Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fifth Ave Mile (!!)

I'm not much of a road fan, but the 5AveMile this Sunday is load-effin-ed.

Women include Coburn, Hurta, SJohnson, Maclean, McGee, AllieW, plus some furriners: Muir, Reekie and Mageean.
    Men include Gregorek, Holt, Hocker, Kessler, Thompson and some Limey club runner named Wightman.

It'll be on at noon(ish?) on usatf.tv and probably other streams.

I have always enjoyed it, myself. This edition indeed looks like a humdinger.

Comment

Simpson & Centro---two mainstays of this race---are MIA!!

Comment

Nozomi Tanaka is running too ! I like that she's running on the "circuit". It's not common for Japanese distance runners to do that.

Full fields at https://www.nyrr.org/media-center/pr...uemileprofield

The article says it's on NBC at 12pm - 1pm ET.

USATF.tv has both an international live feed for subscribers and a separate free-to-watch live feed for the UK!

Comment

I'd be happy to be wrong, I assume we'll be getting a retirement announcement from Simpson fairly soon.

Comment

Originally posted by aaronk View Post
            Simpson & Centro---two mainstays of this race---are MIA!!
            One is injured and the other hasn't competed all year I don't think.

Comment

Reekie and Wightman defending champs. Reekie not running at the level she did last year, I'm inclined to favor Muir. Wightman has as good a shot as any of the other men, and Kerr is still running well. Hocker is rounding back into form if you're looking for a Merkun hope.

Who ya got?

Comment

Originally posted by Steele View Post
                Reekie not running at the level she did last year, I'm inclined to favor Muir.
                Reekie had mononucleosis/glandular fever at the start of the year. Her 800m form appears to be gradually coming back, but the only 1500s she has run all year were at the Birmingham DL and the Commonwealth Games where she came 5th. Even if she was at her best, I'd still expect Muir to beat her over a mile.

Comment

Jakob needs to make a surprise appearance so that Wightman can't dodge him this time.

Comment

Originally posted by Juicy News View Post
                    Jakob needs to make a surprise appearance so that Wightman can't dodge him this time.
                    Sshhhh! Don't awaken the sleeping Con...um, giant.

I don't think Wightman is the dodging type, just the way the cookie crumbled. He knows he will have a target on his back next time they meet, just like Jakob has a target on his back EVERY time he steps on the track nowadays. As long as it doesn't get out of hand it's good for the sport.

Can you imagine if Jakob shows up in NY, though? People would lose their minds.

Comment

As a huge fan of the 1500m/mile, the 5th ave mile has always meant virtually nothing to me. If Jakob showed up and beat everyone, it would also mean nothing in the grand scheme of things.

Comment

Some of the athletes take it pretty seriously.

Comment

Originally posted by Steele View Post
                          Some of the athletes take it pretty seriously.
                          Laura Muir sure did. Damn she’s tough.

Comment

Ha, brilliant run by Our Laura ! A Course Record, 4:14.8. No-one else within 2.5 seconds.

Comment

Originally posted by billychuck View Post
                              Laura Muir sure did. Damn she’s tough.
                              I think she's the toughest runner, men or women. She seems to embrace the pain.

Comment

Working...
                              X