Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why is everyone so high on Moraa??
    Her PR is just 1:57.45!!
    Mu, Wilson, Hodgkinson, Rogers, Almanza & quite a few others have run faster...and most of them more than once!
    IF Moraa makes the final, and IF she runs 1:57.00 in her SEMI---then and only then will I see her as a POSSIBLE serious contender for A MEDAL....and certainly NOT Gold!!
    Gold is Mu's alone to lose!!

Comment

• Originally posted by aaronk View Post

NO!!!!
      Absolutely NOT!!!
      In case you don't know me very well, I don't give a rat's ass what WA or USATF or any governing body, or statistical body (including T&FN!) has to say!
      MY Record Book & blog says there is an INdoor season, with its own records & lists, and there is an OUTdoor season, with its own set of records and lists!

Thus, if Mondo clears 6.17 in Eugene, it will be a WORLD RECORD!!
      And I at least will be celebrating THAT World Record as the BEST EVER!!!
      His INdoor WR is the WR for INdoors ONLY!!!

I appreciate the idea and I sort of wish I could have that state of mind... But I'm always a (mild) party pooper!

Comment

Why is everyone so high on Moraa??
        Mu, Wilson, Hodgkinson, Rogers, Almanza & quite a few others have run faster...and most of them more than once!
        IF Moraa makes the final, and IF she runs 1:57.00 in her SEMI---then and only then will I see her as a POSSIBLE serious contender for A MEDAL....and certainly NOT Gold!!
        Definitely; Moraa is very impressive and I'll put her in my silver medal slot at the contest. But Mu is just too impressive to be dismissed off of a (however impressive and close to WCs) DL race.

Comment

• Mu is not as good as she was last year: she ran under 50 secs 3 times and was 1 second faster over 800m. Eugene may see her back to her best, but for now she isn't there.

And no woman has dipped under 1:57 yet, which means it could be a closer race than many think.

Moraa is comfortably under 51 in the 400 and has just run two 1:57s in her last races. She's on an upwards trajectory. On paper she's a challenger.

Comment

• I thought Moraa was impressive. She may not win WCs, but she certainly adds more depth to the race.

Comment

• Moraa's longer-term history in the 800, while fairly brief, is not as impressive as all that (1:59/2:00 throughout last year, 1:59 for 4th as recently as Rome DL); and she certainly might fall flat in Eugene without it being a big shock. But no matter how it's sliced, beating Kipyegon and Hodgkinson in consecutive races is extremely impressive.

Comment

• Originally posted by Atticus View Post
                Dos Santos was brilliant. Went out HARD and held on well! 46.80.
                Rai will have his hands full!
                Dos Santos looked really good.
                I am predicting Gold for him, and Silver for Benjamin.

I don't think Warholm will be ready.
                He will either pass on the Championships altogether, or will be like Gabby Thomas was at USATF....coming back from injury, but not fully recovered.

Comment

• I agree with the focus on Moraa. IMO, the darn shame of the entire meet was that they had a pacer in that race in the first place. Mary Moraa is just learning how to run the 800 and to do it the Kenyan way. After going out in 27.4 during the Kenyan trials she doesn't need a pacer.

I watched that pacer from the outset, knowing the situational aspect. Sure enough, she got stuck in the blocks and seemingly wasn't informed at all that everything had to change given Moraa in the field. It was pathetic that Moraa had to check up and then run the remainder of the first lap short strided and hesitantly.

Athing Mu is not vulnerable to a closer. Only someone who can change the dynamic at the front end and also keep going makes that an interesting event, at Eugene and years beyond. Moraa fits the bill. As Steve Cram emphasized, she pulled away from Kipyegon at 800 last week very similarly to Hodgkinson today.

Moraa would have been more of a known quantity entering 2022 if she hadn't run so green in the Olympic semifinal. She had the outside lane and didn't know what to do. Consequently she settled into the pack and remained in lane two for the entirety of the race. At one point she was last during the final backstretch. Then she blew past almost everybody late including Ajee Wilson. It looked like such a waste that she left it so late. I remember thinking she had far more obvious athletic ability than anyone who missed the final.

Fortunately she is figuring things out. Good luck picking someone like Raevyn Rogers ahead of her. That pathetic style needs to be embarrassed to the point of extinction.

Comment

• I guess the men's 3000 demonstrates why Paul Swangard didn't name anybody over the final 200 meters of that Diamond League 1500 a few years ago. Preferable to spitting out one wrong name after another, as Tim Hutchings did today.

I had no clue who it was.

Comment

• dos Santos was so impressive today. He attacked that race and maintained the 12 strides through 6 so much easier than his prior race. The 400 hurdles is so great because it's totally different than the 400. You can't settle into a rhythm and then put your foot down at 200. These days the leaders are long gone and you have no chance to reign them in. I despise closers in every race of every sport. This event spits them out.

Comment

Why is everyone so high on Moraa??
                        They're more relieved that Keely ran a poor race and is now devalued.

No one is really tearing up this event, the scenario of the entire field running 1:56 when they only run a 58 first lap is pretty remote.
                        I'm the best poster. Just ask me.

Comment

• Bol must not have liked it during the press conference yesterday when they introduced her as the backup plan. The hostess matter of factly said we didn't invite you or promote you but the woman we did invite didn't get here in time, so we'll talk to you instead.

Bol did a great job carrying more speed around the final turn. It equated to the first time she has gone well under 16 seconds from 8 home. She reached 8 at the same time as Oslo -- 36.5 -- but finished 15.77 seconds later instead of 16.11 in Oslo, after chopping to 16 steps on 10.

I don't think she can go much faster than that from 8 home. My offseason estimate was 15.7 best case. She probably could have been 15.7 today if not for the wobble over 10 which caused her right shoulder to dip and a sideways step to the right. That slight loss of balance obviously is Bol's tendency when she's not accustomed to carry that much speed late. The same type of shoulder dip happened in Ostrava after the final hurdle during the 36.86 at 300.

Entering 2022 I thought the two areas she could improve was more aggressive on the final turn and remaining much closer to the left lane line during turns. She has started to maximize the first part. But there hasn't been any change toward greater loyalty to the left side. She was very wide after 8 today, the same thing that happened in Tokyo when there was such a glaring difference between where Dalilah and Sydney were positioned compared to Femke.

Here is Bol today, not long after landing after 8. She is on the extreme outside of the lane. I think her long legs give her more trouble cutting that corner as sharply as the 5 foot 9 types can manage. Then the more speed she carries over 8 the further outside it takes her after landing:

https://imgur.com/a/Z7Cw0Pa

BTW, the Finnish hurdler Viivi Lehikoinen is steadily improving. She is Bol's training partner, a member of the Finland world championship team, and ran another personal best today. Viivi is the same age as Bol. I think that's probably why Meuwly brought her to camp last year, knowing that Lea Sprunger would soon retire and that Bol could benefit from another world class hurdler in the camp for years to come.

Comment

• Originally posted by JMysterio View Post

Dietsche was the one replaced. Doesn't the other Kambundji run a decent 100? I know she's a hurdler.
                            And there is a tiny runner named Gutknecht who is impressive.

Comment

• Wrestling fans, would it be OK if I referred to the men's 800m winner as "The Fabulous Moula" or is that too obscure a reference?

Comment

• Originally posted by Jshapco2 View Post

Shocker Jacobs pulled out of the meet.
                                Then this guy will show up and run like 9.68 in Eugene watch.

Comment

Working...
                                X