Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

BBC Studio : Jackson out! New MJ Sidekick??

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BBC Studio : Jackson out! New MJ Sidekick??

OK, our powers dont go beyond chatting on here, as chris rawlinson will testify to, but the last time we decided that we'd had enough of John Regis and had a full scale revolt, what do you know, the beeb got rid of him.

I really get the feeling everyone is fed up with Colin Jackson and his brady bunch type comment and grammatically all over the place sammarisations.

We need a new sidekick for Micahel Johnson. The Linford idea wont work as Linford is another alpha dog who, although he would be good, wouldnt want to play Robin to Mj's batman.

Roger Black was quite good, although annoying at times with his facial expressions and the way he strained his words, he did make quite a lot of sense (see Seville 99 reveiw of mens 800m, talking about british team selection, he really was spot on. Also, the US drug revelations in Sydney)

Sally of course, was literally, bonkers. She had some funny chat, however, couldnt articulate what was literally happening out there too great.Except for the hurdles races, although she used to literally make some random great comments.

Kelly used to be fun getting interveiwed - then she got rubbish, presumably after she got some media training.

Chris Boxer, fantastic as she was, juust isnt gonna happen due to lack of star quality.

Personally for me, I owuld love to see Cathy Freeman. There are obvious drawbacks that would stop her being hired, as she isnt british, so it would be 2 foreigners, and also, they like to at least have someone who has hurdled. However, i just think Cathy is hilarious, she just says the truth in a quirky way, and is just a really great girl.

I think Jonathan Edwards is just as spot on as Michael Johnson, but theyve got him in the commentary box anyway, although when he sits in the studio alonside Colin, he (finally gettings a Gunnellism in appropriate context :-P) literally makes Colin look like a dumb twelve year old. Or maybe its Colin who makes Jonathan sound like an Cambridge graduate.

Any thoughts?

ps - I love Sue! I think she does her role perfectly, acting in place of the general public, asking the questions that those armchair fans who dont know the sport inside out would be thinking.
    Get Colin outta there!
    0%
    Keep him in: i love his in depth, detailed insights
    0%

Re: BBC Studio : Jackson out! New MJ Sidekick??

Why do they need an athlete?

I wish they'd get a coach in there. Ron Pickering was great in his day.

Comment

Originally posted by Daisy

I don't like Babbling Brendan.

During the W5000m in Melbourne, he started talking about the 1952 men's steeplechase Olympic final.

He uses the words "class" and "great" too often and he always makes the comment "and in 1952, women were allowed to run no more than 200m."
      http://twitter.com/Trackside2011

Comment

No, no, no ! There is ONLY ONE person deserving and that is.....

( sound of trumpets)

CAROL LEWIS

( oops, it is 3 days past 4/1)

Comment

Originally posted by Daisy

Yes, I think they make a completely wrong assumption in thinking ex-world class athletes make the best commentators.
          Było smaszno, a jaszmije smukwijne...

Comment

I'm in favor of getting rid of all commentators (ex-athletes included) who don't respect the athletes that are competing today (and yes this applies to MJ too). We need more positive commentary to bring our sport into a more positive light. This is one of the only sports where I've heard commentators "bad mouth" the athletes. As entertaining as it might be, I don't believe that it's in the best interest of the sport. It would also be beneficial if the commentators met with some of the athletes that they are going to be talking about (and actually knew the NAMES of the athletes that were competing without having to look at their reference sheets mid race). Being a commentator means knowing the sport inside out. They should have details on everyone that is competing in a particular event (not just the ones who are supposed to win). Commentating for a sport is more than just talking about the winners and giving opinions about so and so, it's about providing the viewers with facts, stats, background, updates, set up information as well as personal opinions to enhance the viewers experience. Can you imagine a commentator bad mouthing Tiger Woods for having a couple of bad rounds and struggling to make the cut? Even on his worst day they highlight how great he is and how he's always a threat to comeback and challenge for the win (and at the same time they give credit to players who are competing well).

We need more of that in T&F!!

Comment

Originally posted by liuxuan
              OK, our powers dont go beyond chatting on here, as chris rawlinson will testify to, but the last time we decided that we'd had enough of John Regis and had a full scale revolt, what do you know, the beeb got rid of him.
              This part of your post made sense on the IAAF Board, but it's just a bit of a non sequitur here.

Comment

Working...
              X