Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kajsa Bergqvist - movie star?

I was browsing some of the Russian sports websites this morning and ran across an article in Sport Express that says Kajsa Bergqvist has signed up to act in a movie (playing herself) and that production is already underway. Is this old news? It's the first I'd heard of it.

The Russian site refers to the movie's title as "Высота" (Height), and says the story is about a Kurdish boy who comes to Sweden dreaming to become a high jumper, and gets help from his idol, Kajsa.

Somehow I don't think it will end up being a big hit in America, but the Swedish T&F fans should get a treat when it comes out next winter. Hopefully EPelle can give us a review.

Haven't hear that but could surely be like that. She is married to one of swdens most popular movie directors Måns Herngren. Perhaps it's his movie?!

Comment

Track and Field has some of the most beautiful and amazing female athletes in all of sports. I'm surprised that more female athletes aren't branching out into other celebrity arenas (acting, modeling, commercials...etc). Anna Kournikova has made millions off of her looks and helped bring a new fan base to the sport and she's only a marginally good tennis player. I think Track and Field could use a good poster girl to help market and popularize the sport. I've invited friends to major competitions and they couldn't get past the women's pole vault pit.

Any suggestions on who Track's Poster Girl should/could be?

International suggestions are welcome...

Comment

Originally posted by Quarter Horse
        Melisa Barber is amazing (sorry for the non-non-American suggestion).

Comment

Track and Field has some of the most beautiful and amazing female athletes in all of sports. I'm surprised that more female athletes aren't branching out into other celebrity arenas (acting, modeling, commercials...etc). Anna Kournikova has made millions off of her looks and helped bring a new fan base to the sport and she's only a marginally good tennis player. I think Track and Field could use a good poster girl to help market and popularize the sport. I've invited friends to major competitions and they couldn't get past the women's pole vault pit.

AK was more than marginally good. I think that she was ranked in the top 10 (or close) but she did not ever win a full Pro Tour tournament. If you look at the tenth best T&F female athlete would you refer to them as only marginally good? BTW her more successful and younger compatriot is also garnering non-tennis dollars although she is not pushing so hard her yet.

Comment

My apologies for disrespecting AK's talent level. I checked around and you're absolutely right (at one point she was ranked in the top 10) and she was also ranked the #1 doubles player at the same time. But the fact that she's never won a major tournament is similar to one of our female athletes making a National Team but never making the finals at a World Event.

Comment

My apologies for disrespecting AK's talent level. I checked around and you're absolutely right (at one point she was ranked in the top 10) and she was also ranked the #1 doubles player at the same time. But the fact that she's never won a major tournament is similar to one of our female athletes making a National Team but never making the finals at a World Event.
              didn't she make semi's at wimbelton(sp?) remember, tennis does not have like 80 events were athletes of different types excel. they only have doubles and mixed doubles which have nowhere near the glory of the singles. what the accomplished in tennis is probably as good or better tha making the finals in a world event in one of the multitute of track and field events. come on--in tennis, only 2 players make finals, not the same thing.

also, her failure is definatly the SI cover curse, she made tons of covers of magazines, no wonder her failure to win a tourney

Comment

Her highjump form is suspect!

http://www.vg.no/bilder/bildarkiv/997654782.jpg
                phsstt!

Comment

With any luck she'll be at least as good as the last Swedish star to turn to movies, Ricky Bruch! :-)

Comment

Re: Kajsa Bergqvist - movie star?

Originally posted by BruceFlorman
                    I was browsing some of the Russian sports websites this morning and ran across an article in Sport Express that says Kajsa Bergqvist has signed up to act in a movie (playing herself) and that production is already underway. Is this old news? It's the first I'd heard of it.
                    The Russian site refers to the movie's title as "Высота" (Height), and says the story is about a Kurdish boy who comes to Sweden dreaming to become a high jumper, and gets help from his idol, Kajsa.
                    I guess this has got slightly exaggerated. Some facts:

The film will be called "Hoppet" which is an intricate wordplay in Swedish meaning both "The Jump" and "The Hope" and as said the main character is 12 years old Kurdish refugee boy who has this dream of becoming the No 1 high jumper in the world.
                    The most famous actor in the film (which is shot during this spring) will be Peter Stormare ("Fargo", "Dancer in the dark", "Prison break" etc) who has left his Hollywood home for a few weeks to return to his native Sweden.
                    The film has absolutely nothing to do with Kajsa's movie director boyfriend (they are not married) Måns Herngren.
                    Kajsa's contribution will be just a very limited cameo appearance.

You can rest assured that Kajsa never will become a "movie star". She is a very private person off the track and will be anxious to get out of the media spot light as soon as the high jump career is finished.

Comment

Thanks jla!

So Peter Stormare played the monster bad guy, Geir Grimsrud in "Fargo"
                      I had no idea who that guy was but thought maybe he was Scandihoovian!

Lee Marvin class over his acting in that role.

Comment

Anna was far more than marginally good. She was ranked #8 in the world. When you think of the top 8 overall athletes in the world its like, Kluft, Dibaba, Radcliffe, Menendez,Felix, Berquist, Sanya Richards,Defar.

I wouldnt call any of them marginally good.

She was also ranked #1 in doubles.

Sure, she never won a major tournament. she was semi finalist at Wimbledon though, which is kinda lik ethe equivelant of a top 4 placing in the olympics, maybe even a bronze.

She was a great player, she should have been a lot better I do admit her attention was sidetracked by the modellling etc. Her career was sadly stopped by persistent injuries.

Comment

Working...
                        X