Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oh great!

Comment

Per norm the mixed relay was the highlight. I thought the Americans looked good, until the final heat when I was absolutely stunned by the Indian team. In particular the female anchor Rupal looked superb. Very wiry strong for age 17. I think she could have gone quicker if not for pacing behind the leader for the first 150. In looking at her profile she doesn't seem to use a first name. It's merely Rupal. She's gone 52 her last 4 races so today was representative. The late strength also makes sense since she dabbles in 400 hurdles.

Tough to tell with India. I never know whether to be cynical or not. I know they are building a grass roots athletic program but they've also had doping issues including with juniors.

In men's 110 hurdles Matthew Sophia must have set some type of record by bashing three hurdles yet running 13.10. I never know what to make of that guy because he competes so seldom and I can never anticipate when. It would be very interesting to see him side by side with Holloway, given the flyer start. Sophia is not very tall and remains very low throughout. He almost looks like a male version of Amusan.

Comment

My leftover Peacock subscription month I bought for WC's is allowing me to stream the U20 Worlds from Cali (watching decathlon now). Are there any individuals to look out for as possibly being "break throughs" onto the world stage in the meet ?

Edit- Just realized there was another U20 Thread so I'll repost there-
        Last edited by DET59; 08-02-2022, 02:21 AM.

Comment

My leftover Peacock subscription month I bought for WC's is allowing me to stream the U20 Worlds from Cali (watching decathlon now). Are there any individuals to look out for as possibly being "break throughs" onto the world stage in the meet ?

Comment

Originally posted by ZazaShoya View Post
            Boonson (16) proving, for those who needed proof, that he ain't no fluke and will be a strong contender for the 200 crown. Also Malaysian record for Fahmi (18), PB 10.28 -> 10.09. Not bad.
            After the surprise title for Zohri in Tampere Southeast Asia is really showing off.
            If Boonson gets a more favourable wind in either the semifinal or the final it seems very likely that he can break the U-18 record of Schwartz during this meet and even if it does not happen here he does of course have another season in 2023 to try to break that record.

Comment

before getting overly excited about Cali sprint times (or too disappointed about distance marks), good idea to remember the track is at 968m of altitude. For all intents and purposes, (A)-category stuff

Comment

Anyone else just humming LL Cool J tune every time they read "Cali"?

Comment

Originally posted by AS View Post
                  Anyone else just humming LL Cool J tune every time they read "Cali"?
                  I don't think so

....but I may be wrong. First day coverage on Peacock was pretty decent. It's not often you get to see 16-19 year decathletes on TV live (as well as see six juniors score 4000-4276 first day points -I believe with junior implements) Tomorrow we find out which of those have learned to pole vault and throw a javelin.

Just for you:

I'm running track in Cali, Cali, Cali
                  I'm running track in Cali, hmm, I don't think so

Running track in Cali, styling, profiling
                  Growling, and smiling, while in the sun
                  The block are set in my main event
                  And it's fly, cause I'm sitting on a U20 record

Comment

Big props to the DETMeister for that dope rhymin'...

Comment

Originally posted by gh View Post
                      before getting overly excited about Cali sprint times (or too disappointed about distance marks), good idea to remember the track is at 968m of altitude. For all intents and purposes, (A)-category stuff
                      Useful reminder but Cali is not Mexico nor Nairobi. The Mureika simulation gives a 0.03 adjustment for the altitude, which is similar to a 0.7 tailwind at sea-level. The sprint performances are a bit aided but fairly close to what these athletes could do in less advantageous locations.

Comment

Originally posted by Awsi Dooger View Post

Her father obviously is a former great, albeit with a doping suspension. He was World U20 champion in 1990, setting the amazing mark of 2.37 that still stands. The fact that he peaked so early is one reason I've been keeping an eye on his daughter toward potentially being a factor in Paris, which will be alongside her 19th birthday.
                        He might have peaked early, but he also showed incredible longevity, with 2.31 at the age of 38 and 2.28 at 41! In fact he holds the world U20 record, as well as the 35+ and 40+ records.
                        Było smaszno, a jaszmije smukwijne...

Comment

Originally posted by Awsi Dooger View Post
                          In looking at her profile she doesn't seem to use a first name. It's merely Rupal.
                          I'm pretty sure it's actually first name. Quite a few Indians (and most Indonesians) don't have family names.
                          Było smaszno, a jaszmije smukwijne...

Comment

Originally posted by dupontred View Post
                            Jon Mulkeen noted in his previews for WA that the US doesn’t have a team in the mixed relay. Anyone know why? Oversight? Intentional? Lack of qualifying time?
                            They have a mixed relay, but no decathletes.
                            "A beautiful theory killed by an ugly fact."
                            by Thomas Henry Huxley

Comment

Originally posted by Pego View Post

They have a mixed relay, but no decathletes.
                              Yeah, no decathletes seemed strange.

Comment

Yeah, I had a colleague that was known as Desmarwansyah. Just plain Desmarwansyah.

Comment

Working...
                                X