Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

¶'22 wUSATF 200—Abby Steiner 21.77 (WL)

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • I think she actually finished third both times. Even Bolt lost to Blake in 100 and 200 in 2012 and then won both titles.

    Its tough to say as there isn't much time for ETH to knock chunks off as in previous years.

    Comment


    • Christine Mboma is officially out of Worlds. Shericka and Abby look like the top contenders for 1st and 2nd place. Maybe ETH can claim the bronze.

      Comment


      • Good to see a solid crowd.

        Comment


        • https://www.instagram.com/p/CfmCcBlrLOt/

          2 million dollar deal for Steiner with Puma apparently. According to some this is "the biggest contract signed by a female in track and field out of college". Who knows if the numbers are true.

          Some coaches are pretty critical of athletes signing these massive deals but having done "nothing" yet. Example Mike Holloway has spoken openly about it, even speaking about how Knighton (who he co-coaches) has done nothing and still needs to prove himself.
          Last edited by ATK; 07-04-2022, 04:04 PM.

          Comment


          • Originally posted by Track78 View Post
            I think she actually finished third both times. Even Bolt lost to Blake in 100 and 200 in 2012 and then won both titles.

            Its tough to say as there isn't much time for ETH to knock chunks off as in previous years.
            I think she gets down to 10.6 whether its enough to beat SAFP is another story. Not sure she has the time to get down to 21.6 over 200m.
            Apparently Ignorance is bliss

            Comment


            • Originally posted by ATK View Post
              https://www.instagram.com/p/CfmCcBlrLOt/

              2 million dollar deal for Steiner with Puma apparently.
              Well, happy to see elite track and field performers getting some real money. While I wish it was more spread out among other runners, I’ll leave that topic for another thread.

              I’ll be curious to see how this effects her running. She is no longer climbing that ladder to the top. She is at the top with the most money and the immense pressure that goes along with it. Sydney M has done an amazing job with that pressure and I hope Abby can follow her lead to future success.

              Comment


              • That’s probably a multi-year deal, probably not far off from what Athing signed with Nike for last year.

                I’ll believe it when it’s officially announced though

                Comment


                • Originally posted by 58Commander View Post
                  I’ll be curious to see how this effects her running. She is no longer climbing that ladder to the top. She is at the top with the most money and the immense pressure that goes along with it. Sydney M has done an amazing job with that pressure and I hope Abby can follow her lead to future success.
                  It will be interesting to see what happens from here on out in Steiner's career. She is of course one of the fastest in the world, but considering the nature of her events (both 100 and 200), I think few would be surprised if she didnt medal this year (or even next few years if Gabby and Mboma are healthy again + SMU drops down etc.). For comparison, McLaughlin and Mu were so dominant and far ahead of the field (or relatively equal with Muhammad in McLaughlin's case) that they had clear paths to immediate and future medal success even if they "underperform". Steiner has a much tougher task ahead of her.

                  Comment




                  • Some coaches are pretty critical of athletes signing these massive deals but having done "nothing" yet. Example Mike Holloway has spoken openly about it, even speaking about how Knighton (who he co-coaches) has done nothing and still needs to prove himself.[/QUOTE]

                    ”proving yourself” is a subjective term IMHO. I think 19.49 sounds like he has proven himself. I wonder if Mike Holloways definition of proving yourself has to include Olympic or WC individual golds? In that case, we can exclude people like Rai Benjamin, Michael Norman, Gaelen Rupp and others who have no individual golds but have proven themselves by most any other standard. Track careers and Olympic or WC success can be fleeting and I’m a proponent of cashing in if the money is there.

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by 58Commander View Post
                      ”proving yourself” is a subjective term IMHO. I think 19.49 sounds like he has proven himself. I wonder if Mike Holloways definition of proving yourself has to include Olympic or WC individual golds? In that case, we can exclude people like Rai Benjamin, Michael Norman, Gaelen Rupp and others who have no individual golds but have proven themselves by most any other standard. Track careers and Olympic or WC success can be fleeting and I’m a proponent of cashing in if the money is there.
                      I agree It is very very subjective. If I mentioned the names Dawn Sowell, Sha'carri Richardson, Clarence Munyai, Kendall Ellis and Randolph Ross what do they all have in common? They have run fast times and/or competed at global championships but would you say they have proven themselves? Has Michael Norman truly proven himself?

                      Holloway and some other coaches have a weekly podcast (Athletics LLC on YouTube). The topic of money came up recently after Richardson didn't qualify at USAs. They essentially dove into how shoe companies will reduce the amount they pay proven athletes in the 2nd half of their career to then pay NCAA athletes straight out of college who "haven't done anything yet", and yes they were leaning towards accolades on the world stage. I forget the example they used, but a hypothetical (my own) would be Nike changing/reducing Kirani James' pay to then pay Randolph Ross a huge amount coming out of college. (Again this is a hypothetical..).

                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by ATK View Post
                        https://www.instagram.com/p/CfmCcBlrLOt/

                        2 million dollar deal for Steiner with Puma apparently. According to some this is "the biggest contract signed by a female in track and field out of college". Who knows if the numbers are true.

                        Some coaches are pretty critical of athletes signing these massive deals but having done "nothing" yet. Example Mike Holloway has spoken openly about it, even speaking about how Knighton (who he co-coaches) has done nothing and still needs to prove himself.
                        I wouldn't doubt that she's really getting that sort of money but this unsourced Instagram post is nothing more than internet gossip.

                        Comment


                        • Originally posted by ATK View Post
                          I agree It is very very subjective. If I mentioned the names Dawn Sowell, Sha'carri Richardson, Clarence Munyai, Kendall Ellis and Randolph Ross what do they all have in common? They have run fast times and/or competed at global championships but would you say they have proven themselves? Has Michael Norman truly proven himself?

                          Holloway and some other coaches have a weekly podcast (Athletics LLC on YouTube). The topic of money came up recently after Richardson didn't qualify at USAs. They essentially dove into how shoe companies will reduce the amount they pay proven athletes in the 2nd half of their career to then pay NCAA athletes straight out of college who "haven't done anything yet", and yes they were leaning towards accolades on the world stage. I forget the example they used, but a hypothetical (my own) would be Nike changing/reducing Kirani James' pay to then pay Randolph Ross a huge amount coming out of college. (Again this is a hypothetical..).
                          Thanks for the lead to Holloway podcast. I have a lot of respect for him, Tim Hall and others who have consistently coached great athletes in their programs. One question I have always had was how the economics work for the shoe company’s endorsements. I would think that Kirani James the proven global track star would have a lot more name recognition than Ross would, but again I don’t know what they know. Given Holloway comments, the Allison Felix shoe fiasco, I would say you are right about the declining dollars spent on proven track athletes.

                          Comment


                          • Originally posted by JumboElliott View Post
                            Thompson-Herah is the favorite until someone beats her. It's kind of like when Bolt would lose to Gatlin in a one-off and people (myself included) wondered "is this finally the year?" and then Bolt would show up and romp.
                            Very bad analogy. Bolt won both Olympics and worlds almost always every time. ET has only proven herself on the Olympic stage. She cannot beat a fit and in form SJ at Eugene. 21.55 with 0 wind is crazy stuff without being in championship form. When Franno tapers her for the next 2 weeks, only God knows what she will run at Eugene. SJ might be in MJ 19.32, WVN 43.03, Bolt 9.58, etc rarified air come worlds.
                            Last edited by chukuyute; 07-04-2022, 11:31 PM.

                            Comment


                            • Originally posted by 58Commander View Post
                              I would think that Kirani James the proven global track star would have a lot more name recognition than Ross would
                              Ross, Steiner, Jefferson etc are just starting, they have a decade to not only put down multiple fast times, but also have new fans come in an grow with their career and story.

                              Comment


                              • Originally posted by jazzcyclist View Post

                                I wouldn't doubt that she's really getting that sort of money but this unsourced Instagram post is nothing more than internet gossip.
                                And if she'd signed with anybody, the sponsor would have told her to post that fact (but not the $ amount) on her social media, which she has not done.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X