Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Question about North Corean athletes...

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Question about North Corean athletes...

    I was recently watching a report about North Corea. Then, by curiosity, I've been checking the world T&F top lists (men and women): I didn't see any North Corean T&F world medal potential.
    Any explanation by your side? (They produce world-class champions in judo, weightlifting...)
    Last edited by 79; 09-06-2022, 06:37 PM.

  • #2
    [QUOTE=Atticus;n1771968]It would be insulting for someone to claim to be faster than The Supreme Leader.

    Ahahaha

    Comment


    • #3
      image.pngnfm

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by cladthin View Post
        I think he's probably more of a South Corean kind of guy . . .

        Comment


        • #5
          I think I remember a female 800 meter runner from North Korea named Sin Kim Dan who ran in the low 1:50s many years ago, might have been a WR at the time.

          Comment


          • #6
            1999 World Champion.

            https://www.worldathletics.org/athle...-jong-14295233

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by noone View Post

              I think I remember a female 800 meter runner from North Korea named Sin Kim Dan who ran in the low 1:50s many years ago, might have been a WR at the time.
              "female"

              Finally there was Sin Kim Dan, a delicate little North Korean lass who broke the women's records at both 400 meters and 800 meters two years ago; some time later, an overjoyed elderly gentleman in South Korea recognized Sin as the son he had lost in the war.
              Source: Preserving la Difference

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by bad hammy View Post

                I think he's probably more of a South Corean kind of guy . . .
                At least Corean but not likely to go nuclear on his bandmates so South is probably correct.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by noone View Post
                  I think I remember a female 800 meter runner from North Korea named Sin Kim Dan who ran in the low 1:50s many years ago, might have been a WR at the time.
                  I remember seeing references to her in a few books. She broke world records several times but the results were never ratified. By all accounts she ran the 800 the correct way as a dedicated frontrunner unlike so many loitering Americans before Mu. I just checked YouTube and only found one video, and from beyond her prime, but it seems to verify that she was a frontrunner.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by noone View Post
                    I think I remember a female 800 meter runner from North Korea named Sin Kim Dan who ran in the low 1:50s many years ago, might have been a WR at the time.
                    I had never heard of Sin Kim Dan.
                    Here is some in depth information about her:
                    https://www.racingpast.ca/bob-phillips.php?id=52

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Yep, Ajee' Wilson is a notorious loiterer...

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Davidokun View Post

                        "female"



                        Source: Preserving la Difference
                        Please don't repeat this drivel from a non-track writer who thought he was being witty. Instead, read the excellent article that Jacksf links to.

                        This "they are men" poppycock comes most often from outsiders who have preconceived notions.

                        Sure, we know what we know.

                        In 1976 I was living and working in Trois-Rivières, a French speaking city about 2 hours north of Montreal. I worked at the computer centre of the local university. The East German track team stayed there for a few weeks before the Olympics and because I am fluent in German and French, I was frequently asked to translate. I got to meet and respect those athletes. The throws women were obviously powerfully built, but they were attractive and feminine. Ilona Schoknecht for example (she may have been Slupianek at the time) was a curvaceous blonde, all woman! But some ignorami would ask me how I told the men and women apart. That really made me mad.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by noone View Post

                          Please don't repeat this drivel from a non-track writer who thought he was being witty. Instead, read the excellent article that Jacksf links to.

                          This "they are men" poppycock comes most often from outsiders who have preconceived notions.

                          Sure, we know what we know.

                          In 1976 I was living and working in Trois-Rivières, a French speaking city about 2 hours north of Montreal. I worked at the computer centre of the local university. The East German track team stayed there for a few weeks before the Olympics and because I am fluent in German and French, I was frequently asked to translate. I got to meet and respect those athletes. The throws women were obviously powerfully built, but they were attractive and feminine. Ilona Schoknecht for example (she may have been Slupianek at the time) was a curvaceous blonde, all woman! But some ignorami would ask me how I told the men and women apart. That really made me mad.
                          I like your words. There are still, unfortunately, many stereotypes around women throwers.
                          Most of the time when you approach them, they are hyper kind and graceful.
                          Far away from some arrogant sprint divas who pretend to be queens...

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by noone View Post

                            Please don't repeat this drivel from a non-track writer who thought he was being witty. Instead, read the excellent article that Jacksf links to.

                            This "they are men" poppycock comes most often from outsiders who have preconceived notions.

                            Sure, we know what we know.
                            Thank you.... I had my Korean speaking wife do a rudimentary search of Sin Kim Dan's Korean names on Naver (Koreas no.1 search engine, basically google here ) and lots of pics/info came up, most "recent" is her being honored as some kind of retired sports administrator. She looks an awful lot like all the 70-80 year old Korean grannies who live in our neighborhood and survived WW2 and Korean War as a children, and led a hardscrabble life since the 60's... weathered faces, bent over, not much in the way or make-up or hairstyle...


                            Last edited by DET59; 09-08-2022, 03:55 AM.

                            Comment

                            Working...
                            X