Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

and to sum things up....

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #31
    Originally posted by JMysterio View Post

    You left out the always compelling watermelon seed spitting contest. Plus women with hairy pits. Who could resist?
    Now that's gauche!
    Have some manners!!
    LOL

    Comment


    • #32
      Originally posted by tgs3 View Post
      I think many people are only able/willing to go to one big meet, so those people have mostly chosen to go to the WC.
      And for some locals it may be the NCAA Championships which drew far more fans.

      Attendance from eTN: 8466/8451/9258/9162—35,337

      Comment


      • #33
        Originally posted by JMysterio View Post
        Other than track and field, I'm guessing there isn't much to attract people to Eugene, Oregon. Seriously...Paris, Monaco, Stockholm, Brussels, London....

        Eugene?
        I was at the DL in Paris a week ago. While the crowd was certainly knowledgeable, it was much smaller than I anticipated. The stadium capacity is 20K. The top deck on the straightaway side was blocked off, so capacity was probably 17K. At best, the stadium was half full, so around 8,500 spectators. My gut says it was probably closer to 5-6K.

        Comment


        • #34
          Originally posted by Cooter Brown View Post

          I was at the DL in Paris a week ago. While the crowd was certainly knowledgeable, it was much smaller than I anticipated. The stadium capacity is 20K. The top deck on the straightaway side was blocked off, so capacity was probably 17K. At best, the stadium was half full, so around 8,500 spectators. My gut says it was probably closer to 5-6K.
          No actual attendance figures?

          Paris was in the middle of a severe heat wave...LetsRun reported it was 95 degrees at the start of the meet.
          Last edited by JMysterio; 06-27-2022, 09:34 PM.
          I'm the best poster. Just ask me.

          Comment


          • #35
            Originally posted by JMysterio View Post
            No actual attendance figures?

            Paris was in the middle of a severe heat wave...LetsRun reported it was 95 degrees at the start of the meet.
            It was 95. I live in Texas so that’s a nice fall day for me. I didn’t think it was too bad but I could see locals staying out of the heat.

            i never trust attendance numbers since usually those are tickets sold and not butts in seats.

            Comment


            • #36
              Originally posted by Cooter Brown View Post

              It was 95. I live in Texas so that’s a nice fall day for me. I didn’t think it was too bad but I could see locals staying out of the heat.

              i never trust attendance numbers since usually those are tickets sold and not butts in seats.
              Having lived in North Carolina for about 40 years, always interesting to see European attitudes to "hot" weather when I'm over there. Days they think are brutally hot would be a standard or even a cooler than normal day in NC.

              Comment


              • #37
                Blog on the topic at hand. https://www.runblogrun.com/2022/06/w...at-eugene.html

                Comment


                • #38
                  Originally posted by Cooter Brown View Post

                  It was 95. I live in Texas so that’s a nice fall day for me. I didn’t think it was too bad but I could see locals staying out of the heat.

                  i never trust attendance numbers since usually those are tickets sold and not butts in seats.
                  Yes, "butt" haha...the tickets sold do show interest, people just stayed away and ate them.
                  I'm the best poster. Just ask me.

                  Comment


                  • #39
                    Originally posted by donley2 View Post
                    US Championships and trials used to be the event in this country. Here's a pic of the 1980 OT's at Hayward, even though they were meaningless.

                    https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...spectators.jpg
                    I'm the best poster. Just ask me.

                    Comment


                    • #40
                      Originally posted by JMysterio View Post
                      Here's a pic of the 1980 OT's at Hayward, even though they were meaningless
                      Far from it! With no Olympics to go to, the 1980 OT was THE meet for Americans that year.

                      Comment


                      • #41
                        Originally posted by donley2 View Post
                        I do agree that the goal of meet promoters should do what all other pro sports do - put fans in seats, by all means available, and by that metric, the LOC 'failed'.
                        At 25% capacity, Hayward looks like a ghost town. If it was ticket price, lower it, offer incentives, special group prices, children under 16 free, whatever.
                        If it was the heat, offer free bottles of chilled water in the stands.

                        Act like 80% capacity is a hard-and-fast goal and then retro-engineer how to make that happen.

                        Comment


                        • #42
                          This did not go unnoticed locally. From the Eugene Register-Guard newspaper, in the Losers section of the meet recap:


                          Track Town, USA's reputation — Those empty seats at Hayward Field weren’t a mirage bought on by the heat. The daily attendance figures for the four days were 2,751 (Thursday), 3,314 (Friday), 3,664 (Saturday) and 3,577 (Sunday). The total of 13,306 would’ve made for a nice standing-room only crowd at 12,900-seat Hayward Field. The best (busiest?) season of track and field in Eugene is starting to take a toll, apparently. Whether it was way too many meets for the local fanbase, way too high travel costs for the out of town fans, lingering COVID-19 concerns or focus and resources devoted to the World Athletics Championships next month, the USATF meet was clearly an afterthought. For perspective, when the meet was last held at Hayward Field in 2015, total attendance was 38,705 with an average daily of 9,676.

                          https://www.registerguard.com/story/...n/65364074007/

                          Comment


                          • #43
                            Originally posted by Atticus View Post
                            Far from it! With no Olympics to go to, the 1980 OT was THE meet for Americans that year.
                            Ah stop nitpicking . Obviously for fans it was the meet which I pointed out, but for the athletes...some didn't compete and others with dual citizenship competed for other countries.
                            I'm the best poster. Just ask me.

                            Comment


                            • #44
                              The "big" meets do need to be spread around a bit!

                              Comment


                              • #45
                                Originally posted by bambam1729 View Post

                                Having lived in North Carolina for about 40 years, always interesting to see European attitudes to "hot" weather when I'm over there. Days they think are brutally hot would be a standard or even a cooler than normal day in NC.
                                I think a major reason why is that people tend to construct and specify buildings for the usual weather conditions in that location. In most parts of Europe, 95F is an unusually hot temperature that might only occur every couple of years or so. In these places, buildings are more likely to be designed to be warm in winter than to moderate hot summer weather (e.g. lack of aircon in private homes) and there probably won't be practices like shutting things down for an afternoon siesta that is often done in southern Europe.

                                An opposite example is that buildings in warmer areas are often not very suitable in unusually cold winter weather. My sister had a short break in Florida one January and came back complaining that the hotel was too cold for the weather they had while she was there.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X