• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• East German Athletes Seek Doping Compensation

East German Athletes Seek Doping Compensation

By REUTERS
    Published: April 6, 2006
    Filed at 1:48 p.m. ET

BERLIN (Reuters) - Former athletes who say they were harmed by East Germany's doping program vowed on Thursday to take their case to court following a failed attempt to agree compensation...

[rest of post cut by mods: copyright violation] [but link given by next poster]

Someone wasn't paying attention this morning:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/co ... 01039.html

Comment

I thought steroids were harmless:

"The victims suffer from heart deformities, voice changes and extreme hair growth - and these are the lesser effects," said Lehner. "Others have cancer or experienced genetic mutations in their children."

Comment

€20 000 is an insult.

Comment

Originally posted by MJD
          I thought steroids were harmless:

"The victims suffer from heart deformities, voice changes and extreme hair growth - and these are the lesser effects," said Lehner. "Others have cancer or experienced genetic mutations in their children."
          Not saying steroids aren't harmless, but realize you are quoting a personal-injury lawyer there! One who is looking to get some $4Million for his clients (of which he gets?).

Did you expect him to say, "my clients have dandruff and ingrown toenails"?

Comment

Originally posted by gh
            Originally posted by MJD
            "
            Did you expect him to say, "my clients have dandruff and ingrown toenails"?
            That's it. I am going off the stuff! :shock:

Comment

Enlarged heart is present in every well-trained athlete, steroids or not. Voice changes and hirsutism are a result of the testosterone, disappear after you sto taking it, stays if you have genetic predisposition toward masculinization. Cancer is rare (some say may not even be related). Genetic mutations in children happen in at least 3-5% of live births in the general population.

It will be interesting to see how the proof of causality goes.
              "A beautiful theory killed by an ugly fact."
              by Thomas Henry Huxley

Comment

Originally posted by Pego
                It will be interesting to see how the proof of causality goes.
                Can't they just roll out every athlete that died young? Or every one that has depression? Or....you get the idea. We know its bogus but it may work.

Comment

Working...
                X