Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What's wrong with the high-jump event?...

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's wrong with the high-jump event?...

I sometimes have the curious impression to be back to the 70s' when I see Protsenko's poor 2m24 performance to win a Diamond League meeting, yesterday.
    Through all this season, performances have been much lower than the previous years - men or women-.
    What is your main explanation about this?
    Dwight Stone wouldn't be ridiculous today.
    Last edited by 79; 08-27-2022, 04:28 PM.

Events go in cycles.

Comment

Who is Dwight Stone ?

Comment

Originally posted by dukehjsteve View Post
        Who is Dwight Stone ?
        Dwight Stones... 😉

Comment

To be exact, Dwight Stones would be tied for 3rd on the 2022 world list with his PR of 2.34, set 38 years ago.

I think we can go further and say that the event has been in the doldrums since the 1990s, with the exception of a brief period around 2013-2015.

Comment

gravity has increased

Comment

Originally posted by gm View Post
              Events go in cycles.
              Absolutely. Factors could include previous decades' drug use, plus the lure of so many more popular sports taking the best athletes.
              One thing it ain't - the shoes!

The trend even exists in HS performances. The 10th best HS boy HJer in these years:

2022 - 7'0
              2012 - 7'0
              2002 - 7'0.5
              1992 - 7'1.5
              1982 - 7'0.75

The Long Jump ain't doing so great either.

Comment

1. It goes in cycles, as others have said.
                2. The Russian women have either retired (Chicherova) or are practically banned (Lasitskene), so limited to jumping only in Russia.
                3. Cunningham, Barshim and 1 or 2 other reliables are way off their game---either injuries or who knows why!
                4. The Ukrainians, while performing well most of the time (Mahuchukh), are dealing with the war and all the horrors it brings to their lives!

Comment

Originally posted by 79 View Post
                  I sometimes have the curious impression to be back to the 70s' when I see Protsenko's poor 2m24 performance to win a Diamond League meeting, yesterday.
                  Through all this season, performances have been much lower than the previous years - men or women-.
                  What is your main explanation about this?
                  Dwight Stone wouldn't be ridiculous today.
                  Doesn't explain the general doldrums, but evidently there was a problem with the facility yesterday. Relevant excerpts from post-competition interviews follow.

Barshim:

...the running space was a bit too tight...
                  Harrison:

We needed a bit more space for our run up, so most guys had to shorten their approach which might have affected the performances today.
                  Source: Wanda Diamond League, Stade Olympique de la Pontaise - Lausanne (SUI), 25th - 26th August 2022, Flash Quotes

Comment

Originally posted by dukehjsteve View Post
                    Who is Dwight Stone ?
                    He was a running back/wide receiver for the Steelers in the late 80's/early 90's who, every time his name was mentioned, I'd think of the high jump.

Comment

Originally posted by Atticus View Post
                      Absolutely. Factors could include previous decades' drug use, plus the lure of so many more popular sports taking the best athletes.
                      One thing it ain't - the shoes!

The trend even exists in HS performances. The 10th best HS boy HJer in these years:

2022 - 7'0
                      2012 - 7'0
                      2002 - 7'0.5
                      1992 - 7'1.5
                      1982 - 7'0.75

The Long Jump ain't doing so great either.
                      It's possible the worldwide popularity (not just in the US) of basketball has siphoned off many athletes who'd otherwise be jumpers whether high or long. This doesn't mean they have to be professional basketball players just that there is less interest in the jumps at an early age because there is an alternative with those with hops.

Also....is it possible the build of most elite HJers has stagnated the event. Sotomayor always appeared to be more solidly built than the typical long and lanky HJer. Might the even require more muscle mass to go higher?

Comment

Originally posted by NotDutra5 View Post

It's possible the worldwide popularity (not just in the US) of basketball has siphoned off many athletes who'd otherwise be jumpers whether high or long. This doesn't mean they have to be professional basketball players just that there is less interest in the jumps at an early age because there is an alternative with those with hops.

Also....is it possible the build of most elite HJers has stagnated the event. Sotomayor always appeared to be more solidly built than the typical long and lanky HJer. Might the even require more muscle mass to go higher?
                        Good point - popularity, and the possibility of vast paychecks.

Comment

Originally posted by 79 View Post

Dwight Stones... 😉
                          sorry, I could not resist... lol

Comment

I've long believed all of the best jumpers and multis athletes are to be found in the Big Sports: Football (of all persuasions) Basketball and even Baseball.
                            You there, on the motorbike! Sell me one of your melons!

Comment

Baseball -> Javelin, yes, but I have a hard time seeing any baseball player as a top track athlete in any other discipline. Bu then my ignorance of baseball is profound, so I probably shouldn't even express an opinion on that

Comment

Working...
                              X