Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2022 Berlin Marathon

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #31
    Wow!

    No good deed and everything.



    I for one am going to celebrate the insane awesomeness of this.
    You there, on the motorbike! Sell me one of your melons!

    Comment


    • #32
      These negative comments strike me as bizarre. It is an amazing world record against competition that he ran away from in the second half. Certainly in consideration for POY. Kipchoge has rewritten the marathon…

      Comment


      • #33
        Originally posted by noone View Post
        I am disinclined to make him my AOY because he skipped the WC to run in an exhibition. Still, a fabulous performer.
        Say what?

        Comment


        • #34
          Originally posted by NotDutra5 View Post

          Say what?
          I apologize profusely for expressing my opinion, will be more discreet in the future.

          Comment


          • #35
            I've read he wants a third Gold Olympic Marathon medal in Paris.

            Amazing time!!

            Comment


            • #36
              Originally posted by NotDutra5 View Post

              Why should he?
              Because athletics is supposed to be more than paced races with some but not all the very best competitors in the same race.
              some here may love a seeing a big pay day for Kip running another world record , maybe 2023, on the same easy course. Boring for me as I already know he is the best around.It would be great to see what K can do in a competition on a tougher course.
              How satisfying it is to see the worlds top tennis and golf players, now and for years past, go up against their nearest competitors all season, year after year
              ​​​​​​​ And they are richer in winnings than any athlete in t and f.

              Comment


              • #37
                He clearly leans a little toward the record-friendly courses, but Rio and Tokyo weren't cakewalks, and he didn't duck out when the weather went south in London a couple years ago when he finished 7th.

                You can't say he is looking for an easy victory when Adola is in the race. It's not Kipchoge's fault that Adola "under-performed". You don't know what your competition will do on any given day, you assume they are bringing their A game.

                I also wonder how his legs would stand up to the pounding of Boston or the turns and hills of NY. Frank Shorter won Fukuoka four years in a row in the early 70s, I've never heard anyone complain that he ducked out on Boston during his prime (he later gave it a shot post-prime,IIRC).

                Comment


                • #38
                  Originally posted by NotDutra5 View Post

                  Why should he?
                  I am too lazy to find the link to the story, but he has expressed his interest in winning all six world marathon majors.

                  Comment


                  • #39
                    Originally posted by clementina View Post

                    Because athletics is supposed to be more than paced races with some but not all the very best competitors in the same race.
                    some here may love a seeing a big pay day for Kip running another world record , maybe 2023, on the same easy course. Boring for me as I already know he is the best around.It would be great to see what K can do in a competition on a tougher course.
                    How satisfying it is to see the worlds top tennis and golf players, now and for years past, go up against their nearest competitors all season, year after year
                    ​​​​​​​ And they are richer in winnings than any athlete in t and f.
                    The guy is a 2 time Olympic champion and he's at the tail end of his career. Why should be not seek out the fastest courses he can? It isn't as if he's ducking the competition.

                    Comment


                    • #40
                      We are all terribly sorry, NotDutra5, for posting an opinion on this chat site without first checking with you, o Great Expert

                      Comment


                      • #41
                        Kipchoge is 37, turning 38 in November. After a quick perusal of current world records, I see he is the oldest world record breaker (man or woman) of current world records in the sport (age on the day of the world record, not current age).

                        It also appears he is the oldest ever world record breaker in the marathon. But is he also the oldest world record breaker ever across all events? (not counting relays or non-standard events like the 15K or 200m hurdles)

                        Comment


                        • #42
                          Originally posted by noone View Post
                          We are all terribly sorry, NotDutra5, for posting an opinion on this chat site without first checking with you, o Great Expert
                          I'm terribly sorry about commenting on comments on this board...you know...sort of like it is supposed to be.

                          Frankly, it's amazing that there could be negative comments at all on Kipchoge's great run today. But some are apparently never satisfied.

                          Comment


                          • #43
                            Originally posted by NotDutra5 View Post

                            The guy is a 2 time Olympic champion and he's at the tail end of his career. Why should be not seek out the fastest courses he can? It isn't as if he's ducking the competition.
                            I guess in stadia records set in Eugene should have an asterisk since the track is fast. Maybe a world record needs to be on Rekortan that is at least a decade old, rubberized asphalt, or cinders and dirt. Running 42 kilometers in 2:01.09, unless it is one-way,and downhill with a tailwind, is magnificent.

                            Comment


                            • #44
                              Originally posted by 18.99s View Post
                              Kipchoge is 37, turning 38 in November. After a quick perusal of current world records, I see he is the oldest world record breaker (man or woman) of current world records in the sport (age on the day of the world record, not current age).

                              It also appears he is the oldest ever world record breaker in the marathon. But is he also the oldest world record breaker ever across all events? (not counting relays or non-standard events like the 15K or 200m hurdles)
                              If I am not mistaken, Carlos Lopes was 38 yr old and 2 months when he broke the world record in Rotterdam marathon in 1985.

                              Comment


                              • #45
                                Originally posted by TN1965 View Post

                                If I am not mistaken, Carlos Lopes was 38 yr old and 2 months when he broke the world record in Rotterdam marathon in 1985.
                                You are correct. He was born on 18 Feb 1947, according to the World Athletics all-time list.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X