This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ZazaShoya View Post
    I think my introduction was rather objective. But please tell me what is wrong in there ?
    Allow me to enumerate.
    Originally posted by ZazaShoya View Post
    1.Duane Ross, infamous for his own disgrace as an athlete, and lately for his son's
    2. Randolph, caught tampering with testing process in June.
    3. Some may note that, (un)surprisingly, those two athletes were quietly doing their thing in the NCAA and problems came later, when they had to face the international circuit and its much less loose anti-doping protocol.
    4. The independent and, let's say it, deficient anti-doping collegiate system, is given too much leeway in my opinion.
    5. I regularly see rants about how the WA ranking system is biased towards NCAA athletes. I think they're already awarded more than what they should. As long as the NCAA doesn't abide by the global law, the performances should be considered non-existent.
    6. This case also concerns a Nigerian athlete, once again
    1. subjective description
    2. Facts not yet in evidence
    3. 'Doing their thing' obviously means 'doping'. Again, facts not yet in evidence.
    4. Subjective.
    5. Subjective
    6. Suggests unfair scrutiny on Nigerian athletes. Facts not in evidence.

Comment

The objective version is that 2 athletes who attend the same college have been suspended for alleged doping offences. The person who was director of track & field at that college until May this year was a doper. One of the 2 suspended athletes is the son of the director.
      Last edited by Trickstat; 09-05-2022, 07:40 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Trickstat View Post
        2 athletes who attend the same college have been suspended for alleged doping offences.
        The person who was director of track & field at that college until May this year was a doper.
        One of the 2 suspended athletes is the son of the director.
        Nice terse recap!
        It paints a suggestive picture, but does not editorialize.

Comment

"1.Duane Ross, infamous for his own disgrace as an athlete, and lately for his son's" 1. subjective description.

IMHO
          It would be wise for UT to buy out Ross's Contract due to bad publicity and its effect on recruiting.

Comment

It is completely inconceivable to me that an education establishment would employ someone as an athletics coach who has been banned for attempted use, possession, and trafficking of PEDs !!
            i deserve extra credit

Comment

Originally posted by Grasshopper View Post

Which is pretty much the same explanation the NCAA gives for not making it's testing information openly available.
              But it's not about publishing them, there's an issue with doing the testing at all. I recall multiple instances when various records set in NCAA events (including the NCAA champs) could not be recognized due to lack of testing.
              Było smaszno, a jaszmije smukwijne...

Comment

Originally posted by Powell View Post
                But it's not about publishing them, there's an issue with doing the testing at all. I recall multiple instances when various records set in NCAA events (including the NCAA champs) could not be recognized due to lack of testing.
                While schools routinely forgive transgressions by big-name football/basketball coaches, that rarely happens in smaller sports. Tennessee must REALLY want a winning track team (booster-driven?)!

Comment

The NCAA did/does its own testing at championship events. Its refusal to give USADA first crack at an athlete is a major point of contention between the two organizations. Currently the NCAA uses Drug Free Sport International as its vendor for doping tests.

Comment

Originally posted by Wiederganger View Post

It would be great if they were able to retrospectively prove Randolph had doped in Tokyo; the Dutch men could then be upgraded to 4x4 gold. Better still, prove other D.Ross athletes were cheating...and upgrade the Dutch mixed 4x4 team from 4th to bronze 😀

But seriously (actually, I was being partly serious...) I don't think Nwokocha's positive is shocking news, and most hardcore athletics fans I interact with on Twitter, who are from all over the globe, were not surprised. It is also clear, as has been discussed by objective fans numerous times, that there is a wider problem with doping in general in the NCAA. But I am not expecting too much objectivity on these forums...
                    The way so many threads turn into a discussion on Dutch athletes truly amazes me. You were being very serious.

Will be interesting to see what Nwokocha has to say for herself.

Comment

Originally posted by Atticus View Post
                      Allow me to enumerate.

1. subjective description
                      2. Facts not yet in evidence
                      3. 'Doing their thing' obviously means 'doping'. Again, facts not yet in evidence.
                      4. Subjective.
                      5. Subjective
                      6. Suggests unfair scrutiny on Nigerian athletes. Facts not in evidence.
                      This is not a court trial. It's a discussion.
                      Therefore, I will allow.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacksf View Post
                        This is not a court trial. It's a discussion. Therefore, I will allow.
                        Merely acceding to the defense's request to clarify the OP's non-objectivity, Your Honor.

Comment

Originally posted by mump boy View Post
                          It is completely inconceivable to me that an education establishment would employ someone as an athletics coach who has been banned for attempted use, possession, and trafficking of PEDs !!
                          Or a media company under contract with the WA, and/or USATF would have them in the booth commentating...

Comment

Originally posted by gm View Post

The NCAA did/does its own testing at championship events. Its refusal to give USADA first crack at an athlete is a major point of contention between the two organizations. Currently the NCAA uses Drug Free Sport International as its vendor for doping tests.
                            That's one reason why I think ZazaShoya has a point about NCAA performances (not) being eligible for world rankings. It's not just drug testing, either - e.g. a couple of years ago they refused to adopt the international rules on shoes, limiting the thickness of the soles. How is WA supposed to figure out who is or isn't using shoes meeting their standards in collegiate competition?
                            Było smaszno, a jaszmije smukwijne...

Comment

That's one reason why I think ZazaShoya has a point about NCAA performances (not) being eligible for world rankings. It's not just drug testing, either - e.g. a couple of years ago they refused to adopt the international rules on shoes, limiting the thickness of the soles. How is WA supposed to figure out who is or isn't using shoes meeting their standards in collegiate competition?
                              Not clear on which world rankings you're referring to. If it is, for instance, the T&FN rankings on the men's side I think there was one collegiate athlete ranked (Terrance Laird) from 2021. I doubt WA rankings would show more collegiate athletes considering there is even more international competition bias with those rankings.

Comment

The same way they do at any of the other dozens/hundreds of worldwide competitions that don't certify shoes -- ask for evidence, and if it isn't provided you don't allow those marks for qualifying/ranking.

Comment

Working...
                                X