Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Australia didn't have a particularly great meet with some bad luck in a few events. But I guess we can celebrate the bronze won by Boras in the TJ. First-ever medal internationally in this event for an Aussie female.

Comment

• Originally posted by LuckySpikes View Post
      15 year-old Sharifa Davranova (UZB) won the Women's TJ with 14.04. One to watch! However, a few years ago Alexsandra Nacheva was jumping slightly further at 16yo but hasn't progressed since.
      Youngest gold medalist ever?

Comment

• Amusing anecdote - in the official startlist and result sheets for the women's 4x4, it lists the yearly U20WL as 3:25.xx by an American team at Mt SAC. This was a team that included Dalilah Muhammad and Alison Felix, both in their 30s. A data entry error of some sort that has survived for the better part of a season.
        Also interesting that the mark does not appear on the yearly or all-time lists that are found on the same page.

Comment

• Originally posted by xw View Post

Youngest gold medalist ever?
          Wang Yan (w5000 race walk) in 1986 was 15y78d

Comment

• Originally posted by ZazaShoya View Post

Well, that aged well for me. Bruus actually got the scalp of both Topić and Weerman.
            Once it reached the final 3 I expected Weerman to prevail. And it would have played out that way if not for Bruus' clearance on her final try at 1.95. The 19 year old should have a strength and explosiveness edge over two 17 year olds. I've seen that all my life in high jump. And same thing at long jump, where the U20 winning number was considerably longer that the recent U18 European winning mark.

The coverage was disappointing. They broke away for the men's steeplechase and never interrupted to show the crucial high jump attempts midway during the race. But I could follow the particulars and the outcome simply by looking at the board on the infield during the steeplechase. It showed Topic in second place while making her second attempt at 1.95. Weerman was listed in first place. That meant it was simple to piece together...all 3 had cleared 1.93 but Weerman had done so on an earlier attempt than the other two.

They had plenty of time following the steeplechase to show us al of the attempts at 1.93 and 1.95. But they decided to show only the handful of successful attempts. It felt like such a waste compared to coverage of other events including men's high jump the other night.

Topic looked prissy and pissed on the medal stand. She may have been the only medalist all week who barely pretended to look happy. At one point during the photo op with the medals she said, "Is that it?" because she clearly wanted it to be. She was ready to step down and get out of there.

This is the second straight year Topic has underachieved at this meet. She knows her father won't be happy and there will be serious work ahead. But I did detect one change that may account for the issues. Her approach to the bar is now at considerably higher speed than during world indoors or even at the recent European U18s. That will pay dividends down the road but may lead to timing issues now.

Comment

• Originally posted by Vault-emort View Post

I remember reading back in the 89s that an East German (Wyludda?) had thrown the men's discus but can't recall what distance. At the time I thought it was quite impressive though.
              I remember seeing a table of data with different weights for various events. My (possibly incorrect) recollection was in the 17m range in SP and low 50s in the DT.

They seemed reasonble when considering 22m+ and 70m+ with female implements. Developing males have broadly a 10m difference when overlapping 1.0>1.5>2.0kg from ~70>60>50m, with some more or less, depending on where they are with the balance of their technique/strength development.

Comment

• Originally posted by Vault-emort View Post
                Australia didn't have a particularly great meet with some bad luck in a few events. But I guess we can celebrate the bronze won by Boras in the TJ. First-ever medal internationally in this event for an Aussie female.
                First ever to get top 8 and thus 6 attempts in the final with the previous best final placing being 9th. First to clear 13m in a final. Longest AUS jump at U20 WC, surpassing the 13.26 (+1.3) by Aliyah Parker (Johnson) in qualifying at the 2014 version.

Future AUS NR holder, Nicole Mladenis only came 12th in 1994 jumping 12.94 (+3.5) in Q and 12.52 (+1.6) in the final. It will be interesting to see if Boras can become the second AUS jumper after Mladenis to make the IAAF alltime listing cutoff of 14.01m.

Comment

• Originally posted by gm View Post

Super impressive! Why is the 400 not her main event?

Comment

• Originally posted by Juicy News View Post
                    Shawnti Jackson's split?
                    From the revised results pdf (revised to add split times):
                    SB 1 UNITED STATES USA 5 0.203 3:28.06
                    973 Mekenze KELLEY 52.23 (2)
                    969 Shawnti JACKSON 51.36 (1) 1:43.59 (1)
                    960 Akala GARRETT 53.13 (3) 2:36.72 (1)
                    995 Roisin WILLIS 51.34 (1)

Comment

Wang Yan (w5000 race walk) in 1986 was 15y78d
                      A record that is now unlikely to be beaten as the rules now require athletes to be at least 16 by the end of the calendar year. I suppose there is a chance if they ever hold the Champs very early in the year.

Comment

• Shawnti Jackson's epic comeback.

Shawnti Jackson EPIC 52s 4x4 Comeback! - YouTube

Comment

Maybe there were some extenuating circumstances that none of you might know about?

It's easy to be armchair experts.
                          So got word from 3 people in Colombia that reason given was “inexperience” of the double finalist Mia Brahe-Pederson. But checking on-line results sites it appears that Miss Brahe-Peterson had run 21 4x1’s in the last year but the 4 finalists had totals of 8, 7, 2, 0. Heard real reason was good ole American USATF cronyism and that the relay decision maker was Mechelle Lewis Freeman who has close relationships with all 4 that she chose. One of my sources was on the staff and unaware of the decision and was stunned to hear the roster. Never before has a healthy finalist in 100 not run in the final for the US. One source said it was because Miss Brahe-Peterson is white. Now that would be a story.

And to the men’s lineup it was said that the changes were done to correct mistakes from the trial in putting guys who ran both in different spots. Well that’s exactly why the US continues to struggle when it shouldn’t in international championship relays. HIre a retired, experienced college coach whose relay teams had success and put an end to this madness. Former athletes are not experienced enough to make these decisions unless they are long-time coaches also.

Comment

• Your sources are obviously much better than mine.

Comment

• Originally posted by El Toro View Post

I remember seeing a table of data with different weights for various events. My (possibly incorrect) recollection was in the 17m range in SP and low 50s in the DT.

They seemed reasonble when considering 22m+ and 70m+ with female implements. Developing males have broadly a 10m difference when overlapping 1.0>1.5>2.0kg from ~70>60>50m, with some more or less, depending on where they are with the balance of their technique/strength development.
                              I vaguely remember reading something a few years ago where it was claimed that the women's DT record was worth about 48/49m with the 2Kg implement.

Comment

• Originally posted by Powell View Post
                                Here's what Tebogo himself said about his behavior (quoted on WA site):
                                He doesn't know that shaking a finger at somebody in the middle of a race is disrespect? Really?

Comment

Working...
                                X