Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2022 European Championships

Seven days from now!
    Yes, we've had the World Champs, the World Juniors (U20), and the Commonwealth Games, all just in the past 24 days!
    But soon comes another "big" meet, the European Championships!

Maybe the USA has the "best" team in the world, but Europe isn't exactly without talent!!
    Waiting for the start lists & heat sheets and such!!

This has been quite the year for elite T&F!!
    Europe---keep it going!!
    LOL

Just checked to see if my Record Book matched the Euros Meet Records as listed in Athletics Annual---and a couple don't!
    Probably MY error!!
    Here's my findings---

MEN
    I have Naert (last name only) for the Marathon--2:09:51 from 2018---but AA has Fiz's 2:10:31 from 1994!

WOMEN
    I have Hassan's 14:46.12 in 2018, but AA has Abeylegesse's 14:54.44 from 2010!

Wikipedia says I'm right!!
    It's Naert & Hassan!!
    Take that, Athletics Annual!
    LOL
    Last edited by aaronk; 08-09-2022, 01:18 AM.

Comment

Timetable

https://assets.european-athletics.co...c-1ffd2fb4b985

Schedule & Results

https://results.mun.mev.atos.net/ECM...y-schedule.htm

Comment

Interesting that the 4x100 is closing out the championships and not the 4x400. Even more so the Womens 4x100...I'm guessing they did that in anticipation of Germany's chances of winning gold?

Comment

Originally posted by aaronk View Post
          Just checked to see if my Record Book matched the Euros Meet Records as listed in Athletics Annual---and a couple don't!
          Probably MY error!!
          Here's my findings---

MEN
          I have Naert (last name only) for the Marathon--2:09:51 from 2018---but AA has Fiz's 2:10:31 from 1994!

WOMEN
          I have Hassan's 14:46.12 in 2018, but AA has Abeylegesse's 14:54.44 from 2010!

Wikipedia says I'm right!!
          It's Naert & Hassan!!
          Take that, Athletics Annual!
          LOL
          Wikipedia is generally very good for athletics but where there are discrepancies, it's always wise to check with the record certifying body just in case subsequent retroactive decisions like suspensions or timing issues aren't recorded in Wikipedia.

In this case, Euro Athletics confirms Naert and Hassan at: https://www.european-athletics.com/h...l-data/records The nice thing about their site is that you can search on records for all types of Euro Champs, in/out/U20/U18/U23/TeamChamps etc

Comment

Final entry lists now published - https://www.european-athletics.com/n...-championships

Very excited for this. I haven't perused those lists yet but my sense from seeing team announcements is that there's very few big names missing (except in the marathons). Of those that are missing, nearly all are injured. So far, I think Hassan is the only one who's said she doesn't want to do it this year.

BTW, for the stats nerds, there's a ECh Statistics Handbook available under "Media Information" at https://www.european-athletics.com/c...ia-information
            Last edited by LuckySpikes; 08-09-2022, 09:02 AM.

Comment

For those outside Europe there is live streaming with no geo-blocking - https://athletics.eurovisionsports.t...ea-munich-2022 If you're in a European country that's broadcasting it on TV (40 countries apparently), you'll need a VPN to access these streams.

By the looks of it, there will be dedicated streams for all field events (including qualifying) - probably without commentary - and for the road events. I presume the "Main Channel" will be the integrated feed rather than a series of separate track streams (which is the impression given?). The integrated feed will, of course, show some field event action inbetween races. Sorry, it's a new website so I'm only 99% sure of the set-up for this year.

Don't expect too much from the commentary. Usually European championship events are done by Phil Minshull and Alex (from Vincosport) but, TBH, neither of them is that good. At Berlin 2018 they had Michelle Sammet too but she wasn't great either.
              Last edited by LuckySpikes; 08-09-2022, 09:25 AM.

Comment

Italy has entered 101 people

https://www.fidal.it/content/Europei...Baviera/142313

Must confess I don't have a clue on who a couple of them are.
                They always max out the relays alternates spots. At this point there are a couple of people who can put on their ID card "relay alternate" as a job.

Comment

I've just found out they'll be using their stupid bye system for the sprints & hurdles again (incl 400 & 400H). It was used in 2016 & 2018 also.

In each of those events, the top 12 ranked athletes (by SB) get a bye to the semis and are joined by 12 athletes qualifying from Round 1 (what they're calling the "Pre-qualification round").

It's grossly unfair I think, especially in the one lap events where 3 rounds can really take it out of you.

Comment

Originally posted by LuckySpikes View Post
                    I've just found out they'll be using their stupid bye system for the sprints & hurdles again (incl 400 & 400H). It was used in 2016 & 2018 also.

In each of those events, the top 12 ranked athletes (by SB) get a bye to the semis and are joined by 12 athletes qualifying from Round 1 (what they're calling the "Pre-qualification round").

It's grossly unfair I think, especially in the one lap events where 3 rounds can really take it out of you.
                    Aye, we spoke about this on another thread; one of the reasons why Bol & Klaver might double in the 400/400mh and 400m/200m - though still undecided.

I generally agree with you: the athletes slower on times will have a disadvantage having run an extra round! The only positive to this senseless rule is the possibility of tops stars like Bol & Klaver might now compete in more than one individual event...but that doesn't help the athletes doing the full 3 rds in one event, only the fans.

Comment

Surprised that Hassan is not running Euros. Eugene was a rust buster for her, and she was very competitive until her wheels dropped off in the last 80m or so. It should be an easy two golds for her (McColgan is not outkicking her).

Comment

They've also got a nice stats handbook: https://directus.european-athletics....s-Handbook.pdf
                        Było smaszno, a jaszmije smukwijne...

Comment

Here's my take on which Meet Records might go, and who should take them down!
                          Looks like most of the Women's MR's will survive, while many of the Men's are at least possible!!

MEN
                          The 35K Walk is new, so....!!
                          Karlstrom could get the 20K Walk!
                          Ingebrigtsen SHOULD get both the 1500 & 5000!
                          Hudson-Smith has a chance at the 400 MR!
                          Is Jacobs healthy & in shape in the 100??
                          Robert has a SMALL chance at the 1978 MR in the 800!!
                          Mondo can TIE his 2018 MR if he tops 6.05!
                          Ceh will DESTROY the DT MR!!!
                          Mayer can get the Decathlon MR!
                          Same question for Warholm as for Jacobs!! The MR is from 1982---Schmid's 47.48!!

With SOME chance at a MR are the 10000, Marathon, the Relays, HJ, LJ, TJ, SP & JT!
                          Absolutely NO chance in the 200, 3000SC, 110H, and the HT!

WOMEN
                          With SOME chance at a MR are the 5000, Marathon, and the 3000SC!
                          Of course, the 35K Walk is new!!
                          It will be tough, but Muir COULD get the 1500 MR!
                          Thiam should get the Heptathlon MR.
                          And Bol?? The only question is how many times she breaks the 400H MR!! Does she do it in the semi's, then gets her own MR in the final??
                          Or does she just blast it to pieces in the final??

All other events have ZERO chance at a MR!!
                          Last edited by aaronk; 08-09-2022, 01:40 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by aaronk View Post
                            Here's my take on which Meet Records might go, and who should take them down!
                            Looks like most of the Women's MR's will survive, while many of the Men's are at least possible!!

MEN
                            The 35K Walk is new, so....!!
                            Karlstrom could get the 20K Walk!
                            Ingebrigtsen SHOULD get both the 1500 & 5000!
                            Hudson-Smith has a chance at the 400 MR!
                            Is Jacobs healthy & in shape in the 100??
                            Robert has a SMALL chance at the 1978 MR in the 800!!
                            Mondo can TIE his 2018 MR if he tops 6.05!
                            Ceh will DESTROY the DT MR!!!
                            Mayer can get the Decathlon MR!
                            Same question for Warholm as for Jacobs!! The MR is from 1982---Schmid's 47.48!!

With SOME chance at a MR are the 10000, Marathon, the Relays, HJ, LJ, TJ, SP & JT!
                            Absolutely NO chance in the 200, 3000SC, 110H, and the HT!

WOMEN
                            With SOME chance at a MR are the 5000, Marathon, and the 3000SC!
                            Of course, the 35K Walk is new!!
                            It will be tough, but Muir COULD get the 1500 MR!
                            Thiam should get the Heptathlon MR.
                            And Bol?? The only question is how many times she breaks the 400H MR!! Does she do it in the semi's, then gets her own MR in the final??
                            Or does she just blast it to pieces in the final??

All other events have ZERO chance at a MR!!
                            2.03 for the HJ is definitely likely.

Comment

Bol has just announced on Instagram that she will be doing both the flat 400m and 400mh.

Comment

Working...
                              X