Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by TN1965 View Post
    When Privalova could win the Olympic gold in the seventh race of her career, I had to question the quality of competition in 400mH. And that's just one example. With all due respect, 400mH failed to attract the top talents in the sport for some extended period.
    Moses won the Olympic Gold and broke the WR in his first year in the event. Was the men's event soft also?

Comment

• Originally posted by Atticus View Post
      Moses won the Olympic Gold and broke the WR in his first year in the event. Was the men's event soft also?
      Maybe it was soft. After Akii-bua's WR in Munich, no one ran under 48.50 for three seasons. Seems like the event was stagnant for a few years. Moses also competed in high hurdle and 400m (or 440yd) before 400mH. So he was not like a complete novice that Privalova was.

Comment

• I’d love to see SMU give them a serious try - very few of the top tier flat runners have tried them, and those that have (Perec, looking at you) tended to do so without proper technique - they relied on speed and “jumping” over the low barriers. SMc does so well because she legit hones the hurdling technique with some very quick flat speed..

Comment

Maybe it was soft. After Akii-bua's WR in Munich, no one ran under 48.50 for three seasons. Seems like the event was stagnant for a few years. Moses also competed in high hurdle and 400m (or 440yd) before 400mH. So he was not like a complete novice that Privalova was.
          Privlova was a world class athlete (and Olympic medalist) for almost a decade when she decided to concentrate on the hurdles. Yeah, another softie like Moses.

Comment

• Originally posted by DET59 View Post

Privlova was a world class athlete (and Olympic medalist) for almost a decade when she decided to concentrate on the hurdles. Yeah, another softie like Moses.
            So what hurdling experience did she have before 2000? All I could see on her WA profile is 13.56 in 100mH and 8.16 in 60mH both in 2000.

Comment

So what hurdling experience did she have before 2000? All I could see on her WA profile is 13.56 in 100mH and 8.16 in 60mH both in 2000.
              I have no idea, but if you actually watch the 2000 final she: 1) had no technique issues and was alternating her lead legs (which for any hurdler is difficult) and 2) She won the freaking Olympics and beat every other hurdler or converted sprinter/hurdler in the world who had years and years of experience.

The only time a world record is "soft" is when it is first introduced (ie switch from pent to hep) for record purposes by the IAAF or when the event is changed. (ie both javelins).... how long the event records are "soft" is a matter of opinion. I'd say the hep record was "soft" from 78-81, Men's jave from 86-90 (huge technique change). women's jave 99-01.

The women's 400 hurdles was not a soft event after 20 years of competition. It's definitely wasn't a soft record when Sydney broke it 4 times after it had been in competition for over 40 years. I'd be curious "how long" other people think other events (as well as the above) were soft records. IAAF recognized womens TJ in 1990, Womens hammer in 1994. Distance running is much harder to say when an event was "introduced" like the women's marathon. Were distance records ever "soft" ?

The best "athletes" in most countries don't take up track and field. America's strongest most athletic men as a group are not throwing shot or hammer, the most talented jumpers are probably playing basketball, and the fastest runners are usually at corner back or wide receiver. That doesn't diminish the world, Olympic, and national records in those events. Saying the IH is different than every other track event is silly. The best in the world in anything is decided by those who turn up and compete under whatever the current rules are. There ae not soft world records at this time (except the new 4x400 mixed relays), though there are some drug tainted records that need to be addressed.

Comment

I have no idea, but if you actually watch the 2000 final she: 1) had no technique issues and was alternating her lead legs (which for any hurdler is difficult)
                Not at all, esp. those with little history of hurdling. In 20 years of coaching hurdlers I only had one (boy) athlete who took a while. Simply practice both legs at every practice from the get-go. Never let them stutter or stretch for a hurdle (i.e., make them correct it immediately); simply take it with whichever leg presents itself. Very simple.

Comment

the fastest runners are usually at corner back or wide receiver.
                  Completely disagree.

Comment

Were distance records ever "soft" ?
                    Steeple before Galkina, 5000 before Defar and marathon before Waitz.

Comment

Steeple before Galkina, 5000 before Defar and marathon before Waitz.
                      Thanks, three good "turning points" in those distances.

Comment

• Originally posted by gm View Post

Completely disagree.
                        Id agree with you up until 10-20 years ago, when the fastest boys in school usually played football, and ran track (often with the same coaches). With the current era of kid specializing in one sport around middle school, track has really suffered. If you look at the top 100 rated preps in either football or basketball, very few run/throw/jump track like in the past. Very few. The era of BobHayes or Mike Carter is pretty much over, though Devon Allen is trying.

Comment

Id agree with you up until 10-20 years ago, when the fastest boys in school usually played football, and ran track (often with the same coaches). With the current era of kid specializing in one sport around middle school, track has really suffered. If you look at the top 100 rated preps in either football or basketball, very few run/throw/jump track like in the past. Very few. The era of BobHayes or Mike Carter is pretty much over, though Devon Allen is trying.
                          There is no one on a football field faster than Fred Kerley, Trayvon Bromell or Christian Coleman. Or Noah Lyles, or Erriyon Knighton or Kenny Bednarek, for that matter.

Comment

• Originally posted by gm View Post

There is no one on a football field faster than Fred Kerley, Trayvon Bromell or Christian Coleman. Or Noah Lyles, or Erriyon Knighton or Kenny Bednarek, for that matter.
                            Of course they're slower, they've been playing football and not training for sprints since middle school. The question is who were the fastest kids at ages 13-15 and what if track paid better than football did? Would they still be the fastest? We'll never know. Same with throws, same with jumps.

There's probably 400 American men right now earning $100,000 to $38 million a year playing basketball. If you could take them all back to 7th grade, pick the best 100 with "high jumper" build and hops and just train for 15 years theres a good chance of an 8 foot AR in the group. Again, we'll never know. I'd also speculate the women who had the greatest potential as girls to break the discus WR are probably playing power forward in the Russian Prremier League and/or WNBA.

Sadly, it's all about money and T&F is falling further behind. The non-sport "Crossfit" now has bigger prize money and endorsements than track for its elite. (I recently heard Crossfit described by a comedian as the "sport" for guys who "peaked in high school") Their CEO should get the $3.5 million (though I think he controls the investment group that owns it now). Maybe T&F should go "private" like Crossfit, LIV Golf, UFC, X-Games, Lacrosse, etc?

Comment

• Originally posted by Atticus View Post
                              In 20 years of coaching hurdlers I only had one (boy) athlete who took a while.
                              That's remarkable.

Comment

• There's probably 400 American men right now earning $100,000 to $38 million a year playing basketball. If you could take them all back to 7th grade, pick the best 100 with "high jumper" build and hops and just train for 15 years theres a good chance of an 8 foot AR in the group.

100% - 28-30 ft LJers and Gold Medal decathlon as well. (Ja Morant, Russell Westbrook spring to mind).

(I recently heard Crossfit described by a comedian as the "sport" for guys who "peaked in high school")

That guy would vomit 3 minutes into his first workout.

I'm no fan of Crossfit brand and the heavy PED denial and the stupid dangerous exercises, but nobody and I mean nobody works harder. On my department we have an annual Fitness Test. I've maxed it out 5 of the last 6 years. We happen to have a Pro Crossfitter on our department. He also maxes out our test.

We are both technically "100%ers."

The difference between me and him is about the difference between D3 football and The SEC.

In other words; that comedian can get bent. (I know it's comedy but you have to at least sort of know what you're talking about).
                                You there, on the motorbike! Sell me one of your melons!

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎