Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gatlin in Golden League 200..

Can hardly wait to see Gatlin in tomorrows 200 agaimst Capel, Patton, Crawford.......

Re: Gatlin in Golden League 200..

The bet still stands (see Brussels Blowout thread). It's more a gentleman's bet kind of thing, but I really think someone's breaking 20.

Comment

I think Gatlin is easily the best 200 runner in the world, although his lack of experience at the distance this year (a DNF in his one attempt) may be a bit of a problem. Note that even if he runs 19.50 in Brussels he can't compete in the GP Final in Monaco the next weekend, becuase he doesn't have enough meets to make the IAAF Rankings.

As of today, here's the 8 that would run in Monaco (cut and pasted from the IAAF Rankings):
      1.  (2.) Darvis PATTON 77 USA 1319
      2.  (1.) Frank FREDERICKS 67 NAM 1318
      3.  (8.) John CAPEL 78 USA 1315
      4.  (7.) Stéphane BUCKLAND 77 MRI 1300
      5.  (2.) Marlon DEVONISH 76 GBR 1296
      6.  (4.) Shawn CRAWFORD 78 USA 1286
      7.  (26.) Shingo SUETSUGU 80 JPN 1271
      8.  (11.) Joshua J. JOHNSON 76 USA 1269

Not a bad group, except for Marlon Devonish. Marlon who?! Well, even though he hasn't broken 20.50 this year, and was only 4th in the Brit champs and couldn't run in Paris, he's got a super-high rating becuase he won the World Indoor, which is totally irrelevant to the outdoor game.

Comment

Allow me to correct myself slightly. I had forgotten about Rule 9.1 of the GP Final operating procedures, which says that only the first 7 in the Rankings (first 11 in the non-lane races) are guaranteed entry into the Final.

9.3 then notes that the IAAF has the right to add a wild card in 5 different events should it so choose. After those 5 wild cards are chosen, then the remaining No. 8s get in.

So there is an open door for a handful of people who are outside the Rankings window. Good planning by the IAAF. There, now that I've cleared the way for Gatlin to run 19.50.... :-)

Comment

Patton, Capel, JJJ AND Gatlin can all go under 20 this year, but we're almost out of time. Contrarian that I am, I think the 200 is actually UP this year.

Comment

The only way JJJ is going to break 20 is if he gets the same kind of lane draw he did in Brussels in '01, when he came from nowhere to lead the world list at 19.88. He was in 9 that night.

He's just too long-legged and doesn't run the curve well enough when he's in interior corridors. He gave up so much ground in the Paris semis I didn't think he'd make the final, and when he did he ended up stuck in lane 2. Closed like a racehorse, but was too far back to make up the difference. Showed what he can do in the straight with a running start against Chambers in the 4x1 final.

Comment

Come on Justin! The target is 19.65 (maybe next year...)

Comment

At last I have watched Justin Gatlin on 200m and, yes, a 19.65/70 is really possible for him next year. Should not be injured, he 'd won the WC hands down.

Comment

I don't think we are going to see 19.65-19.72 any time soon. Gatlin may go 19.82 at best. Kederis could go 19.80 or better if he returns to his form from last year in 2004.

Comment

I think, at best, one time below 20 this year.
                    Perhaps at the IAAF finals. Anybody can do it.
                    Remember JJ Johnson in 2001....

Comment

P.S. Why didn't Capel run 200 in Brussells ?

Comment

>I don't think we are going to see 19.65-19.72 any
                        >time soon. Gatlin may go 19.82 at best. >>

Huh?!!!! Gatlin ran 19.86 as a 20-year-old last year and has since shown enough native speed and starting ability to win the World Championships 60, and you think there's only 0.04 of improvement left in him in an event where he's only scratched the surface of his talent?

Comment

Working...
                        X