Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Laureus awards

Regarding the homepage link: 4 Tracksters Among Nominees For Laureus Award

It's actually 5 since Kajsa Bergqvist was also nominated in the "World Comeback of the Year" category.
    See the full list of nominees here.

Are these awards a big deal in Europe? I'd never heard of them until last year, and what I heard then certainly wasn't from the USAnian press.

NO big deal in Europe whatsoever. And too late to make it big.

Just another party... with minor interest (or less) from media and most of the athletes.

Comment

Sorry to say a lot of great athletes are member of "Laureus academy" .

Maybe they are just flattered to be memers of a supercommercial, exclusive group. Or maybe they are just ignorant and stupid. Unfortuanally this group make nothing FOR the sport. Maybe for golf, F1 and sailing ..but...who cares? But for the rest...NO!

Comment

It's got the chance to be big, at least in Europe.

Seem to want gravitas and ceremony, they do it well. But token minority sport nominations (and no offence to him or his sport, but biathlete Ole Einar Bjørndalen, for example) smacks of tokenism, and thus loses media credibility and/or interest, I think. Maybe a few more parites for the journos?

Wouldn't be many sporting scribes turn down a party in Monaco.

Comment

Originally posted by observer2
          Sorry to say a lot of great athletes are member of "Laureus academy" .

Maybe they are just flattered to be memers of a supercommercial, exclusive group. Or maybe they are just ignorant and stupid. Unfortuanally this group make nothing FOR the sport. Maybe for golf, F1 and sailing ..but...who cares? But for the rest...NO!
          Have you bothered to check what the Laureus foundation is actually doing?

http://www.laureus.com/foundation/proje ... chives.php

Comment

Originally posted by "jlAHave you bothered to check what the Laureus foundation is actually doing?[url
            http://www.laureus.com/foundation/projects/project_archives.php[/url]
            I hadn't, lazy, and thank you. Interesting stuff.

When I clicked on "home", the first words I saw were "Jackie Chan". But it gets better.

And there I was talking about media interest. Ooops.

Comment

Working...
            X