Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Nwokocha case and related issues

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Nwokocha case and related issues

    Nigerian sprinter Grace Nwokocha (PB 10.97 from this year) has been suspended by the AIU for a failed drug test https://twitter.com/aiu_athletics/st...C87cSMjLwrAAAA

    Raises several issues for me :

    First of all towards the NCAA. Nwokocha was a member of the NC A&T squad, trained by Duane Ross, infamous for his own disgrace as an athlete, and lately for his son's, Randolph, caught tampering with testing process in June. Some may say this is an epiphenomenon, largely dependent on the dubious profil of Ross father, and has nothing to do with the larger scale of college T&F.
    Some may note that, (un)surprisingly, those two athletes were quietly doing their thing in the NCAA and problems came later, when they had to face the international circuit and its much less loose anti-doping protocol.

    The independent and, let's say it, deficient (and the word convey the idea that this is more by lack of means than lack of will) anti-doping collegiate system, is given too much leeway in my opinion. I regularly see rants about how the WA ranking system is biased towards NCAA athletes. I think they're already awarded more than what they should. As long as the NCAA doesn't abide by the global law, the performances should be considered non-existent.

    This case also concerns a Nigerian athlete, once again ...

  • #2
    This is about two entities--
    The Ross family's involvement with drugs
    The NC A&T's connection to multiple drug users
    (And by osmosis, the Tennessee system as well!)

    If I were a student-athlete at either institution right now, I'd be working on an immediate transfer to another university!!
    This is only peripherally connected to the NCAA!

    Comment


    • #3
      Exactly what I expected. Once again, how come they were not suspended by the NCAA if the system as a whole is not flawed like the Universities or individuals ?

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by ZazaShoya View Post
        his son's, Randolph, caught tampering with testing process in June. Some may say this is an epiphenomenon, largely dependent on the dubious profil of Ross father, and has nothing to do with the larger scale of college T&F.
        It would be great if they were able to retrospectively prove Randolph had doped in Tokyo; the Dutch men could then be upgraded to 4x4 gold. Better still, prove other D.Ross athletes were cheating...and upgrade the Dutch mixed 4x4 team from 4th to bronze 😀

        But seriously (actually, I was being partly serious...) I don't think Nwokocha's positive is shocking news, and most hardcore athletics fans I interact with on Twitter, who are from all over the globe, were not surprised. It is also clear, as has been discussed by objective fans numerous times, that there is a wider problem with doping in general in the NCAA. But I am not expecting too much objectivity on these forums...

        Comment


        • #5
          Disappointing as she ran anchor on the Nigerian teams that set and African Record and won Commonwealth Games gold, but also finished 4th with an African Record in Oregon.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Wiederganger View Post

            It would be great if they were able to retrospectively prove Randolph had doped in Tokyo; the Dutch men could then be upgraded to 4x4 gold. Better still, prove other D.Ross athletes were cheating...and upgrade the Dutch mixed 4x4 team from 4th to bronze 😀

            But seriously (actually, I was being partly serious...) I don't think Nwokocha's positive is shocking news, and most hardcore athletics fans I interact with on Twitter, who are from all over the globe, were not surprised. It is also clear, as has been discussed by objective fans numerous times, that there is a wider problem with doping in general in the NCAA. But I am not expecting too much objectivity on these forums...
            Would this hypothetical work out? How did the US relays in 2000 keep their medals despite Marion Jones running the finals?

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Wiederganger View Post
              I am not expecting too much objectivity on these forums...
              Correct. We haven't seen any yet in this thread.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by ATK View Post
                Would this hypothetical work out? How did the US relays in 2000 keep their medals despite Marion Jones running the finals?
                According to Wikipedia, the US teams were stripped of their medals in 2007 but were reinstated on appeal because, the rules, as they existed in 2000, didn't state that a relay team was automatically DQ'd if one member failed a drug test.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Atticus View Post
                  Correct. We haven't seen any yet in this thread.
                  I think my introduction was rather objective. But please tell me what is wrong in there ? My take on WA/NCAA is personnal but based on facts and weighted.
                  Last edited by ZazaShoya; 09-05-2022, 03:41 PM.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Atticus View Post
                    Correct. We haven't seen any yet in this thread.
                    Until other countries have a resource like this available to everyone to check -- https://www.usada.org/news/athlete-test-history/ -- I dismiss their concerns out of hand.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Has there ever been a definitive revelation of the nature of Ross' violation?

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by gm View Post

                        Until other countries have a resource like this available to everyone to check -- https://www.usada.org/news/athlete-test-history/ -- I dismiss their concerns out of hand.
                        I suspect there are plenty of countries with very thorough testing regimes where privacy laws mean that information like this could not be made openly available.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Wiederganger View Post

                          But I am not expecting too much objectivity on these forums...
                          Thanks for stepping up to the plate on the admission.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by Trickstat View Post

                            I suspect there are plenty of countries with very thorough testing regimes where privacy laws mean that information like this could not be made openly available.
                            I would guess you're 100% correct. But this leaves all of them open to rampant speculation.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by Trickstat View Post

                              I suspect there are plenty of countries with very thorough testing regimes where privacy laws mean that information like this could not be made openly available.
                              Which is pretty much the same explanation the NCAA gives for not making it's testing information openly available.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X