Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Grant Fisher

My only excuse is that I do not follow TF that closely any more. GF seems to be the genuine article, and his PBs over 3, 5 and 10 K are all very high quality, by any standard. Appears to be very competitive also. Any (special) thoughts from other members would be appreciated, saving me the trouble of digging around on the Internet. Thanks

if you're a subscriber we posted a new Fisher piece to the home page yesterday

Comment

My self-compiled T&F Record Book has something called "Combined Events" lists!
      I know there's an IAAF/WA points table that measures the best combined events athletes, like the best at 100&200, or 5000 & 10000.
      Mine works off the times,themselves, not a points system.

So---
      Fisher's times of 12:46.71 & 26:33.84 adds to 39:20.55, which puts him 5th A-T World.
      His 7:28.48 added to those other times gives him 46:49.03, which places him 5th A-T World also.
      He's easily 1st on both of my US only C-E lists!!
      Last edited by aaronk; 09-07-2022, 09:39 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by catson52 View Post
        My only excuse is that I do not follow TF that closely any more. GF seems to be the genuine article, and his PBs over 3, 5 and 10 K are all very high quality, by any standard. Appears to be very competitive also. Any (special) thoughts from other members would be appreciated, saving me the trouble of digging around on the Internet. Thanks
        As a prep, he was a 2-time Foot Locker XC national champ, then ran a sub-4 mile as a senior in 2015. Also made U.S. World Youth and World Junior T&F teams as a soph and junior. Then 11-time All-American at Stanford, including '17 NCAA 5k champ.

Comment

in the Fisher family tree: his grandfather Al went to Washington State on a skiing scholarship, turned out for track as a soph and was 4th in the '52 NCAA 5000

Comment

Seems like a really humble, likable guy. Makes me think of Daniel-son from the Karate Kid, though not quite as skinny.

Comment

At this risk of armchair coaching out of turn, Fisher is going to be a factor in a fast-paced race but hasn't shown the ability to close the deal. He's 1 for 4 in domestic champs the past two years, losing to Kincaid, Chelimo and Klecker. It takes a real turn of speed to finish on the podium, much less win, on the world stage. Rupp got sprint training from John Smith, kicked down almost all the domestic guys except all-time-great Lagat, and that got him a silver. Once.

Fisher has shown he can run that last 1600 in four minutes, that puts him in the hunt with 200 to go. I hope he can develop that 26 second 200 ability and seal the deal.

Comment

Fishers look more like a 400/800m runner. Not as big as El Caballo but definitely big for a 5-10 K elite.

Comment

Originally posted by Steele View Post
                  Fisher is going to be a factor in a fast-paced race but hasn't shown the ability to close the deal. He's 1 for 4 in domestic champs the past two years, losing to Kincaid, Chelimo and Klecker.
                  I get the impression that in Eugene22 and after, the lights have come on and he understands he has the talent and speed to be SOMEbody!

Comment

Thanks for all your comments.

Comment

Originally posted by gh View Post
                      in the Fisher family tree: his grandfather Al went to Washington State on a skiing scholarship, turned out for track as a soph and was 4th in the '52 NCAA 5000
                      I would have never imagined that Washington State would have a ski team.

Comment

Originally posted by Atticus View Post
                        ...the lights have come on...!
                        I see what you did there.

Comment

Working...
                        X