Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by NotDutra5 View Post
    Lets not forget however that as soon as Bol improves her technique and gets faster over the flat she'll be running right by everyone including McLaughlin over the hurdles.
    That 'as soon as' should be an 'if', (a big if if Bol doesn't decrease her steps between hurdles, which is no piece of cake) and your conclusion assumes McLaughlin either plateaus or regresses. Barring injury that's unlikely for a while.

Comment

Originally posted by ATK View Post
      I would argue the opposite is true. Sparsely running lends to both the mystique and popularity (any McLaughlin sighting now becomes a bigger deal) and she probably has more opportunities to work on things outside of the track world.
      This is good for her business. But not for the business of track & field. Bol raced SML only twice so far. In comparison, she has raced Muhammad and Clayton six times each, eight times against Little and nine times against Russell.

Comment

I think these are all pretty good points as far as AOY would go. That also doesn't mean those arguing that maybe, as a for instance, SML's focus on a couple of meets over many many meets in some cases is a better plan for winning championships and/or running as fast as possible are incorrect.
        I'm only arguing on the AOY aspect. Having a sparse season may indeed be the best strategy for her maximizing her finances and/or her chances of winning world championships, but AOY isn't about who makes the most money or only about who wins the world championship gold.

If she wants to maximize her money, the money is its own reward. If she wants to win a global gold medal, that's also its own reward. But if she wanted to be AOY (she probably doesn't care), she could have and should have done more but didn't.

Comment

Originally posted by bad hammy View Post

That 'as soon as' should be an 'if', (a big if if Bol doesn't decrease her steps between hurdles, which is no piece of cake) and your conclusion assumes McLaughlin either plateaus or regresses. Barring injury that's unlikely for a while.
          My conclusion was a whole lotta facetiousness.

Comment

My conclusion was a whole lotta facetiousness.
            Ah, you got me - the old 'facetious post' trick!

In my opinion, as long as McLaughlin is running the 400h, Bol's best chance for a WC/Oly gold is in the flat 400.

An administrative Q: what's the over/under on how long before gh moves these McLaughlin/Bol posts to the Women's AOY thread?
            Last edited by bad hammy; 09-23-2022, 05:34 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by jazzcyclist View Post

I agree with this. I would rank Rojas and Kipyegon ahead of McLaughlin for AOY.
              Kipyegon ran in four meets (in the 1500). No WRs.

Comment

Originally posted by 18.99s View Post

I'm only arguing on the AOY aspect. Having a sparse season may indeed be the best strategy for her maximizing her finances and/or her chances of winning world championships, but AOY isn't about who makes the most money or only about who wins the world championship gold.

If she wants to maximize her money, the money is its own reward. If she wants to win a global gold medal, that's also its own reward. But if she wanted to be AOY (she probably doesn't care), she could have and should have done more but didn't.
                Though I agree with you here, Usain Bolt in 2016 disagrees with you.

Comment

Working...
                X