Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by noone View Post
    The word 'garage' is pronounced differently in the UK and the US
    that's a bizarre one in that I've always thought the U.S. version sounds more British!

Comment

Some of my favorites,

"The race is hotting up",

"It's a cracking race now",

and when Kipchoge drops a 14:11 5k segment in the marathon, "he's asking questions."

Comment

"He's full of running now."

Comment

Not really a Britishism per se, but one thing most British announcers like to say is “remember “. As in “remember, only the first two qualify by rights”, or “remember, she still leads by virtue of fewer misses”. I find this condescending, and frankly, irritating. The implication is that the listener is forgetful.

Comment

Originally posted by gh View Post

that's a bizarre one in that I've always thought the U.S. version (of "garage") sounds more British!
            The British pronounce "garage" to rhyme with "carriage", and my British wife says that the American pronunciation sounds FRENCH.

Comment

Originally posted by Hammer_Forever View Post

The British pronounce "garage" to rhyme with "carriage", and my British wife says that the American pronunciation sounds FRENCH.
              You do hear the American pronunciation here but to my ears it sounds somewhat affected and 'posh'.

Comment

I was going to say - the ‘British way’ depends on who you are: “garridge” and “garaaarrrge” both occur

Comment

Just heard another common way. Long Jumper goes pretty far, Brit says, "oh that was tasty."
                  Sounds kinda pervy to me!!

Comment

Originally posted by Atticus View Post
                    Just heard another common way. Long Jumper goes pretty far, Brit says, "oh that was tasty."
                    Sounds kinda pervy to me!!
                    That's a slightly unusual usage but not unheard of. I would expect it to be more often used in anticipation of a race or specific field event. For example, someone looking at the startlists of an upcoming night say that the men's 800 or women's discus looks tasty because it has a strong, closely-matched field.

Comment

I know a guy who is originally from England who pronounces privacy with a short i, like the word "privy". I don't know if this is the normal British pronunciation or his personal variation.

Comment

Originally posted by noone View Post
                        I know a guy who is originally from England who pronounces privacy with a short i, like the word "privy". I don't know if this is the normal British pronunciation or his personal variation.
                        I tend to pronounce it that way too, but you will hear both.

Comment

Somon Cowell FRUSS-trates me because he says frust-RATES.

Also says contra-BEAUTS, not con-TRIB-utes. .

Comment

Originally posted by Atticus View Post
                            Somon Cowell FRUSS-trates me because he says frust-RATES.

Also says contra-BEAUTS, not con-TRIB-utes. .
                            No-one with any sense takes Simon Cowell seriously. He's a ridiculous man.

Comment

Originally posted by gh View Post

when the Royal Navy runs into stormy weather do they baton down the hatches?
                              Yes, and then they run to the cabinet for their dram of Pusser's Rum, because unlike the dry U S Navy, the Royal Navy is wet. :-)
                              Last edited by bobguild76; 09-09-2022, 10:16 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by LuckySpikes View Post

No one with any sense takes Simon Cowell seriously. He's a ridiculous man.
                                I dunno how such a ridiculous and "unpleasant" man is so successful.

Not to hijack the thread but is it ironic that the judges on AGT are Canadian, Venuzealen, German, and British?

Comment

Working...
                                X