Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any unusual place where you could imagine a mile race?

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any unusual place where you could imagine a mile race?

The Great Wall of China would be a wonderful place for such a race as the popular Mile on the 5th Avenue, I think...
    Last edited by 79; 09-13-2022, 12:21 PM.

Interesting proposal, two questions: Is there a continuous mile on the Great Wall unobstructed by towers and is the roadway surface suitable for fast running?

Comment

Great Wall Marathon started in '99

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Wall_Marathon

Comment

Constitution Avenue in DC

Comment

The obvious place around here is the Manitou Incline. 2000' elevation gain over about 4880 linear feet from the first to last rail timber, would have to move the start and finish a bit to get 5280'.

https://manitousprings.org/where-to-...nitou-incline/

Comment

• Bruges Canal Mile - beautiful medieval scenes along ancient canals
            • Meteor Crater Out-n-Back - It's one mile with very cool scenics
            • Mall of America Invitational - The biggest mall in the USA. Watch a movie and eat a Cinnabon afterward
            • Inside the Pentagon
            • On an Aircraft Carrier
            • The Treadmill 1609 inside a Typhoon Class Sub
            • Cascada La Mina - El Yunque National Forest - at the end you can cool off in glory
            • The Iceberg Mile - Map a course on a tabular iceberg. Could be fun.
            • image.png
            You there, on the motorbike! Sell me one of your melons!

Comment

"The Iceberg Mile - Map a course on a tabular iceberg. Could be fun."

Great idea, scottmitchell74! 👌🏻👌🏻👌🏻
              With high-performance special spikes for ice, of course!
              This would be an incredible race seen from a drone!

Bruggen, the northern Venecia, is one of the most beautiful cities in Europe! A perfect place for a Mile race!
              Last edited by 79; 09-13-2022, 05:46 PM.

Comment

Churchill Downs

Comment

Stuck on the Eiffel Tower which, as you know, is the most famous monument in Paris, there is a huge garden named Le Champs de Mars, which would be a superb place for a Dream International Mile. Departure and finish lane under the Eiffel Tower!

Comment

In Berlin, start on Liebknecht Bridge at the Spree River, down Unter Den Linden to the Brandenburg Gate.

Comment

In London, from next to the 'Big Ben' clock tower running away from the Thames, turn right into Whitehall passing Downing Street where the Prime Minister lives, turn left at Trafalgar Square, under Admiralty Arch. and then straight up the Mall until about 100m/110y from Buckingham Place appears to be about a mile.

Comment

Some of my ideas, I'm sure like many here, come from actual runs I've done while vacationing.

DrJay - Ah nice! Humans on the horse track. Good one!
                        You there, on the motorbike! Sell me one of your melons!

Comment

Originally posted by scottmitchell74 View Post
                          Some of my ideas, I'm sure like many here, come from actual runs I've done while vacationing.

I did a 20 second Google search to see if there had ever been a human footrace at the Downs and drew a blank. Hard to imagine that nobody in the local Louisville running community has ever approached Churchill Downs management about doing that. I suspect they would get politely turned down.

Comment

Originally posted by scottmitchell74 View Post

Already been done, but on the 1-2 mile track at NY's Yonkers Raceway. There were mile races held in the middle of the harness racing program from 1977-1979. Mark Belger won the first one in 4:00.5, with Matt Centrowitz 2nd in 4:01.3. Ray Flynn won the 2nd edition in 4:00.0 over Sydnee Maree and Centrowitz, and the 3rd was won by Ross Donoghue(4:00.9).
                            The track’s odds-maker presented the following betting line in 1978 (just for fun--there was no betting): Ray Flynn 5-2, Sydney Maree 3-1, Belger 4-1, Centrowitz 8-1, Great Britain’s Chris Stewart 8-1, Byron Dyce 8-1, Mike Roche 12-1, and Bob Snyder 15-1. Flynn said, “Running 1/2-mile laps seemed to take forever”.​
                            That 1978 race was televised live on WPIX in NY and it marked my debut as an on-air commentator. Host Spencer Ross gave the race a big buildup, turned to me and said, “Here to give us a rundown on each runner is our expert, Walter “MURRAY”. He corrected himself when we came back from a commercial, but the damage had been done---some of my “friends” still call me by that name. To make the evening even more memorable, my performance was so riveting that I was relegated to a behind-the-scenes role in TV from that moment on!

Comment

My father once ran a cross-country race at Epsom Downs, the home of the English Derby. I suspect the course may not have gone ;between the rails', but he did say it was hilly and tough.

Comment

Working...
                              X