Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Halfmiler2
    replied
    They showed the U20 meet on the Olympic Channel today and even showed the medal count at the end with the USA having the most Golds 7-6 but Jamaica edging the USA in total medals 16-15. The crowd seemed sparse.

Leave a comment:

• sprintdoc
    replied
    Originally posted by TN1965 View Post
    Hobbs would have been on the team if not for Covid. She was the highest US finisher in the 100m.

If Steiner was supposed to replace Terry instead of Hobbs in the final, Terry would have run the 2nd leg in the prelim. You don't move around the runners when you replace one runner. Or was the original plan to use Steiner in the anchor leg?
    Agree but US men’s relay coach Mike Marsh disagrees has he showed in men’s U20 4x1 trial then final. And in blowing the overwhelming edge the US men held in speed vs Canada in Eugene.

Leave a comment:

• TN1965
    replied
    Hobbs would have been on the team if not for Covid. She was the highest US finisher in the 100m.

If Steiner was supposed to replace Terry instead of Hobbs in the final, Terry would have run the 2nd leg in the prelim. You don't move around the runners when you replace one runner. Or was the original plan to use Steiner in the anchor leg?

Leave a comment:

• Jacksf
    replied
    I don't know if that's true, but there was even a stronger case for MBP, as she was a finalist in both the 100m and 200m at World U20 Championships.

She was also the silver medalist at both the 100m and 200m at US U20 Championships.
    You can't get much more deserving of a relay spot than that!
    Last edited by Jacksf; 08-11-2022, 06:17 PM.

Leave a comment:

• TN1965
    replied
    Originally posted by Jacksf View Post

True. There is no way to prove any relay ream will beat any other relay team until they race.
    But you can certainly expect some teams to beat others.

In any event, I think we can all agree that you give your relay team the best chance to run fast and win, when you put your best and fastest members on the team.
    In this case that didn't happen.
    It's the equivalent of leaving Abby Steiner off the US relay team at the World Championships.
    Steiner would have been off the team if Hobbs had not caught Covid.

Leave a comment:

• Atticus
    replied
    After the USA men swept the 100 (and 200) podium in Eugene, there was no way they were losing the 4x1.
    After the Jamaican women swept the 100, there was no way they were losing the 4x1.
    Just sayin'.

Leave a comment:

• Jacksf
    replied
    Originally posted by gm View Post

You have absolutely no way to prove that.
    True. There is no way to prove any relay ream will beat any other relay team until they race.

In any event, I think we can all agree that you give your relay team the best chance to run fast and win, when you put your best and fastest members on the team.
    In this case that didn't happen.
    It's the equivalent of leaving Abby Steiner off the US relay team at the World Championships.

Leave a comment:

• gm
    replied
    Originally posted by sprintdoc View Post

Jack does. A, look at the video link of that relay which is but 1 example of her running under 10.2. Then split the final at each of the lines that are clearly visible. With a fast incoming Jamison (11.33) Wilson starts slow but gets stick and then struggles to finish the exchange to Gray. Wilson runs a 11.13 then Gray runs 10.82 in the curve then Jackson anchors in 10.00. You can parse .01 or .02 per split but that’s damn close. Take off Wilson and insert MPB and you save a full second potentially but conservatively as Jack indicates at least significantly faster than the 4 that were trotted out there.
    I just read a whole lot of assumptions there. Assume if you like, but as I said, you absolutely can't prove that. Don't use the word "certainly" unless you can prove it.

Be nice if you would share your super-secret automatic splits from your drone in the stadium. We'd all like to see them

Leave a comment:

• Atticus
    replied
    Guess I'll have to turn in my Grumpy Old Curmudgeon card. I saw absolutely nothing wrong with what Tebogo did.
    Just the opposite. GOCs have their drawers in a bunch (and mine are riding up!); hipsters are the ones who think there was nothing wrong with that display of 'honest emotion'.
    You, sir, are NOT a hipster, so start acting your (advanced) age!

Leave a comment:

• Paced
    replied

What reply did you watch?!
    Just the ones from the broadcast, likely the same ones you saw. It was hard to tell whether it was at his opponent or the crowd, but his comments about trying to replicate Usain Bolt sways me towards the latter.

Originally posted by schigh View Post

Sorry, I'm not buying the whole playing to the crowd excuse. Personally, not a fan of the antics and looked pretty specific to me. Having said that, 9.91 in U20's is huge and would love to see him go much faster. Just don't get throwing away opportunities for great times.
    I don't disagree - I think it was corny and silly. Who knows when conditions will be as conducive to good sprint times as they were in Cali. However I'm not convinced it was directed at Nkrumie.

Leave a comment:

• sprintdoc
    replied

Jack does. A, look at the video link of that relay which is but 1 example of her running under 10.2. Then split the final at each of the lines that are clearly visible. With a fast incoming Jamison (11.33) Wilson starts slow but gets stick and then struggles to finish the exchange to Gray. Wilson runs a 11.13 then Gray runs 10.82 in the curve then Jackson anchors in 10.00. You can parse .01 or .02 per split but that’s damn close. Take off Wilson and insert MPB and you save a full second potentially but conservatively as Jack indicates at least significantly faster than the 4 that were trotted out there.

Leave a comment:

• Pego
    replied
    Originally posted by Atticus View Post
    She certainly does seem to be the next Mary Decker (or Athing Mu) in talent.
    She went to the same HS as Suzy Favor and Chris Solinsky (SPASH - Stevens Point Senior High).

Leave a comment:

• gm
    replied
    Well there can be some debate as to whether the USA would/could have won if Mia Brahe-Pedersen ran.
    But they most certainly would have run a faster time with her on the team.

And I think there is no debate that she should have been on the relay team.
    In fact, it's kind of outrageous that she wasn't on the relay.

Leave a comment:

• Jacksf
    replied
    Well there can be some debate as to whether the USA would/could have won if Mia Brahe-Pedersen ran.
    But they most certainly would have run a faster time with her on the team.

And I think there is no debate that she should have been on the relay team.
    In fact, it's kind of outrageous that she wasn't on the relay.

Leave a comment:

• gm
    replied
    Originally posted by sprintdoc View Post

Rolling start for an 11.09 sprinter. Easy.
    11.09w... legal best is 11.25

Leave a comment:

Working...
X