Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Today's sign of the track apocalypse

In the overflowing Texas Relays parking garage (oh that we could have such crowd problems at all our meets in the USA!), I rolled by a red sporty car with a personalized Texas license plate that read...... TAFNUT.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!

I'm wondering if TAFNUT is a registered trademark. If not, there is the potential to create souvenir license plates and lots of other profitable items.

Comment

Re: Today's sign of the track apocalypse

Originally posted by gm
      In the overflowing Texas Relays parking garage (oh that we could have such crowd problems at all our meets in the USA!), I rolled by a red sporty car with a personalized Texas license plate that read...... TAFNUT.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!
      Mid-life crisis.

Comment

Originally posted by gm

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!
        You did not tell us if it had Texas or Florida plates. :lol: :lol:

Comment

errr... yes he did

Comment

The question then is: were the tags from Texas or Florida?

Answer: YES!

Comment

Originally posted by gm
              It would be a better problem if more track'n'field stadiums in the US were built so spectators can sit in the stands all around the track. I know at least a couple of them were used for the Olympic Games (84' and 96', maybe more?), but are there anymore in the country? From my experience, the stadium at Sacramento City College (not SAC State) is the closet covering about three-thirds the track. Other staduims have many rows, but they are located either on one side, or on both sides of the straight-aways. Europe gets it! Yes, I know they are into track'n'field more than the folks in the US and another thread talks about putting a track back at the USC football stadium. Maybe people in the US do not want to take the risk of having a stadium that only about 12.5% (or 1/8th) of the seats are filled. Only if it (stadiums in the US similar to the ones in Europe and full capacity) happened, then I would be happy about it.

Comment

Originally posted by gm

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!
                Was it the Lamborghini or Ferrari I keep in Texas (just in case I fly in for some chili)? I can't remember which has that plate. The other one says "Stud Mufn"

And yes, of course the name is Trademarked - duh!

Comment

For all you TEXFLORIDIANS, I'm told that Arcadia was overflowing.

Comment

TAFNUT...ha ha...my friends and I park right next to him...our spot is called the "Hydration Station"...plenty of beer for between PV sessions.

His car is actually burnt orange and he's a 60+ year old Austinite.

Comment

Sorry T'nut, guess you can't move back to CA. Just checked the DMV website, and both TAFNUT and TAF NUT are already taken.

Comment

I saw it too! For a second I was pissed at Pat for not telling me he was coming to Austin, until I realized they were Texas plates.
                        "Run fast and keep turning left."

Comment

Originally posted by trackstar
                          I saw it too! For a second I was pissed at Pat for not telling me he was coming to Austin, until I realized they were Texas plates.
                          My only 'Texas Experience' was being pulled over halfway between El Paso and Dallas (aka the Middle of Nowhere) in 1974 on my way to Flight Training in Pensacola. I was probably going 85, which probably was not much over whatever the speed limit was, if indeed there even was one. A Texas Highway Patrolman roared up (probably the first interesting thng he had done all day) and flashed the lights AND hit the siren (there was no one else in view on the interstate but us).

I swear I am not making this up, but out steps the most stereotypical Texas cop you can imagine. He was probably 6'3, 260, with a full gut stretching his shirt very tight. The uniform was obviously tailored to a physique he had had 10 years prior when he played football for State U. Since then the doughnuts were winning the Waistline Battle. He's got the silver reflective lenses in his aviator sunglasses - the Smokey & the Bandit hat, and he SAUNTERED up to my car.

[I just realized that this is SUCH a Twittering Debutante story]

I rolled down the window and the blast furnace summer air came roaring in. I immediately started sweating (for several obvious reasons). He asked for my license, and I gave him it AND my Navy ID, which he looked at for a while. He looked at me, looked up and down the highway, hitched up his pants and drawled, "I'm gonna letcha off with a warning this time, but the next time yer in Texas, I want you to drive right friendly now, y'hear?" I almost burst into laughter at the cinematic verite of the scene, but I just nodded and s-l-o-w-l-y merged back onto the highway.

And that's my only memory of Texas!

Comment

Originally posted by tafnut
                            My only 'Texas Experience' was being pulled over halfway between El Paso and Dallas (aka the Middle of Nowhere) in 1974 on my way to Flight Training in Pensacola.
                            I know your pain because I made most of the I-10 trip from Mississippi to California (38 hours) to drop my car (Silver 2005 Nissan Altima) off with my parents. Once I went west of San Antonio, I was really alone. I seen some 18-wheelers, but I was had the only car on the road for a few hours. It was so bad that I was driving in freezing rain (which I had never done that before) and a Game Warren closed off the I-10 westbound (about 15 miles west of Junction, Texas). He told me I had to turn around. So I went on an alternate route, which delayed me an hour, but luckily, got back on the TEN. I almost found out the hard way not to mess with Texas because I almost went off one of those back roads. If I did, I may not be talking right now. That is my Texas experience.

Comment

Originally posted by tafnut
                              Originally posted by trackstar
                              [I just realized that this is SUCH a Twittering Debutante story]

TD writes MUCH better than that.

:wink:
                              great story.

Comment

Working...
                              X