Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Vault-emort View Post
    Why is Winger retiring?

After a career less then brilliant (until this year) why would she call it quits now? Surely another two seasons?

If she wants to start a family - fair enough. But can't think of any other reason why she would pull the plug.
    Maybe after 17+ years she's had enough. There's not a huge pot of cash available in the U.S. for women's javelin throwers. Four Olympics and six World Championships is probably enough for just about anyone.

Comment

• Originally posted by gm View Post

Maybe after 17+ years she's had enough. There's not a huge pot of cash available in the U.S. for women's javelin throwers.
      Probably not enough cash anywhere for a spear chucker from any country - but this would be the year or two for her to earn her biggest load of coin.

Comment

Probably not enough cash anywhere for a spear chucker from any country - but this would be the year or two for her to earn her biggest load of coin.
        That's what I was thinking. Surely, she can bank more coin in the next two years then maybe the 17 previous combined?! . . . that may not be much though.

Comment

Originally posted by Atticus View Post
          That's what I was thinking. Surely, she can bank more coin in the next two years then maybe the 17 previous combined?! . . . that may not be much though.
          All true, but she could also just be physically and mentally tired. I could only imagine the toll it's taken to be at her all time best this season at the Age of 36 after almost 2 decades of training and competing. Also, maybe she's venturing into other things (that could very well earn more money and be less demanding)

Comment

• I noticed that Coburn did not congratulate or even acknowledge Getachew after the race, despite standing 3 feet away from her for quite a while. I was disappointed in that. Coburn has never been shy about her opinions toward certain competitors but at least go through the motions on the track at the end of a long season.

Getachew collapsed not far beyond the finish line. Frankly not many competitors congratulated her quickly. Only Chepkoech did. They probably bonded somewhat after the very tight finish in the prior event. Fortunately they kept the cameras on Getachew for a long time after the race. Eventually a couple of the other runners were shown smiling alongside her near the grandstand railing.

But in the interim Coburn had every opportunity and chose not to. Coburn went to aid Yavi, who was on her back not gar from Getachew and apparently in some discomfort. Coburn stood above Yavi and eventually helped her to her feet. Getachew was 3 feet to Coburn's left throughout this period. Coburn stood up and turned her head slightly left at the same time Getachew stood up and turned her head right. That meant they were soon to be facing each other from 2 feet away. I was very interested to see what the interaction would be.

Coburn removed any possibility. She immediately shifted her head in the other direction and walked away with Yavi. It was difficult to believe this was unintentional. You would think the Diamond League champion would earn at least a token smile and nod.

The reason I mention this is that the same thing happened in Eugene. I took note of it then but intentionally didn't say anything until it became a trend. Jeruto had been on the ground after her victory then got up and was gleefully going around to athletes sprawled on the track and grasping their hands. Jeruto headed toward Frerichs. Coburn would have been next. Instead, Coburn saw what was happening and avoided any possibility. She looped in the other direction toward Wayment. Coburn never did go anywhere near Jeruto. Such a contrast to Gega, who sought out Jeruto just after Coburn walked away. Gega was very enthusiastic in congratulating Jeruto.

Not all of the anti-American sentiment on forums like this is misplaced.

Comment

• Originally posted by Awsi Dooger View Post
              So you were compelled to write an essay, ending with one of your usual anti-American jabs, because one competitor apparently doesn't like another? It's not like Coburn walked up to Getachew and punched her out. Do you study all athlete interactions after every race and then compare who and who did not congratulate one another?

Life is short . . .

Comment

I love the rent-free space she has in your head.

You may certainly harbor all the ill-will you wish towards Ms. Coburn, but thinking the entire United States of America is to blame for whatever fantasies you have about her, is just . . . ugly.

Comment

• Originally posted by bad hammy View Post
                  So you were compelled to write an essay, ending with one of your usual anti-American jabs, because one competitor apparently doesn't like another? It's not like Coburn walked up to Getachew and punched her out. Do you study all athlete interactions after every race and then compare who and who did not congratulate one another?

Life is short . . .

It all starts with playground intimidation...

Comment

• Originally posted by ATK View Post
                    she could also just be physically and mentally tired
                    Doubtless - but surely having a season like this - the best of your career - would rejuvenate anyone;

Comment

I noticed that Coburn did not congratulate or even acknowledge Getachew after the race, despite standing 3 feet away from her for quite a while. I was disappointed in that. Coburn has never been shy about her opinions toward certain competitors but at least go through the motions on the track at the end of a long season.
                      Coburn knows what the deal is, and didn't want to be fake with somebody who shouldn't have been in the race. I don't blame her.

Comment

• Originally posted by 18.99s View Post

Coburn knows what the deal is, and didn't want to be fake with somebody who shouldn't have been in the race. I....
                        ?? Getachew was No. 2 on the points list coming in

Comment

• Originally posted by gh View Post
                          ?? Getachew was No. 2 on the points list coming in
                          That's not what he was referring to.

Comment

• Originally posted by Atticus View Post
                            That's not what he was referring to.
                            then color me dull

Comment

• Originally posted by 18.99s View Post

Coburn knows what the deal is, and didn't want to be fake with somebody who shouldn't have been in the race. I don't blame her.
                              absolutely spot on!!

Comment

Working...
                              X