X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by gh View Post
    today's newer version, with the two Chinese fixtures leading off:

https://worldathletics.org/competiti...ts?season=2023
    What are the chances that those two meets in China will be actually held as scheduled?

Comment

Originally posted by TN1965 View Post

What are the chances that those two meets in China will be actually held as scheduled?
      Chorzรณw awaits!

Comment

I think Diamond League Final must be in Monfcj

Comment

Monaco

Comment

Hopefully McLaughlin will run, seeing as it's in her home country. She's only run outside the US once in non Championship races in the last 3 years...

Comment

Originally posted by Wiederganger View Post
              Hopefully McLaughlin will run, seeing as it's in her home country. She's only run outside the US once in non Championship races in the last 3 years...
              Well, that is one more race than Bol has run outside of Europe in non-championship meets in the last three years. ๐Ÿ˜

Comment

Originally posted by Davidokun View Post

Well, that is one more race than Bol has run outside of Europe in non-championship meets in the last three years. ๐Ÿ˜
                It's not Bol's fault that there are few non-championship elite meets worth traveling 1000's of miles for in the US after June!
                Bol has almost TOO many racing opportunities available in Europe after June!!
                McLaughlin-Levrone has no recourse but to travel overseas if she wants quality races during the summer!
                The only solution is to have many more good meets here during the summer!

Comment

Originally posted by aaronk View Post
                  It's not Bol's fault that there are few non-championship elite meets worth traveling 1000's of miles for in the US after June!
                  Bol has almost TOO many racing opportunities available in Europe after June!!
                  McLaughlin-Levrone has no recourse but to travel overseas if she wants quality races during the summer!
                  The only solution is to have many more good meets here during the summer!
                  Logical Fallacy - assuming 'summer meets' (other than Championships) are a goal unto themselves.
                  Our domestic outdoor season starts in MARCH with the Tex Relays, then the Fla Relays, then Mt Sac then Drake, Penn, sequing into the USTSF Journey to Gold meets, the ATL meets and the many other QULITY meets that exist in the lead-up to a third week in JUNE USATF. Then, the season is largely over. The Euro Circuit is largely June-Sept, which, of course, 98% of our athletes do NOT partake in.
                  If Euro stars wish to compete against our best, they are more than welcome to show up in our season and see what our top athletes are dealing with over a year. Even the Antipodeans take a break from April to June.

Comment

Originally posted by Wiederganger View Post
                    She does not have to run any "qualifying" race. If she doesn't qualify, she will be given the wild card. Whether she take that is another question

Comment

Originally posted by Atticus View Post
                      Logical Fallacy - assuming 'summer meets' (other than Championships) are a goal unto themselves.
                      Our domestic outdoor season starts in MARCH with the Tex Relays, then the Fla Relays, then Mt Sac then Drake, Penn, sequing into the USTSF Journey to Gold meets, the ATL meets and the many other QULITY meets that exist in the lead-up to a third week in JUNE USATF. Then, the season is largely over. The Euro Circuit is largely June-Sept, which, of course, 98% of our athletes do NOT partake in.
                      If Euro stars wish to compete against our best, they are more than welcome to show up in our season and see what our top athletes are dealing with over a year. Even the Antipodeans take a break from April to June.
                      You just outlined the problem!
                      Euros don't come here in March through May (except when Pre is in late May) because THEIR season doesn't begin that early!
                      WE don't go to Europe in the summer because we compete at home for 3 months before the Euro season revs up!
                      The only exceptions in recent years have been the "US vs the World"---or whatever it's called---at Penn & Drake!

ADD: Western Hemisphere athletes (Jamaicans, Canadians, etc) don't compete here much if they see better competition in Europe---such as SAFP & Bolt in his day!
                      Some "foreigners" compete here, but they're either living and/or training here---such as KoKo!
                      Last edited by aaronk; 09-20-2022, 11:51 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by aaronk View Post
                        You just outlined the problem!!
                        I don't see it as a problem for one simple reason - it highlights the WC/OG for what they should be - the one time everyone has to show up and showdown (did I just make that up?!).
                        If everyone had the same season and showed up at the same meets, the Global Meets would be anticlimactic. Which is the big reason we need the WC in the even years between OGs.

Comment

If everyone had the same season and showed up at the same meets, the Global Meets would be anticlimactic. Which is the big reason we need the WC in the even years between OGs.
                          I have never understood this logic. The more meets with the best of the best the better.

Comment

Originally posted by donley2 View Post
                            I have never understood this logic. The more meets with the best of the best the better.
                            It's called peaking. You can't be at your best from March to June, or June to September and certainly not from March to Sept (depending on event - Mondo's doing just fine). So while I want a full season of comps, I only need a 2/3 field of the very best at any one time, and they will be necessarily in differing shades of fitness. I love that the two biggest areas of talent (WHemi - EHemi) are on different schedules; it amps the suspense (and then there are the Chinese, who are, pardon the expression, inscrutable).

The sequence, for example, of

Relays/Invitationals
                            Conferences
                            Regionals (flawed as they are)
                            NCAA
                            USATF
                            1st half of Euro Circuit
                            WC/OG
                            2nd half of EC (yes, I do want more there!)

works great for me. The throwers do tend to show up for all the latter ones, the jumpers and distance types are sporadic and I even tolerate the sprinters ducking each other every now and then.

A circuit that somehow mandated appearances is counter-productive to my thinking. The prize money should be the lure. If you have plenty'o'money (Mondo and Syd spring (!) to mind), U do U.
                            Mondo loves to jump / Syd looks like she's passing a kidney stone after the finish (fine with me - get'er dun!!)

Comment

T and f is a summer sport June to September with its centre on the European continent. Dont see that changing any time soon.
                              Domination of the Europe meets in the world calendar will continue, as will elite American athletes travelling to Europe in Summer,and the latter has been taking place for decades.
                              The relays in April is an American peculiar and not part of the main athletics scene. Wrong time of year for too many athletes inside and outside USA.
                              DL is an improvement on the invitatation meets of yesteryear, for me.If American elite athletes have to travel long distances for high level competitions that is the way it always was,is and will, as i see it, continue .
                              Seriously, who in the USA is interested in t and f as a spectator sport; i keep reading that interest is largely dead.Saw that in Eugene, i believe.
                              If certain quality athletes are disinterested in travelling outside your country that is sad, but not serious.
                              Good job top athletes throughout the globe do not necessarily feel the same, otherwise the sport goes backwards.

Comment

Such a US Isolationist view ๐Ÿ˜ You are ONE country; Europe, with all of it's meetings, is MANY countries. You cannot compare the US to a whole continent, no mater how great you think you are. Oh, the DL also stretches to other continents ya know...

I'm just trying to see where McLaughlin ran in all those great domestic meets you mention...I can see Penn this year (a bronze/Cat C meet) and a silver/B meet (just the 2 meets before the NC's..)... last year I can see two Cat A/gold meets, and 3 Category F meetings, the lowest meeting category, with just the one bronze/Cat C meet in her primary event.

Why would Bol et al want to travel to the US in March/April/May to run in Cat F and C meetings, when they can run in QUALITY meetings with much higher categorisations, and knowledgeable, enthusiastic crowds, and also get more ranking points (and probably more money...I know y'all are obsessed with money)?

Comment

Working...
                                X