Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by dupontred View Post
    Internationally. could be a great competition between Topic and Bruus
    It will be interesting to see how Bruus fares. She was totally non-competitive again Topic in the European U18 Championships last month...1.92 to 1.75. I watched that event. Topic remained calm and seemed to intimidate everybody except one girl, a German named Johanna Goring who had finished ahead of her in their only previous meeting, the European U20 last year. They are the same age. Goring was 4th to Topic 8th. I always keep an eye on that playground head to head aspect instead of personal bests. The pecking order realities tend to bring the principals to the front again.

Topic has been 1.90 or better 5 times to only once for Bruus. Goring has been 1.90 twice and with high 1.80s several times. I was surprised her name was not among the entries.

In an U20 event I could see one of the older teenagers surprising and disrupting the form chart above or alongside 17 year olds. That's the way it goes in this event where there tend to be distinct performance levels based on age and maturity. Topic, for example, was basically 1.70 two years ago before her growth spurt then dependably low 1.80s last year and now low to mid 1.90s.

Her father obviously is a former great, albeit with a doping suspension. He was World U20 champion in 1990, setting the amazing mark of 2.37 that still stands. The fact that he peaked so early is one reason I've been keeping an eye on his daughter toward potentially being a factor in Paris, which will be alongside her 19th birthday. Heck, she's already been 1.96 before her 17th birthday.

Comment

Originally posted by Awsi Dooger View Post

It will be interesting to see how Bruus fares. She was totally non-competitive again Topic in the European U18 Championships last month...1.92 to 1.75. I watched that event. Topic remained calm and seemed to intimidate everybody except one girl, a German named Johanna Goring who had finished ahead of her in their only previous meeting, the European U20 last year. They are the same age. Goring was 4th to Topic 8th. I always keep an eye on that playground head to head aspect instead of personal bests. The pecking order realities tend to bring the principals to the front again.

Topic has been 1.90 or better 5 times to only once for Bruus. Goring has been 1.90 twice and with high 1.80s several times. I was surprised her name was not among the entries.

In an U20 event I could see one of the older teenagers surprising and disrupting the form chart above or alongside 17 year olds. That's the way it goes in this event where there tend to be distinct performance levels based on age and maturity. Topic, for example, was basically 1.70 two years ago before her growth spurt then dependably low 1.80s last year and now low to mid 1.90s.
      I would not give this sole result too much importance. Jerusalem was obviously a (couple of) day off for Bruus and it seems she's been gaining power lately : first time over 1.90 outdoors a few days after then the monstrous Eugene campaign with 1.93 PB in the Q and 1.96 PB =WJR in the final.
      There is no potential gap between them anymore and Bruus knows she can jump at least as high as Topić, which is mentally pivotal. But as you said, paradoxically, the direct adversity could be harder to overcome than all the great names she had to face in Eugene, as she was more in contention with herself.
      No Göring but 19 y.o Britt Weerman is there, with a fresh 1.95 PB and I remember her title in Talllinn last year was a bit of a surprise, so a championship athlete.

Comment

Originally posted by gm View Post
        While we are all pontificating about things T&F, Mr. Butler is working away on stats tomes that are simply indispensable.
        Hey, my musings are timeless (get it?) !!

Comment

Tebogo announced he is going to Oregon
          https://twitter.com/Track_Gazette/st...K3PRog1cwgQBkw

Comment

Jon Mulkeen noted in his previews for WA that the US doesn’t have a team in the mixed relay. Anyone know why? Oversight? Intentional? Lack of qualifying time?

Comment

Originally posted by ZazaShoya View Post

I would not give this sole result too much importance. Jerusalem was obviously a (couple of) day off for Bruus and it seems she's been gaining power lately : first time over 1.90 outdoors a few days after then the monstrous Eugene campaign with 1.93 PB in the Q and 1.96 PB =WJR in the final.
              There is no potential gap between them anymore and Bruus knows she can jump at least as high as Topić, which is mentally pivotal. But as you said, paradoxically, the direct adversity could be harder to overcome than all the great names she had to face in Eugene, as she was more in contention with herself.
              I'm with you - Karmen Bruus has gone to a new level, even since Jerusalem, and, I think, the Eugene experience will have been invaluable for her big competition "chops". I'm expecting her to have a great battle with Topic in Cali and Bruus has every chance to take the gold medal home.

Comment

Jon Mulkeen noted in his previews for WA that the US doesn’t have a team in the mixed relay. Anyone know why? Oversight? Intentional? Lack of qualifying time?
                I may be wrong here but I don't think Under 20 champs tend to have qualifying times for relays.

Comment

Peacock is showing World U20 on the schedule, starting tomorrow morning.

Comment

Looks like Italia got a new able-body for the 4x100m in Faggin 10.25 (+0.2) at 18 years, not bad.

Comment

Tebogo is probably a lock, 10.00 CR breaks Gemili record.

Comment

Tebogo is sooo underrated, he has broken the world junior record in the 100m twice, yet in a poll on twitter between who would win in a 100m race between him and knighton. Majority chose knighton. Then, we have the 'third wheel' udodi Onwuzurike with pbs of 10.03 and 20.08. These juniors are wilding!

​​​​​

Comment

Boonson (16) proving, for those who needed proof, that he ain't no fluke and will be a strong contender for the 200 crown. Also Malaysian record for Fahmi (18), PB 10.28 -> 10.09. Not bad.
                          After the surprise title for Zohri in Tampere Southeast Asia is really showing off.

Comment

Originally posted by ZazaShoya View Post
                            Boonson (16) proving, for those who needed proof, that he ain't no fluke and will be a strong contender for the 200 crown. Also Malaysian record for Fahmi (18), PB 10.28 -> 10.09. Not bad.
                            After the surprise title for Zohri in Tampere Southeast Asia is really showing off.
                            Too bad Zohri disapeared from the face of earth, i welcome all this new countries in the play.

Comment

Zohri competed in Eugene. He got through the Preiliminary Round but went out in the heats proper. But yes, he hasn't really come on since that World U20 title.

Nelson Mandela is in the Men's 5000 final today! He's Kenyan though, not South African.

Should be a pretty hot race with 5 of them with sub-13:15 PBs. Four of those five placed in the Top 5 in Senior races on the World Cross Country Tour this winter, the fastest of them Addisu Yihune (ETH) with a 12:59 PB. He was the winner of the Campaccio XC in January and 2nd at Juan Muguerza in Elgoibar a few days later.

15 year-old Tsiyon Abebe (ETH) might win the Women's 3000, also today. She looks like the class of the field with her 8:44.8 at the Rabat DL in June.

Comment

USA in Heat 2

Screen Shot 2022-08-01 at 2.11.16 PM.png

Comment

Working...
                                X