Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Gyulai István Memorial - Continental Tour (Aug 8th)

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Atticus
    replied
    Originally posted by 18.99s View Post
    McLaughlin is surely retiring in 2024. She doesn't like competing anymore and is just doing the bare minimum number of meets her sponsors will tolerate, and choosing low-key meets with no sub-53 challengers instead of the Diamond League. Once she gets another Olympic gold in 2024 (whether 400m flat or hurdles) and a few more million in the bank, she's done with the sport.
    That's always a possibility - start a family - be more active in the church . . . but she has also made it clear that she craves the challenge of the sport (perhaps times more than competition, since she has no rivals).

Leave a comment:

• 18.99s
    replied
    McLaughlin is surely retiring in 2024. She doesn't like competing anymore and is just doing the bare minimum number of meets her sponsors will tolerate, and choosing low-key meets with no sub-53 challengers instead of the Diamond League. Once she gets another Olympic gold in 2024 (whether 400m flat or hurdles) and a few more million in the bank, she's done with the sport.

Leave a comment:

replied
    Originally posted by Wiederganger View Post

Well, you mention one of the factors yourself, Schippers. She inspired a younger generation with her 2015 gold.

Other factors are the national training centre in Papendal, where the elite athletes have access to all facilities, physios, coaches, and can also get accommodation. Then the Project 400 where van commenee poached Laurent Meuwly from the Swiss to get their quarter milers up to scratch.

But dont over estimate their sprint success; they are struggling in the 100 and 200 with the older generation losing form (Schippers, Samuel, C Martin etc.) and the new generation not quite at the same level.
    Even in their now marquee event, the 400, they are only finding consistency with a small number of athletes.
    Wiederganger, I've always been fascinated by Netherland's speed skating hegemony these last decades through the Winter olympics.
    I wonder why this unique expertise could not be translated to track, to resume.

Leave a comment:

• Wiederganger
    replied
    Originally posted by 79 View Post
    I'm curious to know about the methods from Netherlands, a recently emerging nation in the sprint sphere, right after Daphné Schippers' dominant years.
    Well, you mention one of the factors yourself, Schippers. She inspired a younger generation with her 2015 gold.

Other factors are the national training centre in Papendal, where the elite athletes have access to all facilities, physios, coaches, and can also get accommodation. Then the Project 400 where van commenee poached Laurent Meuwly from the Swiss to get their quarter milers up to scratch.

But dont over estimate their sprint success; they are struggling in the 100 and 200 with the older generation losing form (Schippers, Samuel, C Martin etc.) and the new generation not quite at the same level.
    Even in their now marquee event, the 400, they are only finding consistency with a small number of athletes.

Leave a comment:

• Awsi Dooger
    replied
    Originally posted by aaronk View Post

If Bol ran 51.68 tomorrow, I'd say she's finally reaching SOME of her potential!
    After her 49.75, I think she's ready for a lot more!!
    Meanwhile the segmented math has to work. This is not one big projection party, happily lopping off 6 or 7 tenths as if they are nothing.

Femke Bol does not take long strides and is not comfortable doing so. That is why she has not attempted the advantage stride pattern similar to Sydney McLaughlin or Alison dos Santos. How is Bol going to get down to 51.68 or lower when not once in her life has she ever reached hurdle 8 below 36.0, and not once has she ever covered 8 through wire in less than 15.78?

Again, I'm rooting for Bol but the basic math does not cooperate. She does not have the sprint speed or rapid turnover of McLaughlin. Bol's typical 8 through home split is 16.0. If she reached 8 at 35.6 she still wouldn't manage 51.68 because she would undoubtedly suffer by at least 1 tenth compared to norm coming home. That's what happened in the Silesia 400 flat race. Bol did a fantastic job breaking tendency and going out fast. But she comparatively struggled late, with Kaczmarek gaining on her. Regardless, Bol should place that race in her comfort zone memory bank, for relays as well. You gain more time by banking it early.

Now she needs to do the same thing for hurdles. Laurent Meuwly and the Dutch camp clearly believed Bol was going to break 52 in the Eugene final. That is evident in this article written prior to the race. It is the same article in which Meuwly describes that Bol despite her 1.83 height finds it strange to take longer slower strides. That is why they have not tinkered with it and attempted 14:

https://www.paudal.com/2022/07/22/me...a-swiss-watch/

A reasonable goal for Bol is to try to reach hurdle 8 at 35.8 and then hope to barely hang on and dip under 52. But there's one problem with that: Sydney McLaughlin has only reached 8 at 35.8 or lower one time in her life. That's how rare the Eugene race was. Sydney got to 8 at 35.0. Her second lowest is 35.9 from the Eugene semifinal. Tokyo was 36.0. Today in this meet it was 36.4. Sydney has immense margin for error because she can dip under 52 either way, by going out blistering fast like Eugene or using her superior 15.28 closing speed like today. In Eugene she tired late and closed in 15.68. But that's fine because like Bol in Silesia it's far preferable to kill yourself early and bank the time.
    Last edited by Awsi Dooger; 08-08-2022, 10:55 PM. Reason: Edited to allow clickable link

Leave a comment:

• Paced
    replied
    A great meet. I love the split screen feature.

Leave a comment:

• TN1965
    replied
    Originally posted by beebee View Post

The best way to promote this sport is to prop up great performances. whether it be SM, SAFP, ET, Mondo, Kerley, whomever...
    10.67, 51.68 is not average.
    It would help if our top stars raced more. SAFP may or may not need more money to retire comfortably. But she is doing great service for her sport, and other athletes.

Leave a comment:

replied

If Bol ran a 51.68 you'd have an orgasm...without realizing it you gave SM a big compliment : )
    Ahahaha...
    Bol is the best European 400m/h athlete, sure.
    But she doesn't run in the same division as Mc Laughlin yet. She always has a classy behaviour towards her rivals after her races.
    I'm curious to know about the methods from Netherlands, a recently emerging nation in the sprint sphere, right after Daphné Schippers' dominant years.
    Wiederganger, Powell, aaronk... I'm not talking about doping methods. 😉
    Last edited by 79; 08-08-2022, 07:53 PM.

Leave a comment:

• ATK
    replied

Interesting question!
    With 1 or 2 differences---
    Her 10.60 isn't even the Jamaican NR, so all her 10.67's are BECOMING "average" for HER!!
    If she were to run a 10.75, it would thus be BELOW average....for HER!!
    Again, same with Mondo & Crouser etc etc!
    A 75-0 is GREAT for anyone else, but it's "average" for Crouser!
    A 6.00 for Mondo is "average"....for HIM!!
    Nowadays, a 225-0 for Ceh would be "average" at best for HIM!!

Compare & contrast!
    Was a rhetorical question, 10.67 is otherworldly, as is 51.68.

The fact that SAFP and McLaughlin make it look so easy is even more amazing to me.
    Last edited by ATK; 08-08-2022, 07:19 PM.

Leave a comment:

• beebee
    replied

If Bol ran 51.68 tomorrow, I'd say she's finally reaching SOME of her potential!
    The best way to promote this sport is to prop up great performances. whether it be SM, SAFP, ET, Mondo, Kerley, whomever...
    10.67, 51.68 is not average.

Leave a comment:

• aaronk
    replied

If Bol ran a 51.68 you'd have an orgasm...without realizing it you gave SM a big compliment : )

Leave a comment:

• Atticus
    replied
    Originally posted by donley2 View Post
    Did Bednarek appear to be injured?
    He backed off at 120m and held the top of his left leg like a cramp, not a tear.

Leave a comment:

replied
    Originally posted by Atticus View Post
    Talk about a jog in the park, Syd is in a class by herself. 51 with no pressing.

She deserves time off, but I sure wish (selfishly) she'd race in Europe for a while and then show up in Zurich.
    Totally agree...
    Infact she is writing so brilliant new pages of the 400m/h that I don't imagine her, à la Edwin Moses, anywhere else than on this event.
    I dream to see her break the 50"00 wall someday.

Leave a comment:

• aaronk
    replied
    Originally posted by ATK View Post

As mundane as she makes it look, 51.68 is other worldly.

Also how can that not apply to SAFP in the 100m? Almost a tenth off her best, she's run 3 faster races than her time here. So she must be "average" as well no?
    Interesting question!
    With 1 or 2 differences---
    Her 10.60 isn't even the Jamaican NR, so all her 10.67's are BECOMING "average" for HER!!
    If she were to run a 10.75, it would thus be BELOW average....for HER!!
    Again, same with Mondo & Crouser etc etc!
    A 75-0 is GREAT for anyone else, but it's "average" for Crouser!
    A 6.00 for Mondo is "average"....for HIM!!
    Nowadays, a 225-0 for Ceh would be "average" at best for HIM!!

Compare & contrast!

Leave a comment:

• beebee
    replied
    Best--
    Ceh
    Kovacs
    SAFP

Average--
    Syd
    Shericka
    Erriyon
    Welteji

Worst--
    Grant
    Mondo
    Coleman
    Andersen

Meet Grade
    C+

Leave a comment:

Working...
X