• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• and to sum things up....

i just can't resist

1991_05-768x997.jpg

Sad but true

Comment

Yes, but the sport is still great to watch, albeit public attention these days is rare.
      I am down under, so what were the crowds like at the US champs. I have seen a few meets at the facility this year via cable tv, and I was struck by the many empty seats.. Is it price, or a lack of public interest?

Comment

I suppose people are saving up for Worlds, which will cost an arm and both legs!

Comment

It will be a bad look if such a small stadium, by past championship standards, is not near full. I like the idea of smaller stadiums, but they should still have good crowds. Outside Europe, there does not seem to be much interest to attend track and field.

Comment

What are the speculations as to why this weekend didnt meet expectations for attendance? Was attendance comparable to past USA championships at Hayward but the bigger stadium makes it look bad? Were people enthusiastic to attend?

And in 3 weeks will we see another Doha like setting with empty seats despite this being the track mecca of the country?

Comment

Attendance

2015 (Eugene)
              Thursday 8762
              Friday 9081
              Saturday 10,116
              Sunday 10,746

Thursday: 2,751
              Friday: 3,314.
              Saturday: 3,664.
              Sunday 3,577

Comment

Maybe a lot of Hayward old-timers boycotting the new stadium? It's baffling.

Comment

Originally posted by DrJay View Post
                  Attendance

2015 (Eugene)
                  Thursday 8762
                  Friday 9081
                  Saturday 10,116
                  Sunday 10,746

Thursday: 2,751
                  Friday: 3,314.
                  Saturday: 3,664.
                  Sunday 3,577
                  The virus is still in the heads of a lot of people. I'm betting there were still many who didn't want to take the chance of showing up, vaccinated or not.

2024 will decide if track attendance is as grave as it looked this week. It is probably still stable if not better for HS, because we had quite a good crowd at the New York City PSAL Champs at Randall's Island.

Comment

That fall in crowds is astounding, even allowing for covid. The US has so much depth, i would be wrapped to go to a US champs or NCAA final one day. I was going to book for WC, but covid stuff last year put me off..
                    Last edited by spartacus; 06-26-2022, 09:58 PM.

Comment

I was not going to start a thread with an article I recently wrote because I do not go on this site enough, but I think it is appropriate to this thread since it reflects the sentiment of gh, I think we both wish there was greater public interest in the great sport of track..

https://www.theroar.com.au/2022/06/2...oing-struggle/
                      Last edited by spartacus; 06-26-2022, 10:31 PM.

Comment

If that meet was held in Chicago or a big sports loving town they would have had major walk ins.

Comment

Hey, who needs fans in the stands when there's such fantastic tv coverage out there??!!
                          LOL

Comment

I was shocked to find it was $35 for general admission, and a hundred bucks if you wanted a seat. I'm no longer surprised by the empty stadium.

Of course, from the looks of it, you could buy the general admission and sit pretty much where you wanted. (That was my old strategy at Angels' games - I always had a much better seat for the last three innings than the first three.)

Comment

One thing they should have done when they saw how few tix were sold is make some kind of arrangement for school age kids to see the meet for free...no better way to build a fan base for the future...they would have at least spent a few bucks on a coke and hot dog!

Comment

Working...
                              X