Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Way to Effectively Address Doping?

Why doesn't the IAAF address the doping problem the way prosecutors and US Attorneys address the crime problem? If an athlete or coach who is caught with a dirty test names and provides testimony against the agent/doctor/team that provided the support system for the doping, the equivelant of turning "state's witness," then the IAAF can reduce the athlete's suspension. May be a way to get to the more systemic nature of the problem than just banning/suspending individual athletes, which most seem to think is just the tip of the iceberg. Perhaps IAAF does this, but I have not read about it?

Re: A Way to Effectively Address Doping?

Let me guess, you're a lawyer, right? Drumming up business? It would be a he said/she said quagmire, with the governing bodies now having to hire not only the army of testers they already have, but also an army of private eyes and lawyers to investigate/prosecute the case. And since there would not be much of a paper trail, every time somebody accused somebody and couldn't prove it, there would be a defamation lawsuit to follow. And the athlete who turned in somebody in the family would be ostracized by his peers forever. How delightful.

Comment

This does bring up a good point. I don't think the IAAF needs to directly get involved but it might go a long way to slowing down the dopers if the IAAF and USATF gets local law enforcement involved. These athletes are most likely getting these drugs from doctors, it might be much more effective to have local law enforcement investigate some of these doctors and try to stop the problem at the source. Isn't it illegal to give someone a prescription drug that doesn't medically need it? I'm fairly certain it's illegal to possess a prescription drug without a prescription which might apply in some of these cases as well. If a 2 year or lifetime ban or just the possibility of public embarrassment isn't enough to stop some of these people then perhaps some jail time will. Certainly any doctor that prescribes drugs for athletes to enhance their performance has no business practicing medicine in the US, maybe the authorities need to find some of these people and make examples of them. It seems like that might be what's already happening:

http://www.smdailyjournal.com/article.c ... ryID=24982

It reminded me of what the French were doing to try to clean up the Tour de France (which seemed a little draconian to me at the time but with the current state of T-and-F...), maybe that's what it takes to clean up a sport. Is cycling a cleaner sport since the French have started all their investigations and surprise searches and such? Any cyclists out there care to comment?

Comment

In response to Tangled Web, yes, I plead guilty to being a lawyer. (Part of the U.S. legal system that is so bad that the only thing worse is every other system. Apologies to Winston Churchill, I believe.) And you make excellent points about the complications of going after the distributors of the drugs. But given the seeming breadth of the problem, and the truism that team chemists are always a step ahead of the testers, it seems time to take an approach that goes beyond punishing only the individual athlete whose test comes up positive. If there are agents, coaches, national team heads who are providing the illegal drugs, then let's get to them with appropriate punishments, and thereby give the rest of the world motivation not to give in to the doping temptation. Fear of punishment is a great agent for behavioral change.

Comment

“Many forms of government have been tried and will be tried in this world of sin and woe. No one pretends that democracy is perfect or all wise. Indeed, it has been said that democracy is the worst form of government, except for all the others that have been tried from time to time. - Winston Churchill, 1947.

Comment

Working...
          X