X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Atticus
    replied
    Originally posted by ATK View Post
    But Dina Asher Smith is the Champion until someone beats her.
    I'm giving ETH the benefit of reigning Olympic Champion.

Leave a comment:

• ATK
    replied
    Originally posted by 26mi235 View Post
    Steiner will have a slight advantage on those that are doubling, as the 200 follows the 100 (and the 400, I think).
    Maybe, maybe not. After 6 consecutive rounds of the 100 and 200m over 4 days, Jackson still ran 21.55. She'll now have days of rest between rounds and events.
    Last edited by ATK; 06-30-2022, 01:56 AM.

Leave a comment:

• ATK
    replied
    Originally posted by Atticus View Post
    To be precise, Thompson-Herah is the 'champion' until someone beats. 'Favorite' indicates someone who is most likely to win, and right now that is not ETH.
    She may well win, but she is not the current favorite - that is Jackson.
    But Dina Asher Smith is the Champion until someone beats her.

Leave a comment:

• Atticus
    replied
    Originally posted by JumboElliott View Post
    Thompson-Herah is the favorite until someone beats her.
    To be precise, Thompson-Herah is the 'champion' until someone beats. 'Favorite' indicates someone who is most likely to win, and right now that is not ETH.
    She may well win, but she is not the current favorite - that is Jackson.

Leave a comment:

• JumboElliott
    replied
    Thompson-Herah is the favorite until someone beats her. It's kind of like when Bolt would lose to Gatlin in a one-off and people (myself included) wondered "is this finally the year?" and then Bolt would show up and romp.

Leave a comment:

• Atticus
    replied
    Originally posted by 26mi235 View Post
    Steiner will have a slight advantage on those that are doubling, as the 200 follows the 100 (and the 400, I think).
    Steiner could go 21.70, but if SJackson throws down another 21.5, she wins.
    Jackson - Mboma would have been THE showdown.

Leave a comment:

• 26mi235
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Atticus
    replied
    Originally posted by adirondack View Post
    Jackson, ETH, and Steiner for the podium?
    Is SAFP out of the question? Her PR is 21.79, just last year, and everyone says she's in the best shape of her life.

Leave a comment:

• adirondack
    replied
    Jackson, ETH, and Steiner for the podium?

Leave a comment:

• guru
    replied
    Meanwhile, back to the subject at hand smdh...

Mboma out for WC

https://olympics.nbcsports.com/2022/...-field-injury/

Leave a comment:

• scottmitchell74
    replied
    What on earth is a 'wokester' to you? To me (and the dictionary) it is someone who acknowledges the systemic biases (race, sex, homosexuality, transexuality) inherent in our society and works to overcome them. Aren't YOU one of those?
    I know what you - Atticus - mean when you reference the word or think of yourself as woke. But that version is long-gone. Much like "queer" has morphed or "boss" has gone through iterations, so has "woke." I don't think you want to be 2022 woke. It's gone off the rails. Heck, I'm very Conservative these days but would have been considered "woke" 20+ years ago.

Leave a comment:

• jazzcyclist
    replied
    Originally posted by Wiederganger View Post
    Ah, yes,Urban Dictionary, that crowdsourced online tool for slang words, that has multiple definitions for the same word or phrase, that kids can vote up a definition to get it included and to the top of the lists.

Great source, that. 🙄
    Where do you go to find the definition of slang words? Also, what word do you suggest I use to describe young know-it-all leftists who are totally lacking in common sense? As I said earlier, these people do exist. Hell, my very smart 20-year-old niece is a wokester and her parents would agree with me. And looking back 40 years ago, I was a wokester when I was her age thought the word hadn't been invented yet.

Leave a comment:

• Trickstat
    replied
    Originally posted by Wiederganger View Post
    Ah, yes,Urban Dictionary, that crowdsourced online tool for slang words, that has multiple definitions for the same word or phrase, that kids can vote up a definition to get it included and to the top of the lists.

Great source, that. 🙄
    I think Urban Dictionary can be useful to get some idea of the meaning of a word or phrase or initialism that you are totally unfamiliar with. However, I doubt it can be trusted to provide the most reliably precise definition for something that you have some idea of the meaning of.

Leave a comment:

• Wiederganger
    replied

Great source, that. 🙄

Leave a comment:

• jazzcyclist
    replied
    What on earth is a 'wokester' to you? To me (and the dictionary) it is someone who acknowledges the systemic biases (race, sex, homosexuality, transexuality) inherent in our society and works to overcome them. Aren't YOU one of those?
    From the Urban Dictionary:

An easily offended 20-something idiot who believes the word 'woke' legitimizes their self-centered view of the world. These individuals often lack skills in civil discourse, or an educated background in any subject they rant in.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X