• Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by wamego relays champ View Post
    Did not watch it, but I assume there was no showboating in the m200 Final:

1 ISR Blessing Akawasi AFRIFAH 19.96 CR
    2 BOT Letsile TEBOGO 19.96 CR
    3 AUS Calab LAW 20.48
    Here is the race video.

Afrifah surprises Tebogo to win 200m gold in 19.96 | World Athletics U20 Championships Cali 2022 - YouTube

Comment

• So many track meets. Am I misremembering or did some races at Cali use non-electric blocks?

Comment

• Was very disappointed with the M4x100 heat this morning. AUS running quick and well ahead of the field - including the US - when Aidan Murphy took off too early and ruined any chance of a legal handover.

The boys had looked likely to smash the national record - and with 200m bronze medallist Calab Law likely to come into the team for the final - they might have gone even faster.

Australia has had some bad luck in this championships. We usually manage a bunch of medals, but it may be lean pickings in Cali.

Comment

• Originally posted by cladthin View Post

No testing or lack of pressure sensitive blocks, perhaps.
          If you look at the video https://youtu.be/ks9f1r6tMpk you can see that the blocks are not wired and there's no apparent apparatus just the basic blocks.

Timing was by Delta Timing who appear to use FinishLynx timing systems and here's what FinishLynx's false start system looks like: https://www.finishlynx.com/product/r...aining-system/

HOWEVER, all that seems irrelevant as the requirement for false start systems seems to be only a requirement for performances under Rules 32 and 34:

For performances up to and including 400m (including 4 × 200m and 4 × 400m) under
          Rules 32 and 34 of the Competition Rules, starting blocks linked to a World Athletics
          certified Start Information System under Rule 15.2 of the Technical Rules must have been
          used and have functioned correctly so that reaction times were obtained and are shown
          on the results of the event
          If we look for Rules 32 and 34 we find that those rules only cover WR and WIR not the U20 versions.
          • Rule 32 specifies events with World Records
          • Rule 33 specifies events with World U20 Records
          • Rule 34 specifies events with World Indoor Records
          • Rule 35 specifies events with World U20 Indoor Records
          Assuming I'm correct then it would have to be for any of the other requirements not met such as zero gun test, correct drug testing protocols, facility certification, submission process etc, etc.

Comment

• Originally posted by RvW View Post

Elsewhere I wrote already (in Dutch) on this confusing judgement in Cali. https://www.facebook.com/groups/4245...1270450260086/
            a justified protest.
            They are not taking a consistent decision on where the line need to be positioned and making decisions in order 0.001 difference.
            1. Seedo vs Jackson (100m f) -> now corrected
            2. Kilinski vs Boyes (800m h7) -> corrected by themselves, but even I can see a small difference here with the naked eye. This must now be an emotional decision.
            3. Boonson vs Richardson (100m f) -> should be corrected. At least both bronze.
            4. Yanagita vs Colbert (100m f) -> Yanagita should never be positioned before Colbert, wrong placing of the line.

As always small countries with not enough expertise are in disadvantage in such situations. It is now very late, but
            I am still pissed off that Britany Anderson was given silver in Tampere instead of joint Gold with Tia Jones in the 100m hurdles even though their time was the same down to the thousandths
            why don't people pronounce vowels anymore

Comment

• Originally posted by El Toro View Post
              Assuming I'm correct then it would have to be for any of the other requirements not met such as zero gun test, correct drug testing protocols, facility certification, submission process etc, etc.
              I wonder which it is?

Comment

If you look at the video https://youtu.be/ks9f1r6tMpk you can see that the blocks are not wired and there's no apparent apparatus just the basic blocks.

Timing was by Delta Timing who appear to use FinishLynx timing systems and here's what FinishLynx's false start system looks like: https://www.finishlynx.com/product/r...aining-system/

HOWEVER, all that seems irrelevant as the requirement for false start systems seems to be only a requirement for performances under Rules 32 and 34:

If we look for Rules 32 and 34 we find that those rules only cover WR and WIR not the U20 versions.
                • Rule 32 specifies events with World Records
                • Rule 33 specifies events with World U20 Records
                • Rule 34 specifies events with World Indoor Records
                • Rule 35 specifies events with World U20 Indoor Records
                I know that a zero gun test is necessary for a World U20 record as there has been more than one example of its absence stopping ratification (e.g Jeffery Demps a few years back, Tebogo earlier this year).

Comment

• Originally posted by Trickstat View Post

I know that a zero gun test is necessary for a World U20 record as there has been more than one example of its absence stopping ratification (e.g Jeffery Demps a few years back, Tebogo earlier this year).
                  Delta Timing seems to be very experienced so it's not likely but still possible.

Drug testing is more likely because it has to be planned, and money allocated, ahead of time. It's hard to fault LSU for not knowing that a high school student at an early season college invitational would run such a huge U20 WR, even knowing his talent.

Knighton might have even been more surprised! Has anybody seen him comment on what he expected before the meet?

Comment

• Originally posted by aaronk View Post
                    Never said she was!!
                    Nor is any other athlete!
                    But when you shatter the Frosh Class Record by 293 points AFTER you already shattered the OLD Frosh Class Record by well over 200 points, it's not that weird to think she can at least score that 5400 again just 5 or 6 weeks later!
                    It's likely that trying to do a third all-out Hept in less than 10 weeks finally caught up to her!
                    I wasn't complaining---just hoping she'd do better!!
                    You wrote that her performance was not good, when compared with her PB. On the contrary, I think she performed quite well in Cali, especially considering:
                    • her youth
                    • the length of her season (indoor: 3 competitions in 2 months, outdoor: 13 competitions in 5 months)
                    • her inexperience in the event (as far as I know, this was only her fourth heptathlon ever)
                    • her complete lack of previous experience in international competition
                    Despite it all, she still scored within four percent of her PB. Your unrealistic expectation that athletes will always perform at their peak is doomed to disappointment.

By the way, given that individuals mature at different rates, arbitrary class and age records are insignificant.

Comment

• Originally posted by lonewolf View Post
                      So many track meets. Am I misremembering or did some races at Cali use non-electric blocks?
                      That was regarding Knighton's 19.49 in Baton Rouge, not the World U20 Championships in Cali.

Comment

• Originally posted by Davidokun View Post

You wrote that her performance was not good, when compared with her PB. On the contrary, I think she performed quite well in Cali, especially considering:
                        • her youth
                        • the length of her season (indoor: 3 competitions in 2 months, outdoor: 13 competitions in 5 months)
                        • her inexperience in the event (as far as I know, this was only her fourth heptathlon ever)
                        • her complete lack of previous experience in international competition
                        Despite it all, she still scored within four percent of her PB. Your unrealistic expectation that athletes will always perform at their peak is doomed to disappointment.

By the way, given that individuals mature at different rates, arbitrary class and age records are insignificant.
                        From across the pond, I expect that it is very rare for a 15 year old US high schooler to compete at all at T&F in August?

Comment

Knighton might have even been more surprised! Has anybody seen him comment on what he expected before the meet?
                          When Knighton in this interview got asked about how surprised he was by the 19.49 he said that he thought that he was going to run something like 19.7. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g6QGlPSZqUc

That interview took place ahead of his 100m appearance at Pre and it is interesting to note that Knighton´s second (19.69), third (19.77) and forth (19.80) best 200m results of this season so far have been very close to 19.7.
                          Last edited by Batis; 08-05-2022, 12:57 PM.

Comment

From across the pond, I expect that it is very rare for a 15 year old US high schooler to compete at all at T&F in August?
                            Not that uncommon, we do have summer track here.
                            In fact, the AAU Junior Olympics are running right now:
                            https://results.flashresults.com/202.../index_fri.htm

Comment

• lol - 2 in the first 3 of the girl's walk being given a third red card in the last lap but neither going.to the sin-bin

the 2 remaining leaders actually sprint up the home straight...

Comment

That would be correct. Here in Florida, school for the fall returns over the next week and this would be a down time for all but the XC athletes. The expectations of some are simply over the top.

Comment

Working...
                                X