Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• U-20 WC

U-20 WC is scheduled for August 1-6. Does anybody know if anybody has TV or webcast coverage? I cannot find it at any of the usual suspects sites.
    "A beautiful theory killed by an ugly fact."
    by Thomas Henry Huxley

It will be on the World Athletics YouTube channel (all "WA Series" events are these days - e.g., World Relays, World XC Champs, World RW Team Champs etc).

If you're in country that isn't broadcasting or streaming it, those WA streams won't have geo-blocking.
    Last edited by LuckySpikes; 07-26-2022, 01:18 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by LuckySpikes View Post
      It will be on the World Athletics YouTube channel (all "WA Series" events are these days - e.g., World Relays, World XC Champs, World RW Team Champs etc).

If you're in country that isn't broadcasting or streaming it, those WA streams won't have geo-blocking.
      Thank you.
      "A beautiful theory killed by an ugly fact."
      by Thomas Henry Huxley

Comment

Has USATF even announced the team? They've been understandably focused on Eugene, but the U20 event starts in less than a week!

Comment

Yesterday I searched YouTube TV for upcoming track and field programming to tape. To my surprise there was a CNBC listing for the U20 Championships on August 6.

Maybe some type of highlight package recap. But it also might show up on Olympic Channel. CNBC often shows events that have already aired on Olympic Channel, whose listings are always late and last to show up in search results.

Comment

With the U-20 WC starting in Cali, Columbia, I had a look for a list of stadium records but couldn't find one, so started looking at some lists and found performances all marked with an A for altitude. I then looked at a map to see how high it was compared to Mexico City and found that the main stadium and the training venue both appear to be under 1000m as follows:

Estadio Pascual Guerrero 967m https://goo.gl/maps/KhYLHcGCS3LNQ4Hs6
            Estadio de Atletismo Pedro Grajales 962m https://goo.gl/maps/E139Z1BMTaaYMZwL6
            https://worldathletics.org/competiti...lympic-stadium

The centre of the old town does appear to be around 1010m and I'm wondeing if the A comes from the centre/townhall elevation rather than the stadium elevation? Can anybody confirm one way or the other?

For context, Cali is located in a river valley between the water roughly at 950m and directly adjacent mountains reaching to just under 1500m with some streets on the very outskirts heading into the mountains at around 1200m. The airport (CRO) is between the old city and the river and appears to be listed at 964m.
            Last edited by El Toro; 07-28-2022, 07:05 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by LuckySpikes View Post
              It will be on the World Athletics YouTube channel
              I'm sure those of us that live in Luxembourg will be able to see it on our YouTube channel (while watching Commonwealth Games on our TV).

Comment

Entry lists are available.
                https://www.worldathletics.org/compe...pionships-cali

Comment

None of the male HS sub-4's are there, nor the trio of female 800's (Gorriaran, Willis, Whittaker)!!
                  Would have loved to see at least one more race from them!!

Comment

Still no announcement from USATF, but as mentioned, the start lists are out, so you can see who has made the team. IT's pretty full team as best I can tell, with two entries in pretty much everything except for the odd distance event and a field event or two (plus men's walk). Not as many list leaders as in years past, although with a lot of 5,6,7,8 who could move up if the leaders made their marks back in April or so. Whitaker and Willis are there, so you must have missed that, Aaron.

Looking forward to seeing Shawnti Jackson, Bershawn's daughter. She apparently false started in the 200, which I didn't realize at the time, so just in the 100. Would love to see how she does in the 4x1 relay and if she'll run the 4x4 relay, since she has one of the top 400M times in the country as well as an underclassman.

Not sure about the rest, but also looking forward to seeing what the young heptathlete Gero-Holt does. I honestly thought she was too young to compete but I guess she made the cut being born in 2006.

We could see a USA one-two in the W800 and WPV. All the other events seem pretty evenly matched across the globe.

Internationally. could be a great competition between Topic and Bruus, and of course, some top East Africans in the distances. And Jamaica looks very strong in both men's and women's sprints, but with most of those marks coming months ago during High School Champs or Carifta, we'll see how they do.
                    Last edited by dupontred; 07-28-2022, 08:34 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by aaronk View Post
                      None of the male HS sub-4's are there, nor the trio of female 800's (Gorriaran, Willis, Whittaker)!!
                      Would have loved to see at least one more race from them!!
                      The m1500 entrants both were college frosh in 2021.

Willis and Whittaker are entered in the w800

Comment

Originally posted by dupontred View Post
                        Still no announcement from USATF, but as mentioned, the start lists are out, so you can see who has made the team. IT's pretty full team as best I can tell, with two entries in pretty much everything except for the odd distance event and a field event or two (plus men's walk). Not as many list leaders as in years past, although with a lot of 5,6,7,8 who could move up if the leaders made their marks back in April or so. Whitaker and Willis are there, so you must have missed that, Aaron.

Looking forward to seeing Shawnti Jackson, Bershawn's daughter. She apparently false started in the 200, which I didn't realize at the time, so just in the 100. Would love to see how she does in the 4x1 relay and if she'll run the 4x4 relay, since she has one of the top 400M times in the country as well as an underclassman.

Not sure about the rest, but also looking forward to seeing what the young heptathlete Gero-Holt does. I honestly thought she was too young to compete but I guess she made the cut being born in 2006.

We could see a USA one-two in the W800 and WPV. All the other events seem pretty evenly matched across the globe.

Internationally. could be a great competition between Topic and Bruus, and of course, some top East Africans in the distances. And Jamaica looks very strong in both men's and women's sprints, but with most of those marks coming months ago during High School Champs or Carifta, we'll see how they do.
                        Stupid me!!!
                        I stopped after the US men's list, thinking that was BOTH sexes--not seeing they were all MALE names!!
                        This time, I continued scrolling to the women's list!!
                        Thanks!!

Comment

One of the interesting athlete is the heptathlete Jaicieonna Gero-Holt for two reasons.

First she is two-three years younger than her competitors and one of the youngest in the WC, born in December 2006.

Second is her PBs, while she is unlikely to threat the medal this time around she has some very good PBs that will not shame collegiate athletes.

HJ - 1.81
                          SP - 12.04
                          LJ - 5.62
                          JT - 39.21 (128' 8)

Her running events are really poor, but if she can improve them over the next few years, she can be the new Anna Hall.

AaronK - you better watch for this young talent as she may shake tour record books in the years to come.

Comment

Originally posted by olorin View Post
                            One of the interesting athlete is the heptathlete Jaicieonna Gero-Holt for two reasons.

First she is two-three years younger than her competitors and one of the youngest in the WC, born in December 2006.

Second is her PBs, while she is unlikely to threat the medal this time around she has some very good PBs that will not shame collegiate athletes.

HJ - 1.81
                            SP - 12.04
                            LJ - 5.62
                            JT - 39.21 (128' 8)

Her running events are really poor, but if she can improve them over the next few years, she can be the new Anna Hall.

AaronK - you better watch for this young talent as she may shake tour record books in the years to come.
                            Thanks, but I already am watching her!
                            Look at the thread when she did that 5401 (USATF Jrs?), and you'll see how much I wrote about her, and how excited I was!
                            Her 5401 smashed her own Frosh Class Record by 293 points---and the previous mark (5108 by her a bit earlier) had broken the previous record by over 200 points, or close to it!
                            I also wrote about her in my blog at the time!

Comment

Mark Butler's fantastic stats book for Cali22 is at https://assets.aws.worldathletics.or...2f11c32821.pdf

While we are all pontificating about things T&F, Mr. Butler is working away on stats tomes that are simply indispensable.

Comment

Working...
                              X