Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by gm View Post

Did you make the trek to Des Moines in 2018 or 2019?
    I did in 2019 because I was in Lincoln, Nebraska for work. In 2018, I was poor law student.

Austin, Texas. There's a place it should be.

Comment

Originally posted by JMysterio View Post
      Stockholm meet director estimates a crowd of 10,000 tomorrow.
      They should hold the next World Champs if it has yet to be decided.

Comment

Originally posted by CookyMonzta View Post

They should hold the next World Champs if it has yet to be decided.
        Budapest is next year already. 2025 have Kenya, Singapore and Tokyo bidding.

Comment

Originally posted by JumboElliott View Post

I did in 2019 because I was in Lincoln, Nebraska for work. In 2018, I was poor law student.

Austin, Texas. There's a place it should be.
          What did you think of the Des Moines experience? Weather can't be controlled, so taking that out of the equation I enjoy being there. Nice city with plenty to do and places to stay/eat.

Austin will never host the U.S. championships. It doesn't have the infrastructure, surprisingly enough. Unless they lay down a practice track inside Memorial Stadium.

Comment

Originally posted by ATK View Post
            2025 have Kenya, Singapore and Tokyo bidding.
            And Chorzów
            Było smaszno, a jaszmije smukwijne...

Comment

Originally posted by Powell View Post

And Chorzów
              That would be an awesome place for it. Poland does a superb job with big meets.

Comment

That would be an awesome place for it. Poland does a superb job with big meets.
                I would love to see the WC take place in Poland. The only problem I see is the 2023 edition taking place in Hungary. I doubt WA will want to host two consecutive editions in the same region.
                Było smaszno, a jaszmije smukwijne...

Comment

In the early 1990s I organized a committee to look at the possibility of holding the WC in Durham, NC. At the time the Duke track was inside the football stadium and T&F News had just run an article mentioning that it was the largest stadium in the USA where you could hold all the events inside the stadium - seats about 45,000, easily 55-60K with temporary stands. The committee had a lot of good people on it - LeRoy Walker, Tom Butters (Duke AD), Al Buehler, Don Paige (lives in Durham since about 1990), and some other local sports people you wouldn't know. I met with both the IAAF in London and spoke with the TAC people but we didn't get very far. Mainly because TAC refused to support the idea and the quote I got from them was, "I'm not sure why we even want to hold the WC in this country." The IAAF loved the idea although summer weather in Durham would have been a problem, but that quote from TAC gives you some idea what we're dealing with. (The Duke track is no longer inside the football stadium so its no longer an option to hold it in Durham) Duke / Durham had a history of a lot of pretty good meets - 2-3 NCAA meets, duals against Africa and West Germany, US Olympic Festival and we used to draw fairly well - didn't fill the stadium but we would get 20,000 or so. Seems like forever ago we had those meetings. I still have the white paper I drew up for the committee.

Comment

Random question: Why are these world championships called "Oregon22" as opposed to "Eugene22"?

Comment

Random question: Why are these world championships called "Oregon22" as opposed to "Eugene22"?
                      Perhaps part of the deal that brought $31 million in funding for the event from state government coffers.

The State of Oregon is investing $31 million of its own money in the 2022 Worlds and the $9 million from the Federal government completes Governor Kate Brown’s promise to provide $40 million of the expected $75 million cost of the event.

The other $35 million is expected to come from USA Track & Field ($10 million), from individual donations ($10 million) and $15 million from ticket sales.
                      https://www.thesportsexaminer.com/he...-pay-for-play/
                      Last edited by Davidokun; 07-01-2022, 12:58 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Davidokun View Post

Perhaps part of the deal that brought $31 million in funding for the event from state government coffers.

https://www.thesportsexaminer.com/he...-pay-for-play/
                        I'd like to see the projected revenue breakdown. They're projecting revenue between $224 mil and $374 mil in visitor spending on the Worlds.
                        Last edited by JMysterio; 07-01-2022, 01:07 AM.
                        I'm the best poster. Just ask me.

Comment

Maybe because lodging in Eugene is so limited that most visitors will be staying outside the city and as far away as Portland. 😏

Comment

Originally posted by wamego relays champ View Post

Maybe because lodging in Eugene is so limited that most visitors will be staying outside the city and as far away as Portland. 😏
                            That's why I ended up selling my tickets. I did find a VRBO in Corvallis but really didn't want do that drive back each day. Oh well, thanks to whoever paid me 3X face value for my tickets.

Comment

Austin will never host the U.S. championships. It doesn't have the infrastructure, surprisingly enough. Unless they lay down a practice track inside Memorial Stadium.
                              I'd love for it to be here but it wouldn't draw 5,000 spectators. Plus, I don't think anyone wants to compete on 100+ degree days with 85 degree lows...which is June 1 to October 1.

Can the practice track be a 200m indoor track? There are rumors that when they replace the "bubble" just north of Myers stadium with a new indoor football facility that it will include an indoor track.

Comment

What did you think of the Des Moines experience? Weather can't be controlled, so taking that out of the equation I enjoy being there. Nice city with plenty to do and places to stay/eat.

I liked Des Moines. Nothing particularly impressive about the accommodations at Drake Stadium, but it was easy to get in and out of and people from the Great Plains are generally pleasant. It was also a very good meet.

Speaking of accommodations, I have no doubt that the current Hayward Field is an impressive stadium, but it seems soulless compared to the original Hayward (full disclosure, I've been to neither and I'm speaking just off of what I can see on tv).

Comment

Working...
                                X