This information is between my sponsor and me." But maybe she has not signed a contract yet.
                      I'm guessing she's in negotiations with a particular sponsor (who isn't necessarily Puma), and doesn't want outside public speculation and rumors to disturb those negotiations.

                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by 18.99s View Post

                        I'm guessing she's in negotiations with a particular sponsor (who isn't necessarily Puma), and doesn't want outside public speculation and rumors to disturb those negotiations.
                        Bingo!

                        Comment


                        • It will be interesting to see how this affects her focus and preparation for Eugene. This is the last thing you want while trying to finalise your prep!

                          Comment


                          • Originally posted by Wiederganger View Post
                            It will be interesting to see how this affects her focus and preparation for Eugene. This is the last thing you want while trying to finalise your prep!
                            Surprised Steiner's getting distracted on this issue now. Surely better to get a medal first and then negotiate afterwards.

                            Comment


                            • Hurrah for some sense!!

                              Comment


                              • Originally posted by jazzcyclist View Post

                                This reminds me of one of my favorite quotes:

                                "Man's most valuable trait is a judicious sense of what not to believe." - Euripides
                                '
                                The bottom line is that the people who know aren't talking and the people who are talking don't know. However, one thing that's notable is that Puma hasn't posted anything about Steiner. For all we know she may not have even talked to Puma. Also note that none of the sources for this stuff would fit my definition of a journalist, they're just internet clowns.
                                Well said

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X