Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jamaica having a really good champs. They may win more medals than the US and more golds. Kenya and Ethiopia will make it a tight four way race at the top as well around 15 medals. US aren’t having their worst meet ever, but just slightly below standards, especially on the mens sprint side.

Comment

• Originally posted by dupontred View Post
      US aren’t having their worst meet ever, but just slightly below standards, especially on the mens sprint side.
      An 'average' showing for us in this meet, for the last few, is pretty dismal, when you look at the USA U20 lists here:

https://worldathletics.org/records/t...sultsOnly=true

Comment

• These are our competitive U20 SLs

Men
        100 10.04
        200 19.49
        400 44.93
        800 1:45.0
        1500 3:36
        110H 13.27 (39)
        400H 50.21
        HJ 2.24
        PV 5.42
        LJ 8.06
        SP 20.72 (JI)
        HT 75.08
        JT 72.54

Women
        100 10.83
        200 22.62
        400 51.98
        800 1:59.0
        1500 4:11
        100H 13.05
        400H 56.16
        HJ 1.84
        PV 4.51
        LJ 6.82
        HT 65.80
        Hep 5518

There's more to winning than putting up numbers in the spring, but we sure don't sell this meet at the grassroots level.

Comment

• Originally posted by Atticus View Post
          These are our competitive U20 SLs

Men
          100 10.04 - Knighton, wasn't ever doing U20
          200 19.49 - see above
          400 44.93 - in the meet
          800 1:45.0 - wrong Brandon Miller; 800 guy was 2002 DOB; Flatt next best, gambled on seniors and lost
          1500 3:36 - Kessler? Yeah, sure...
          110H 13.27 (39) - on team
          400H 50.21 - next two guys on team
          HJ 2.24 - ace hoops player, no way
          PV 5.42 - on team
          LJ 8.06 - on team
          TJ you forgot
          SP 20.72 (JI) - on team
          DT you forgot
          HT 75.08 - on team
          JT 72.54 - not an eligible mark, Davis is a 2001 DOB; US best is on team

Women
          100 10.83 - Davis, see Knighton above
          200 22.62 - Davis, see above
          400 51.98 - on team
          800 1:59.03 - on team
          1500 4:11 - on team
          100H 13.05 - on team
          400H 56.16 - on team
          HJ 1.84 - on team in hept
          PV 4.51 - on team
          LJ 6.82 - who? No 6.82 U20s 'round here
          TJ -
          SP - on team
          DT - on team
          HT 65.80 - chose not to go
          JT - # 3 is on team
          Hep 5518 -

There's more to winning than putting up numbers in the spring, but we sure don't sell this meet at the grassroots level.
          There are not many realistic team members who aren't in Cali

Comment

• Originally posted by ZazaShoya View Post

I would not give this sole result too much importance. Jerusalem was obviously a (couple of) day off for Bruus and it seems she's been gaining power lately : first time over 1.90 outdoors a few days after then the monstrous Eugene campaign with 1.93 PB in the Q and 1.96 PB =WJR in the final.
            There is no potential gap between them anymore and Bruus knows she can jump at least as high as Topić, which is mentally pivotal. But as you said, paradoxically, the direct adversity could be harder to overcome than all the great names she had to face in Eugene, as she was more in contention with herself.
            No Göring but 19 y.o Britt Weerman is there, with a fresh 1.95 PB and I remember her title in Talllinn last year was a bit of a surprise, so a championship athlete.
            Well, that aged well for me. Bruus actually got the scalp of both Topić and Weerman.

Comment

• Disastrous broadcasting of the field events, once again. Always catching up late. That's somehow acceptable for the throws and horizontal jumps, as you can't foresee which jump/throw will be worth showing, fort the vertical jumps though ...
              We now miss a WR (WB) attempt because we're busy watching the winning throw of the DT which ended like half an hour ago.

Comment

• Shawnti Jackson's split?

Comment

• Originally posted by Juicy News View Post
                  Shawnti Jackson's split?

EDIT: Nice of them to finally publish some splits... 51.36 "officially"
                  Last edited by gm; 08-07-2022, 03:31 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by dupontred View Post
                    Jamaica having a really good champs. They may win more medals than the US and more golds.
                    They got more medals than the US, but not more golds. Final medal standings, top 10:

U20-finalmedals.png

Comment

• Originally posted by 18.99s View Post

They got more medals than the US, but not more golds. Final medal standings, top 10:

U20-finalmedals.png
                      /begin rant Jamaican coaches made a huge error in the men 4x400m by not including Roshawn Clarke who was on his way to gold in the 400m hurdles until after slipping all over the place hit hurdle 9 hard and still came third close to his PB of 49.35 set in the semis. He was on his way to likely break Jaheel Hyde's NU20R. He would have been a much better choice as lead off. Our lead off has a PB of 46.7 but has not run faster than 47.60 this year. Clarke would likely have given us a 46 low 45 high leg. Leadoff was probably a high 48. Given Kennedy's storming leg we would have had a chance to win. Just my humbe(ish) opinion 😂 😂 😂 /rant over
                      why don't people pronounce vowels anymore

Comment

• Originally posted by sprintdoc View Post
                        US 4x1’s EMBARRASSED again. Who makes such bone headed decisions? US ran Autumn Wilson 2nd and she was late leaving and almost passed by Jayla Jamison. Then she is dying (baton time line to line was 11.15) and Iyana Gray almost runs away from her. Shawnti Jackson takes 3 steps and gets baton and then switches hands immediately. Who does that at this level? But running a rolling start split of 11.15 and leaving a 100m and 200m finalist off the squad that ran several 10.1/2 anchors all year is inexcusable. Wilson was only measurably faster in the trial on Thursday so making the call to use her is a head scratcher. I see Carmelita Jeter is women’s sprint coach so she must be trying to recruit Wilson away from the old USC coach now at Georgia where Wilson is headed.

But of course the men’s crew was even worse. Across the line 3rd in trial and 4th in final but DQ’s result in their being 8th best into final and stealing an ugly bronze after South Africa DQ. Ran guys in final in different spots than in trial. That’s poor coaching and I thought that USATF had invested in full-time relay coaches for US teams but watching Canada whip the US team that had swept the 100 days earlier in Eugene and now this mess makes he wonder who could possibly screw this up so bad? Probably different coaches for the team in Eugene than U20 but still total incompetence.
                        Shit like that pisses me off everytime it happens. *cough* W4x1 Eugene *cough* I mean you are being paid to do a job just set the team up for its best chance of success
                        why don't people pronounce vowels anymore

Comment

• Originally posted by Vault-emort View Post

And women - even U16 women - should all throw/hurdle senior men's standards....

God only knows why..
                          Actually I've been wondering if any elite women have tried throwing men's implements and if so how far do they throw? Just out of curiosity...hurdles are different though as average height is much more of a factor there.

Comment

• Originally posted by ZazaShoya View Post

Well, that aged well for me. Bruus actually got the scalp of both Topić and Weerman.
                            Bruus & Topic are both eligible for the U20 Championships in 2024 as well. However, if they're making a serious impact in the senior ranks by then, it might be a bit "beneath them".

Really enjoyed that last session including the crazy "tactics" in the distance races. Firstly, the 2 Kenyan girls covering the first lap of the 5000 at 13:20 pace! Rather unsurprisingly, they both really paid for it and finished north of 16:29. Then, in the Men's Steeple the Japanese lad clearly hadn't been taking note of that race and belted off at an insane pace too.

What the hell happened to Noah Kibet in the 800? He's a winner on the Diamond League ...

15 year-old Sharifa Davranova (UZB) won the Women's TJ with 14.04. One to watch! However, a few years ago Alexsandra Nacheva was jumping slightly further at 16yo but hasn't progressed since.

Comment

• Originally posted by DentyCracker View Post

Shit like that pisses me off everytime it happens. *cough* W4x1 Eugene *cough* I mean you are being paid to do a job just set the team up for its best chance of success
                              Maybe there were some extenuating circumstances that none of you might know about?

It's easy to be armchair experts.

Comment

• Originally posted by xw View Post

Actually I've been wondering if any elite women have tried throwing men's implements and if so how far do they throw?
                                I remember reading back in the 89s that an East German (Wyludda?) had thrown the men's discus but can't recall what distance. At the time I thought it was quite impressive though.

Comment

Working...
                                X