Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The most dangerous T&F events?...

While watching bull riders from the PBR on tv, that is considered to be the most dangerous sport in the US, I've wondered which events are the most dangerous ones, to your mind, in the T&F universe.
    Give your podium.
    Mine would be:
    1- 110m/h or 100m/h ( t_monk described it very well as a chaotic race on this board)
    2- pole-vault
    3- Hammer throw
    Last edited by 79; 08-15-2022, 09:53 PM.

The Pole Vault is more dangerous than the high hurdles. I don't believe anyone has ever been paralysed whilst hurdling.

The long throws are occasionally dangerous to others in the arena rather than to the participant him/herself.

The marathon & other long distances can be dangerous in extreme heat, especially if you don't keep as cool and hydrated as possible.

Comment

Originally posted by LuckySpikes View Post
      The Pole Vault is more dangerous than the high hurdles. I don't believe anyone has ever been paralysed whilst hurdling..
      Having been both, you get an amen from me. I've hit hurdles and eaten track - a little road rash and maybe a sore knee. Getting rejected in the PV (not pushing the pole to vertical, which happens pretty often when first bending the pole) or missing the pit, or hitting the standards or ESPECIALLY landing in the box, are all serious cause for concern of injury. You can hurdle without a coach watching. You can NOT PV without a coach present.

As noted, most throwing injuries are to bystanders, not the thrower.

Comment

Pole vault is the only event where you’re 20 feet up in the air…

Comment

Definitely pole vaulting.

https://www.thedp.com/article/2002/0..._too_dangerous

Comment

The only correct answer is the pole vault.

Comment

Originally posted by gm View Post
              The only correct answer is the pole vault.
              Not even close.

Comment

marathon running.... you know how many runners get "in the zone" and get hit by cars? Many more injuries this way than pole vaulting : )

Track and Field, including the PV, is a very safe sport. Way more dangerous in high school is cheerleading, which has thousands of serious injuries and concussions a year in the USA. It's my pet peeve that is OK to lift a student 10-15 feet off the ground above a wood gym floor, but thousands of schools no longer vault because of the fear of falling 6-15 feet into a massive foam pad designed for falls.

When you look at all the SafeSport investigations and the 100 or so names on the USATF disciplinary list, running appears to be much more dangerous than all the field events combined.
                Last edited by DET59; 08-16-2022, 12:58 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by billychuck View Post
                  Pole vault is the only event where you’re 20 feet up in the air…
                  So the only Vaulter in any danger is...Mondo!!
                  LOL

Comment

Originally posted by DET59 View Post
                    marathon running.... you know how many runners get "in the zone" and get hit by cars? Many more injuries this way than pole vaulting : )

Track and Field, including the PV, is a very safe sport. Way more dangerous in high school is cheerleading, which has thousands of serious injuries and concussions a year in the USA. It's my pet peeve that is OK to lift a student 10-15 feet off the ground above a wood gym floor, but thousands of schools no longer vault because of the fear of falling 6-15 feet into a massive foam pad designed for falls.
                    Not to get sidetracked too much but I've been to many HS football games and it seems that half of the ambulance visits are for cheerleaders rather than football players.

As to the question...PV I think is clearly the answer.

Comment

Pole vault for sure.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VHY9DSdMTGs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kDyJ3EIKV4Y

Comment

It's steeplechase.

By far the highest odds of drowning of all the Olympic T&F events.

Comment

Many events have their dangers.

PV - the height, speed, and rotation involved makes it inherently dangerous.

long throws - yeah, as pointed out above by atticus, some of this is to bystanders, but that still counts! heavy or sharp stuff flying through the air. 'nuff said.

distance running - eating disorders, and (hat tip to DET59), the running on the roads.

high jump - less height than PV, but possibility of landing on your neck still is there. Also, eating disorders happen there as well.

all women's events - potential for sexual abuse by coaches. Yes, happens in men's events too, but less likely.

Comment

Danger on the marathon course.

LOOK OUT! Rogue spectator tackles Olympic marathon leader in final miles (Athens 2004) | NBC Sports - YouTube

Comment

Long jump could be dangerous.

Athletics long jump collision - YouTube

Comment

Working...
                              X