Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SoCal45 View Post
    The "big" meets do need to be spread around a bit!
    Amen.

Comment

Originally posted by Atticus View Post
      I do agree that the goal of meet promoters should do what all other pro sports do - put fans in seats.
      That is not where team revenue is in team sports, it is eyeballs on some traceable and remunerative electronic medium.

Comment

In any case track and field really blew it this year. NHL, NBA, NFL not playing, MLB division races are not newsworthy until late August and the World Cup doesn't start up until November. They had the chance for the stage all by themselves but they apparently didn't develop much of a promotional plan.
        I'm the best poster. Just ask me.

Comment

https://www.thesportsexaminer.com/la...tracktown-usa/

Comment

Stockholm meet director estimates a crowd of 10,000 tomorrow.

Comment

Summing up..
              U of Florida qualified 7 athletes for USA team, plus Joe Fahnbulleh (Liberia(.
              Any other school with near that number? Southern Cal, Texas ??

Comment

Hard questions will have to be asked and people held to account .
                It is simply not acceptable to have thousands of empty seats at a major championship .
                TV companies do not pay top dollar for such badly organised events .
                Tickets will have to be given away free to children or even the general public .
                Or even be as radical as the Middle East countries who go as far as paying people to attend sporting events .
                Read recently that 42% of young people have no interest in sport in general - and even the ones who do attend sporting events seem to spend most of the time staring at their smartphone.
                Many sports are really going to have to fight to stay relevant - sadly from what we have seen at Eugene - the organisers are still living off past glories and are failing to adapt to the modern world .

Comment

I watch ESPNs and FoxSports and such in morning. Not one word about swimming, T&F, Tri, bicycle. Soccer highlights are shown if national team played or in Top 10 highlights of news. Women sports news would be non existence if it was not for WNBA highlights or if they carry grand slam tennis tournament. F1 is shown but covered by European commentators (I turn CC on). Golf is on the way out. The only thing that is matter is American Football (moms do not let your kids play football).

What to do:
                  Perhaps we have to do what women soccer and softball did. Work with kids and bring them to all meets for free. Free entry fees but many kids purchase foods.
                  My experience when my kid was competing: More kids at snack bar than on stands. It is Ok and some may become interested.

Prize and Contract Money
                  TV shows spend time to explain salary of athletes. Maybe Coe should work on club championships at least in Europe. Clubs should hire athletes.

Sign of the time?
                  I loved watching a few SEC indoor meets but did not enjoy outdoor ones. It used to be the other way around for me.
                  Perhaps more folks are into shorten meets and smaller venues.
                  Last edited by GHM; 06-29-2022, 09:52 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by GHM View Post
                    Maybe Coe should work on club championships at least in Europe.
                    Europe has had continental club championships for decades now: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Euro...Cup_(athletics) Some top stars do compete there, but it's not considered a major competition
                    Było smaszno, a jaszmije smukwijne...

Comment

Originally posted by Bruce Kritzler View Post
                      Summing up..
                      U of Florida qualified 7 athletes for USA team, plus Joe Fahnbulleh (Liberia(.
                      Any other school with near that number? Southern Cal, Texas ??
                      As far as I can tell, USC has 9, (not including Allyson Felix, who never competed for USC and Celera Barnes, who might be on the 4x1 relay pool)

Women
                      Twanisha Terry 100
                      Kendall Ellis 400
                      Nia Ali 100h
                      Dalilah Muhammad 400h
                      Amalie Iuel 400h (Norway)

Men
                      Andre De Grasse 100/200 (Canada)
                      Aaron Brown 100/200 (Canada)
                      Michael Norman 400
                      Rai Benjamin 400h
                      Nick Ponzi SP (Italy)

Comment

Originally posted by br View Post

As far as I can tell, USC has 9, (not including Allyson Felix, who never competed for USC and Celera Barnes, who might be on the 4x1 relay pool)

Women
                        Twanisha Terry 100
                        Kendall Ellis 400
                        Nia Ali 100h
                        Dalilah Muhammad 400h
                        Amalie Iuel 400h (Norway)

Men
                        Andre De Grasse 100/200 (Canada)
                        Aaron Brown 100/200 (Canada)
                        Michael Norman 400
                        Rai Benjamin 400h
                        Nick Ponzi SP (Italy)

There could be as many as 11 USC Trojans at the WC. Nicole Yeargin (GBR) is entered in the women's 400. And Jaide Stepter-Baines could make one of the USA 4x400 relays.

Comment

I am well on record for my distaste for Eugene having a stranglehold on American championship meets, but is it possible that part of the problem is that:

1) there are relatively few T&F fans left in this country;
                          2) we are relatively spread out throughout the country;
                          3) fans (even dedicated ones) make rational choices about the meets they attend, partially based on economic realities and partially based on where in the country they want to visit;
                          4) some fans are tired of making the logistically difficult trip to Eugene; and
                          5) having the four biggest track and field meets in the country in one place in one year (a place that isn't particularly close to a major airport) is an economically subpar decision?

Over the years I have come to accept that the UO/Nike supremacy of US T&F is a necessarily evil, but give the people some choice.

Comment

Originally posted by JumboElliott View Post
                            I am well on record for my distaste for Eugene having a stranglehold on American championship meets, but is it possible that part of the problem is that:

1) there are relatively few T&F fans left in this country;
                            2) we are relatively spread out throughout the country;
                            3) fans (even dedicated ones) make rational choices about the meets they attend, partially based on economic realities and partially based on where in the country they want to visit;
                            4) some fans are tired of making the logistically difficult trip to Eugene; and
                            5) having the four biggest track and field meets in the country in one place in one year (a place that isn't particularly close to a major airport) is an economically subpar decision?

Over the years I have come to accept that the UO/Nike supremacy of US T&F is a necessarily evil, but give the people some choice.
                            Did you make the trek to Des Moines in 2018 or 2019?

Comment

Originally posted by JMysterio View Post

Yes, "butt" haha...the tickets sold do show interest, people just stayed away and ate them.
                              Depends. There's one major football school that has the AD buy any remaining seats for $1 to assure their sell out streak stays intact.

Comment

Originally posted by Cooter Brown View Post

Depends. There's one major football school that has the AD buy any remaining seats for $1 to assure their sell out streak stays intact.
                                I'd say the meet director of a major competition would never do something like that.

Comment

Working...
                                X