Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• woe is me - GB 5th last in men´s long race team contest

Having watched UK athletics slump from bad to worse, and hoped, this is just too much to bear. 16th and 5th last in the team contest ahead of Canada, Botswana, Chile and Egypt. UK cross country runners might be slow, but they´re fast in one respect: fast running out of countries to beat.
    The motherland of cross country now looks like the grandmother-land. Talk about hard sell, it was hard enough to sell the sport when times were good. My fear is the 2012 Olympics will become another Wimbledon. Minus Kurnikova. We need to get those games consoles into Kenyan homes, and fast. :twisted:

Re: woe is me - GB 5th last in men´s long race team contest

Originally posted by runningscotsman
    We need to get those games consoles into Kenyan homes, and fast. :twisted:
    In China the cigarette companies are doing a good job of decraseing their athlete pool. Any chance we can get Phillip Morris to be more agressive in Kenya too?

But to be serious, computer feats (high score) over physical feats does appear to be the preference. My sisters solution was to buy a dog. That gets the kids outside, for now.

Comment

Hi Daisy, good idea, if anything it will keep your sister fit :lol:

Comment

Comment

That's exactly what I told her! :P

Comment

It sounds worse than it is (and to be honest I couldn't really care less). Only 20 'teams' finished. France, Germany, Russia, Ukraine, Korea, Spain, etc, were all absent from the long course. Many nations now are chickening out of the WXCh because standards are so high. At least Britain entered a team, which is something.

The women performed much better, of course. Seventh in the long course team race, fifth in the junior team. And 17-year-old Sian Edwards finished a very respectable 10th in the junior women's race - the highest placing by a European-born athlete from the whole champs.

Comment

Originally posted by Jon
              The women performed much better, of course. Seventh in the long course team race, fifth in the junior team. And 17-year-old Sian Edwards finished a very respectable 10th in the junior women's race - the highest placing by a European-born athlete from the whole champs.
              I noticed Edwards' performance. It's very rare for a European runner nowadays to finish as high as this in the junior race. But, as for being the best European in the whole champs, you have to keep in mind a few runners of European descent (Adam Goucher, Benita Johnson, Craig Mottram) finished higher in the other races.
              Było smaszno, a jaszmije smukwijne...

Comment

Originally posted by Powell
                Originally posted by Jon
                I noticed Edwards' performance. It's very rare for a European runner nowadays to finish as high as this in the junior race. But, as for being the best European in the whole champs, you have to keep in mind a few runners of European descent (Adam Goucher, Benita Johnson, Craig Mottram) finished higher in the other races.
                Yes, but Edwards is much more pale than all of those, so her performance ranks higher
                :P :wink:

As an aside, at the last World Cross, Edwards finished 14 places (and 30 seconds) behind Emily Pidgeon. At the Euro Cross, Edwards finished 13 places (and 30 seconds) behind Emily Pidgeon. It would have been interesting to see where Emily would have placed in that race - she may have been within sniffing distance of a medal.

Comment

Originally posted by Jon
                  Yes, but Edwards is much more pale than all of those, so her performance ranks higher :P :wink:
                  Can't argue with that logic ops:

Comment

yes, funnily enough British women are hanging in there, can´t moan about that, and, as mentioned, the talent´s trickling through. Maybe it´s got to do the cultural male-female divide when it comes to games consoles etc. :?: I´m stumped to be honest :?

Comment

Re: woe is me - GB 5th last in men´s long race team contest

Having watched UK athletics slump from bad to worse, and hoped, this is just too much to bear. 16th and 5th last in the team contest ahead of Canada, Botswana, Chile and Egypt
                      does botswana even exist anymore as an independent country ?

didn't it get incorporated into south africa a few years ago ?

or coudn't the south africans even be bothered to take-over a country consisting of 1/2 a dozen goat-herders & a coupla 3 legged dogs ?

Comment

Actually, Botswana went from being one of the poorest countries in Africa to being one of the richer ones in the last 25 years. And they won a medal in this year's WIC

Comment

And they won a medal in this year's WIC
                          ehh ???

since when did goat-herding become a track-&-field sport ? :shock:

Comment

Originally posted by eldrick
                            ehh ???

Where are the great UK milers?

Comment

Originally posted by eldrick
                              ehh ???

http://www.iaaf.org/WIC06/results/gende ... index.html

Comment

Working...
                              X